X-fi Xtrememusic. Should I get it? oops, wrong section
Jun 5, 2006 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, it was between this and a 2ZS for my pc.

I can now get this for 81.99 on sale at newegg.com.

Should I buy it? It's a one day sale.

*edit*
oops... meant to put this in the computer as source section

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 85
I enjoy my card. You can do all the funky tweaking you want for games - sounds great for Battlefield 2 and such. However, just remember to disable all of that stuff for music!

I think it sounds really good, but only buy it if you are going to game and watch movies a lot. Although I think it does a nice job with music, I don't plan on upgrading my other PC with an XFi Xtreme Music card. I'd rather take the $100 or so and put it towards a new CDP and headphone amp.

Edited to include a link to a good review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/sound/265/1/

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 85
I would say it would be an even amount of gaming and music. Maybe a bit more music.
I think I'm going to buy the X-fi tonight. The price is right, and I've been looking for a nice sound card. I'm sure everything will be fine.
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 85
If all you do is listen to music, there are much better options that will provide better quality, some cheaper than the X-fi. Like the ESI Juli@ or E-MU 0404. However the X-fi will destroy them for games.

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 85
I think I'm gonna stick with the X-fi. Lately, I've been getting back into more gaming, especially in the FPS genre. I'm thinking of buying the Half life 2 pack that comes with bothe CS and CS:Source, HL, HL 2, and 1 or 2 more games. Right now I've been playing UT 2004, and that's pretty much it for the FPS's.

Any other suggestions for games? (kind of off topic I guess)

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 85
Quake 3, F.E.A.R., Quake 4, and of course, UT2007, which should be out before the end of the year. I cant wait for it, the demo should be out even sooner and the graphics are ridiculous how good they are.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 85
Well consider it ordered. My dad just added the X-fi to the cart on newegg, and I assume he's going to buy it for me when he's done looking around. Unfortunately, I have to pay him back.
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 85
I was happy with my xtrememusic, but I decided the elite pro was a necessity, I didn't like the little outputs and inputs that the xtrememusic offered, and the dacs in the elite pro are much better / I can now use this as a transport thanks to the many inputs / outputs. There are better soundcards, but most are professional and those like the e-mu 0404 will not pass dolby digital or dts signals, therefore rendering them useless to me. I will probably buy a dac in the future, so the elite pro is perfect for me.

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I was happy with my xtrememusic, but I decided the elite pro was a necessity, I didn't like the little outputs and inputs that the xtrememusic offered, and the dacs in the elite pro are much better / I can now use this as a transport thanks to the many inputs / outputs. There are better soundcards, but most are professional and those like the e-mu 0404 will not pass dolby digital or dts signals, therefore rendering them useless to me. I will probably buy a dac in the future, so the elite pro is perfect for me.

Wouldn't you be better off with the X-Fi Xtreme Music if you were going to add an external DAC?

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
Maybe your dad can pick up a new video card for you, too?
icon10.gif

Heh. My birthday's coming up, maybe I'll get a nice card. I was thinking Nvidia instead of another radeon. Do you agree?

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 85
Now's not the best time to buy a new video card. Both nvidia and ATI are going to release their next gen cards before the end of the year, codenamed the G80 (nvidia) and the R600 (ati). If you must get a new one, just get something cheap to tide you over until the real beasts are released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back