X-Fi Titanium -> Optical -> Dac Question...
Apr 9, 2010 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aynjell

Headphoneus Supremus
I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere to this, and very well may make up my mind on my next purchase:

If I use optical out from an X-Fi titanium does it lose all the cool features like CMSS-3D or Crystalizer, etc?

I want my card to still be useful as a device that speeds up games and gives me a few features for tweaking the sound in games (crsystalizer has no place in flac playback with foobar, but helps with some games that have really ****ty sound)...

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Bump, I'm still curious about this. Does anybody know if optical out allows all the extra stuff on creative to work? I imagine it should but I want to make sure. If anybody has experience with the X-Fi titanium and an external dac, please respond.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the manual say?

I couldn't find anything on it in the manual, digital or paper. I imagine a lack of documentation should mean that it would work like normal, but I don't know. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience prior to my spending bucks on an external optical dac...

Also, would you guys believe I'd gain from an external dac?

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 9
I found an external dac better. To get the features to play over your optical turn on stereo mixing while in game or entertainment mode. I then use foobar with wasapi, it bypass all that stuff when listening to music. So I only get the effects when I want them.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found an external dac better. To get the features to play over your optical turn on stereo mixing while in game or entertainment mode. I then use foobar with wasapi, it bypass all that stuff when listening to music. So I only get the effects when I want them.

That's how my current setup is, I just need to get a dac then. Hopefully the cans I just bought are sufficient, then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I use optical out from an X-Fi titanium does it lose all the cool features like CMSS-3D or Crystalizer, etc?

I want my card to still be useful as a device that speeds up games and gives me a few features for tweaking the sound in games (crsystalizer has no place in flac playback with foobar, but helps with some games that have really ****ty sound)...

u will still have all these "Cool features" even if u optical out to an external dac. Just selection the "Mode" in the X-Fi Audio console.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 9
This is from a creative admin in their forums -

Sorry about your experience with support. Please note that EAX effects, CMSS, etc... are not applicable when using a S/PDIF connection. This is true regardless of the X-Fi XtremeGamer or the X-Fi Titanium.

"EAX effects, CMSS, etc... are not applicable when ... - Creative Labs

Someone else chimes in and says it does work, but you need to purchase the $5 DTS/DD addon.

I haven't had time to test it though.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is from a creative admin in their forums -

Sorry about your experience with support. Please note that EAX effects, CMSS, etc... are not applicable when using a S/PDIF connection. This is true regardless of the X-Fi XtremeGamer or the X-Fi Titanium.

"EAX effects, CMSS, etc... are not applicable when ... - Creative Labs

Someone else chimes in and says it does work, but you need to purchase the $5 DTS/DD addon.

I haven't had time to test it though.

Oh dear, that's no good. I think I have the DTS/DD addon. I'll have to do some more researching but I believe my card came with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back