Wyred4sound DAC2 + HD800'S - What HP amp ?
Jun 16, 2011 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hedphonz

100+ Head-Fier
after just acquiring the HD800's i realise my Graham Slee Solo amp isnt up to the task of driving them properly so am looking to upgrade with a suitable SS amp and based upon what im reading here amps like the phoenix, phonitor, lehmann BCL, luxman P1u etc come to mind.

As im not able to audition due to availability im hoping that some of you head-fiers may be familiar with the wyred4sound dac2 sound signature and perhaps are able to steer me towards an amp that may be better suited rather than me just randomly picking one of the popular candidates.

Im willing to spend between about US$1500  and dont mind balanced or unbalanced.

any comments are appreciated

PS: im hearing too much treble/sibilance and not enough warmth or bass which is why i rightly or wrongly think that the Slee may require replacing.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 5
head on over to the Woo thread and ask there. I hear the Woo WA22 is a good match for the HD800.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/10920#post_7545675

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 5
If I remember correctly, the SPL Auditor offers the same sound quality as Phonitor (without all the imagining capabilities).

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Woo WA22 is excellent.  Warrior Ant is right.  A few guys w/that setup already over there.  I have the WA22+W4S DAC2+T-1's  Awesome!  I am getting a Cavalli Liquid Fire soon too!  That will be incredible as well!

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
after just acquiring the HD800's i realise my Graham Slee Solo amp isnt up to the task of driving them properly so am looking to upgrade with a suitable SS amp and based upon what im reading here amps like the phoenix, phonitor, lehmann BCL, luxman P1u etc come to mind.

As im not able to audition due to availability im hoping that some of you head-fiers may be familiar with the wyred4sound dac2 sound signature and perhaps are able to steer me towards an amp that may be better suited rather than me just randomly picking one of the popular candidates.

Im willing to spend between about US$1500  and dont mind balanced or unbalanced.

any comments are appreciated

PS: im hearing too much treble/sibilance and not enough warmth or bass which is why i rightly or wrongly think that the Slee may require replacing.

I've never heard the P1, but the AGD Phoenix and BCL would probably  be bad matches for your setup. The Phonitor may be OK, it's pretty smooth and laid back for SS.

You sure you want to stay solid state? At $1500-$2000, there is one amp I could think of that takes care of all the issues you have with your current setup: the Eddie Current Super 7, but unfortunately, that amp isn't even yet in production. A lot of the lusher sounding Woos would be a good idea too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back