X-Fi, bit perfect, and optical outputs
May 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DemonicLemming

500+ Head-Fier
I've read a few threads on this, but I'm still a tad confused.

I've got an X-Fi Titanium on a Win7 computer, being used only as an output device/transport (via optical) to an external DAC, using foobar as the media player.  I want to set it up to play bit-matched.  From what I've read, I'm under the assumption that I need to do the following:

- Download and "install" the WASAPI dll for foobar.
- Set the output device as "WASAPI S/PDIF" in foobar, at 24-bit, with a buffer length long enough to not cause music drop-out, but short enough to not cause foobar GUI lag.
- Run the X-Fi in Audio Creation mode via the Console.

Anything I'm missing or got wrong?  I've seen a few references to the X-Fi not doing true bit-matched playback via the S/PDIF outputs, but nothing definitive.

May 3, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 5
That's it.
In Audio Creation mode, you select "Bit-matched playback" somewhere.  (Options/Properties?)
I've forgotten.  I used to do the same thing.

May 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Creative's ASIO only works with analogue output.
I tried to force it to output through SPDIF or USB and then the soundcard's drivers crash horribly and take my whole system with them.  =\
I was told later by both Creative and other users that Creative's ASIO is only for analogue output, not digital.

May 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Not sure if I'm set up right, but I have ASIO working here with optical out. Turn on bit-matching playback and play stereo mix using digital output. The sample rate changes accordingly to the source material on the DACMagic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back