X-Fi settings for competitive FPS gaming with HD598 & titatium HD???
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RedJokr

New Head-Fier
I am completely stumped trying to figure out which combo of settings is giving me the best in-game sound.

I started out with my windows sound set to 5.1 surround with in-game audio also set to 5.1 instead of headphone. Then I had X-Fi CMSS-3D and Crystalizer both enabled. Also left EAX enabled. It sounds alright but has a spacey air sort of noise and the gun shots sound too tinny, and have a really sharp loud noise.

I then disabled CMSS-3D, EAX and the Crystalizer and it sounded way more real and got rid of that Tin noise. I could hear the sound switching from 1 headphone speaker to the other, depending on which way the noise was in-game. whereas before it seemed to come out of both. (sorry if i dont make any sense lol):

Are CMSS-3D and the crystalizer better for low end headphones? Do my 598's really even benefit from these settings? Is it best to leave the in-game audio set to 5.1 speakers or headphones?

As you can see i dont really completely understand this so any insight on these X-Fi setting would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 11
For gaming, turn on CMSS-3D and keep crystalizer off. Keep your Window's sound on 5.1, but in your creative control panel set it to Headphones. For game sound, use as many channels as you can(so 5.1 or greater), although if they have an OpenAL option definitely use that since it provides you with binaural 3D audio.

CMSS-3D is a crossfeed and surround sound simulation DSP. It helps with positioning the audio. EAX adds reverb and stuff. Not sure how often it's even used anymore.

The tin thing sounds like it's coming from crystalizer. That's for making voices and stuff more clear I think. Might help out with hearing footsteps in an FPS game(not sure on this) but is probably not worth messing with the sound so much.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
So you suggest even disabling CMSS-3D?

I don't know exactly what it is. I assume it's like the Dolby headphone from Xonars? Sort of a faux surround sound? Might be worth trying it in game and seeing if having it on or off affects your play. I just prefer everything off.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I don't know exactly what it is. I assume it's like the Dolby headphone from Xonars? Sort of a faux surround sound? Might be worth trying it in game and seeing if having it on or off affects your play. I just prefer everything off.

Yeah, pretty much. Except it only has one setting that is like the reference mode in Dolby Headphone.

It will undeniably help you in gaming if you keep it on. EAX is debatable, but keep CMSS-3D on. Not only does it make positioning more accurate but it makes it less fatiguing due to crossfeed; you don't get that speaker switching effect when spinning in circles but rather a smooth transition.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 11
I agree with chewy4 (I have the the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD and Sennheiser HD 598s as well).

When I listen to music, I use the Audio Creation mode... actually, just follow this guy's advice and you'll be happy (use the WASAPI push output stream): http://www.head-fi.org/t/396565/ck-presents-x-fi-sound-tweak-guide-for-music-version-3-5

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I am completely stumped trying to figure out which combo of settings is giving me the best in-game sound.
I started out with my windows sound set to 5.1 surround with in-game audio also set to 5.1 instead of headphone. Then I had X-Fi CMSS-3D and Crystalizer both enabled. Also left EAX enabled. It sounds alright but has a spacey air sort of noise and the gun shots sound too tinny, and have a really sharp loud noise.
I then disabled CMSS-3D, EAX and the Crystalizer and it sounded way more real and got rid of that Tin noise. I could hear the sound switching from 1 headphone speaker to the other, depending on which way the noise was in-game. whereas before it seemed to come out of both. (sorry if i dont make any sense lol):
Are CMSS-3D and the crystalizer better for low end headphones? Do my 598's really even benefit from these settings? Is it best to leave the in-game audio set to 5.1 speakers or headphones?
As you can see i dont really completely understand this so any insight on these X-Fi setting would be much appreciated! Thanks.

The Titanium HD's headphone output has a 35-Ohm impedance :frowning2:
Adding an external headphone amplifier (Schiit Magni), with a low impedance, for use with the Titanium HD and the HD598, might give a a little boost in over all audio quality for the HD598.
Have you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? (In the BIOS).

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Here are the settings I use:

-Game Mode, obviously.
-X-Fi control panel setting on Headphones, Windows speaker setting on 5.1.
-Crystalizer off. Decent headphones don't need the compander effect.
-EAX enabled and set to 0.0db volume. This ensures it works correctly for games that use EAX effects to begin with, without adding reverb or chorus effects where they don't belong. However, if you ever see any EAX settings that sound like room presets (which only applies to Entertainment and Audio Creation Modes), that should always be off.
-CMSS-3D Headphone on, Elevation Filter on, MacroFX auto or off unless you don't mind the significant volume increase in nearby sounds that may be uncomfortable.
-EQ and bass boost set to taste.

There are a few more settings I could elaborate on, but they're on a per-game basis.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 11
  Here are the settings I use:

-Game Mode, obviously.
-X-Fi control panel setting on Headphones, Windows speaker setting on 5.1.
-Crystalizer off. Decent headphones don't need the compander effect.
-EAX enabled and set to 0.0db volume. This ensures it works correctly for games that use EAX effects to begin with, without adding reverb or chorus effects where they don't belong. However, if you ever see any EAX settings that sound like room presets (which only applies to Entertainment and Audio Creation Modes), that should always be off.
-CMSS-3D Headphone on, Elevation Filter on, MacroFX auto or off unless you don't mind the significant volume increase in nearby sounds that may be uncomfortable.
-EQ and bass boost set to taste.

There are a few more settings I could elaborate on, but they're on a per-game basis.

Sorry for late post, but I just grabbed this card (Was using a ZX-R and still have it, but thinking the X-Fi is nice) and want to get the best out of it. NamelessPFG, do you use the standard official drivers for your X-Fi or something else?

Also, I plan to get a pair of X1's as they seem to be a recommendation for gamers, what AMP would you put with the X-Fi and X1's if any?

Cheers

Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back