X-Can (V3) tube rollers, a moment of your time
Sep 8, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by StuPDasso
Like Sgt-Pluck I wouldn't mind some advice on tube choice for the X-can v3.

Following what Kees posted above about matching tubes to 'phones, I'd be interested on hearing you opinions on tubes for the k701's. I bought the v3 expecting to get the 650's but ended up with the akg's.

I've already replaced the stock tubes with the jj electronic's e88cc as recommended by 'Nick Dangerous' on the Rock Grotto site and found a great improvement in soundstage depth and size. The middle filled in and lost the slightly hollow sound that was present with the JAN Phillip's. Now, I don't know if that improvement was because the e88cc's are simply 'better' tubes or if the stock ones were on their way down (I bought the amp used and have no idea of the hours on the tubes).

Ideally I would like to add some life to the presentation. I would imagine that would involve getting some speed from the amp and not adding colour to the top end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Rob

While you may find some tubes that improve the XCAN v3's sound with AKG's, the stock JAN Phillips tubes are great with the Senns, which need a tube that will make them sound faster, airier, and brighter - which the stock tubes do. Those are attributes, which the AKG's may not need enhanced, which the Senns do. The stock tubes also seem to have plenty of "life," or "energy" (I guess PRAT) with the Senns and Grados, which tend to be lively anyway - though they may not provide as much 3D imaging, and magical soundstaging, as is achieved with SET amps like the WooAudio 3 (or perhaps other hybrids).

But... the Senns also sound good with the 6H23N's (recommended by PinkFloyd, which have a very solid, weighty, but detailed sound), and the Amperex Holland Orange Globes (which have a bit smoother sound). The 6H23N's especially also seem to add just a bit of pace, drive and punch to the sound with the Senns, which adds a bit of "life" also.

So... optimum tube selection will depend not only on the user's preferences, but also on the attributes of the phones, and other components used (as always).

Sep 8, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 24
So which tubes would you recommend for X-Cans+701 rig?

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by StuPDasso
I've already replaced the stock tubes with the jj electronic's e88cc as recommended by 'Nick Dangerous' on the Rock Grotto site

You didn't see any recommendation for the JJ valves on my site, no way
wink.gif
Nick liked them I think but pinkie (me) (Rock Grotto) had this to say about them: taken from http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/valvetest.htm

Test one: JJ Electronics E88CC

I initially tried a pair of JJ E88CC's and was very "underwhelmed" with their sound. It was suggested I try a pair from an older batch as the newer batch I had listened to had a slightly different design to the older batch which had shiny pins as opposed to the newer batches black pins. I was expecting to be overwhelmed by the older batch Valves (if the rave reviews are anything to go by) but, unfortunately, found them to impart the same sonic blandness I encountered with the "newer" batch.

Old batch and new batch alike: The X-Can tended to sound diffuse rather than properly focused, with a noticeably de-emphasised treble and midrange. Instruments on Martin Taylor's "Spirit of Django" sounded sickly-sweet, and the music was not as open or as transparent as it could be. Vocals were "nice" but it was a shame about the bathroom they were recorded in!. The music through these valves was uninvolving, distant and had a very "rubbery" quality which gave the impression you were listening to neoprene coated musicians. Very hard to put into words but "smooth", "mushy", "veiled" and "downright unnatural" are a few words which spring to mind.

These certainly tame the "brightness" the stock JAN/Philips 6922's have been accused of. Unfortunately, they also dampen every aspect of the music and throw a very thick carpet between the music and the listener. If you want this effect then don't replace the stock valves with JJ E88CC's... Get down to your nearest carpet supplier and buy some underlay, place this between your headphones and ears and Voila! Mission accomplished. Very Very disappointing indeed.

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aethelred
So which tubes would you recommend for X-Cans+701 rig?

I have no idea, since I've never heard the K701's with the XCAN v3... but, I would think the Saratov 6H23N's might sound good with the AKG's... since those tubes tend to enhance the dynamics and punch of the bass, and lower mids, and may add some tone body and weight overall - these sound like they would benefit the K701's.

See "mrarroyo" he's got both, and has tried several tubes with this amp.

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #20 of 24
To Pink Floyd (Mike)

Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth or attribute a recommendation to you that you didn't make. There is a link on your site to his site where he recommends those tubes. My apologies for my mistake.

However, you do seem to be the most knowelgeable about the X-cans and I bought the v3 because of all the work that you've done with the amp, especially the 'pink floyd mod' which I intend to attempt in the near future. So, am I right to believe that the russian 6n23's are what you would recommend in my case (in most cases)? All things equal I would give your opinion the most weight due to your extentsive testing with the amp.

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #21 of 24
as far as i know, 6h23n, 6n23p, 6h23 are all the same tube. the differences come from the fact that in russian, h looks like n looks like p so you see different attempts to translate to english.

i noticed a bit more bass too after i first put em in my v3, but either due to burn in or getting used to the sound, i didnt find it bad at all. i still hear a lot of detail and soundstage is great. using this with senn650 with pinkie's upgrades, btw.

good luck on your tube rolling! i agree with pink to let the 6h23s run for a while, you have them anyway.

Sep 10, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap
as far as i know, 6h23n, 6n23p, 6h23 are all the same tube. the differences come from the fact that in russian, h looks like n looks like p so you see different attempts to translate to english.

i noticed a bit more bass too after i first put em in my v3, but either due to burn in or getting used to the sound, i didnt find it bad at all. i still hear a lot of detail and soundstage is great. using this with senn650 with pinkie's upgrades, btw.

good luck on your tube rolling! i agree with pink to let the 6h23s run for a while, you have them anyway.

Correct. In the Russian alphabet the H is (pronounced like) our N. So 6H23 = 6N23.

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees
Correct. In the Russian alphabet the H is (pronounced like) our N. So 6H23 = 6N23.

But... does the difference identify tubes from different factories (i.e. Sarotov, Voshkod, etc.) - so that 6H23N may be from the Saratov factory, while the 6N23 might be from another?

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
But... does the difference identify tubes from different factories (i.e. Sarotov, Voshkod, etc.) - so that 6H23N may be from the Saratov factory, while the 6N23 might be from another?

I don't know. What I do know is that in Russian the H = N. They don't have a letter that looks like our N. Except maybe the mirrored N which is their i. I think the confusion is because their "N" is written like our "H".
So 6H23N is not an indication that can exist on a Russian tube I think. (because they don't have a letter that looks like an "N" in their alphabet). Except maybe when it is spelled wrong and the N is actually a "mirrored N", which is our "i"...
biggrin.gif

I studied Russian for a while, but that is a long time ago, my knowledge may be a bit rusty by now, but I am shure about the letters.
Maybe someone from Russia can chime in and explain about the tube markings used on Russian tubes, I am no expert on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back