X-cans v2 review
Aug 17, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #16 of 35
Whoops
smily_headphones1.gif

Must have clicked on the wrong profile button... he has the 565s... not 600s..

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Nacher
I just received my X-Cans v2, and so far I think I'm dissapointed. It sounds identical to my protableCD headphone jack. Couldn't have a chance of separating those two in a blind test. ......

DO you mind telling us the NAME and MODEL # of this amazing portable player that can drive HD600 to the same level as Xcanv2 ?

I am sure I am not the only one who wants to check out this amazing portable cd player... Maybe I will just buy that and skip the Cosmic that I plan to pick up from headroom~!

Please tell us !

Tides

Aug 17, 2001 at 7:09 AM Post #20 of 35
Maybe you wan't to buy my soundcard too? It also sounds just the same as X-Can V2.

Well there is a difference at very loud levels, where X-Can can use it's additional power to keep the sound clear. However, I don't listen that loud ...

Yes, I have HD-600 and I'm listening both to mp3 and CD:s (from cdrom as a source). I'm trying this amp with a cheap desktop CD player today, and later on with the dac when I get my optical cable.

Aug 17, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #21 of 35
There's a serious problem somewhere, then. There is *no* way that the HD600s should sound the same from your discman or soundcard as through the X-CANv2.

The possible explanations:

1) The data: MP3s should still show improvement (or have their deficiencies revealed), but their poor quality when listened to through a 600/X-CANv2 combo could be the problem.

2) The source: sound cards and portable CD players aren't exactly on par with the 600s and X-CANv2. Maybe the X-CAN is driving the 600s better, but the combo is also more revealing of flaws so the end result doesn't sound much better?

3) The listener: the truth is some people just don't have the ears to hear major differences. I have plenty of friends who simply can't hear much difference between my MD player and KSC-35s and my Max and HD600s
wink.gif

These are just some possible factors. Whatever the reason, there's something going on -- the HD600/X-CANv2 combo is one of the better headphone systems under $600.

Aug 17, 2001 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 35
I do think that my hearing is sufficient to hear differences beetween X-Cans and discman, in case those differences exist. So far, I can't find any differences =(.

If the sound would show more flaws of source and mp3, then it would so different, right? Anyway, there are no differences in the sound. Identical in color, soundstage and details. And yes, my mp3 are of high quality. Lame encoded 192+.

I'll see later tonight when I get my DAC. If I won't get any better sound with it, then I will feel like I would have been ripped off...

Aug 17, 2001 at 1:52 PM Post #23 of 35
This is interesting point you did Nacher. Recently I was auditioning X-Can(v2) with my HD580 headphones and compared them to the headphone output of my portable CDP Technics SL-XP350 (7 years old). X-Can(v2) amp was connected to portable link output. After few hours of switching from one source to other I concluded that the difference was very small and was exposed only on particular music.
For example I tested Vanessa Mae: The Violin Player that I was not able to distuinguish on any source
smily_headphones1.gif
(probably due to the techno nature of the sound). On completely different instrumental recording with outstanding (female) vocal, I was able to percieve small difference I would describe as "more open or nature" sound.
After that I have tried (just for curiosity) to audition the same CD on X-CDP X-Can(v2) combo and compared it to X-Can(v2) portable combo. For those two cases I did not find any differences at all. Maybe I was already tired in listening, but in the same time I also tried to audition HD600 from the studio (just for curiosity) and immediately could tell the difference from my HD580, so I was not completely deaf yet
smily_headphones1.gif
Conclusion, I would say that not every portable has to have bad output, and more, I believe that people tend to exaggregate, when describing the difference they hear after they added headphone amp to their portable.
IMHO to significantly improve the sound from headphones like Senn HD580 or HD600 one should invest quite a bit in CDP as well. BTW: Later then I had an opportunity to listen to NAIM CDP with "normal" speakers and it indeed sounded better then my HD580 and Technics portable, but CDPs priced in the USD 300 level, I would say, do not justify USD 250 head amp.

Aug 17, 2001 at 1:59 PM Post #24 of 35
Just to add, accidentally I happen to sport Vortex2 based card (Diamond MX300) in my computer too. This card has very good S/N ratio (for mainstream PC cards) and also has no problem driving my HD580. I cannot comment on its DAC or other qualities, but just like to point out it is not complete trash as some other soundcards
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 35
At least now I'm sure that interconnects are irrelevant. Peopel are trying to fine tune their amp sounds with those, and even the amps sound so similar...

BTW I have the DAC now, and it didn't do any noticeable difference. Maybe a bit more treble though.

Aug 17, 2001 at 4:02 PM Post #26 of 35
I'am not surprised that Nacher doesn't find much difference with the X-Can.
This is a situation where the rule "crap in, crap out" applies.
Sorry, Nacher I don't mean to offend you gear
biggrin.gif
. Just saying that the X-Can will sound awfull if fed from a bad source.
This just shows that the weakest link is actually the portable's DAC.

Try to connect the X-Can to at least mid priced desctop CDP. Even better if the think has a headphone jack. This would allow for some better comparison. If you still can't hear a difference, yeah ebay the thing and get some TA instead.

Aug 17, 2001 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 35
That crap in, crap out principle is so false.

I just got cables for my DAC today. Audio Alchemy v1.0, and it should be head and shoulders above low range CDP:s. Well guess what, still no difference at all.

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:18 PM Post #28 of 35
While I find the Vortex 2 can drive my Hd580s to loud volume levels without much clipping or noise degratadation, there still is a rather noticeable difference when listening to the X-cans. If you think there is no difference in sound and your cans sound good anyway, save yourself some money.

Aug 17, 2001 at 7:47 PM Post #30 of 35
Nacher: Do not get desperate
confused.gif
I believe even that Aureal Vortex is good hardware it is not the right one to source X-Can HD600 combo. Try some normal CDP before you get rid of X-Can. I am suspsicious that the subtleties in sound are hard to percieve in computer noise and you might give up prematurely
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back