x-fi Fatal1ty settings
Jul 31, 2008 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ScottieB

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been addressed, tried searching and was left with this question...

I am using the coax out on my x-fi to a zero dac to a LD MKIII tube amp. It is my understanding that "audio creation mode" with "bit perfect" out is ideal. I've also read that I should set it to 2.0/2.1 output instead of headphones (as headphone does some extra processing). If this is correct, can I assume that the card will mixdown any multi-channel audio to 2-channel as per my settings? I have some multi-channel flac's I ripped from DVD-audio and wanted to make sure I'd have all the channels mixed in through my 'phones. Thanks.

ScottieB

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Usually the playback program (or an external codec in the case of movies) is responsible for that mixdown. Neither the driver mixdown nor the playback mixdown will be perfect, but one may sound better than the other. Just remember that if your playback program is set to mixdown, the drivers see a regular two-channel mix and do not perform additional mixdown. If no programs or codecs are mixing down the multi-channel mix, the drivers should handle it since they're set to two-channel.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks infinitesymphony.

So if I have foobar set to go ASIO out with the left and right channels mapped, is that enough, or do I need to use a dsp or some other setting to have it mixdown?

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might have to use the 'Convert 5.1 to stereo' DSP. I can't remember ever using it... Foobar may mixdown on its own. It couldn't hurt to try it with and without and listen for a difference.

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks infinitesymphony.

So if I have foobar set to go ASIO out with the left and right channels mapped, is that enough, or do I need to use a dsp or some other setting to have it mixdown?

I think you need the resampler(PPHS) and advance limiter. I also use a crossfeed and a noise sharpener.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks all, this is starting to make sense - one more question (for now.. heh) - the 5.1 mixdown DSP works pretty well - but I also have a couple that are quad vinyl rips - will the 5.1 dsp also mix this down or do I need another one? there is a stereo to quad, but no the other way around. A quick search on google didn't turn anything up.

thx

edit: in turning on and off the 5.1 dsp while playing a quad flac file, I hear no change. Think I need to find a quad to stereo dsp.. although it seems to sound ok as is... hmm

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 8
^ I think that is only true in certain circumstances - and either way, it doesn't automatically mix down multichannel sound, even if the output is only stereo. I did, however, find a dsp called "channel mixer" which you can set up to mixdown (or up) any combination of multi-channel sound to any other combo. Works like a charm - and I seem to be all set up. Thanks all for your input!

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back