:wumpscut
Jul 24, 2003 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

geom_tol

100+ Head-Fier
After reading another thread which cought my eye because of Front 242 in the title I got my hands on the following Wumpscut albums which have been in heavy rotation the last couple weeks:
Bunker gate Seven
The mesner Tracks
Born again
Blutkind
Wreath of barbs

Wumpscut is wicked! I used to listened to Front 242 a lot and never knew there were other bands that sounded like them. I like wumpscut better than Front, more varied and interesting imo. Not as danceable as Front but still has that repetitive driving beat.
The funny voices he uses on some tracks are cool (like the Gollum voice on Born Again).

I've been using the similar artists and recommendation features on Allmusic.com and Amazon. And there seem to be a couple more bands that have the 'electro - industrial' sound.

If the 'rivet heads' on here could reccomend other bands with a similar sound that would be awesome. And I much prefer synths to guitars for this type of music.
Funker Vogt has been mentioned here before. From the snippets I've heard on amazon they could be another match for me...

Jul 24, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 23
Go for something harder and try the bands on Ant-Zen
wink.gif

- Chris

Jul 24, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol
After reading another thread which cought my eye because of Front 242 in the title I got my hands on the following Wumpscut albums which have been in heavy rotation the last couple weeks:
Bunker gate Seven
The mesner Tracks
Born again
Blutkind
Wreath of barbs

I think you were reading my last few posts on that thread. There are two really good WUMPSCUT albums missing from your list that are better than some you already have:
-Embryodead
-Dried Blood of Gommorrah

Very similar sounding to Wumpscut is LEATHERSTRIP, who had many albums but hard to get, same dark electro industrial sound. You can get some very good "best of" collections new/used whic include:
-Retrospective
-Penetrate the Satanic

You may also be able to find new/used copy of album:
-Fit for Flogging

Forget FUNKER VOGT, very different from Wumpscut, just repetetive EBM style with no edge.

You should also try 1st APOPTYGMA BESERK album remaster with bonus tracks:
-Apopcalyptic Manifesto
It has a hard dark electro sound which unfortunately softened considerably on subsequent albums.

Also ASSEMBLAGE 23 and VNV NATION depending on what album you select are 50/50 dark electro and EBM, I like them alot but they can be a bit repetitive:
Assemblage 23 - Failure + Contempt
VNV Nation - Empires + Future Perfect

My favorite industrial/electro group is SKINNY PUPPY but that is a long story. If for some unknown reason you don't have have the new singles collection..............it must be purchased NOW!

Skinny Puppy

As I have mentioned to DUSTY many times this is the single greatest CD in the history of Industrial/Electo, remastered sound will blow you away
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2003 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 23
Another band litlebit similar but more raw sound is Dødheimsgard.

Jul 28, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 23
Oh, man, I gotta go to bed, and I run into this thread! Well, let me just throw out a couple:

Mentallo & the Fixer - Where Angels Fear To Tread and Revelations 23...their newer one, Vengeance is Mine is surprisingly good, albeit different from the previous two.

I really like Evil's Toy (now T.O.Y.) -- For Angels Only is one of those rare "perfect" albums.

Definitely listen to Dark Angel, he knows what he's talking about.

A lot of Front Line Assembly is considered classic -- especially the early stuff up until Tactical Neural Implant, their creative peak.

I'm thinking you'd probably like Nitzer Ebb, Project Pitchfork, Velvet Acid Christ, X Marks the Pedwalk (especially the two compilations), Haujobb (Homes and Gardens, Freeze Frame Reality, etc.)...and don't totally ignore Funker Vogt, they're not as bad as Dark Angel would say. Just start with their first two albums.

Alright, that's all I'm coming up with right now, in terms of mainstream acts.

Oh, and if you want something a little different, try Oneiroid Psychosis -- very good.

Jul 29, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 23
Dusty Chalk:
That will keep me busy for a while!
I have the Nitzer Ebb albums. And some of the later Front Line Assembly stuff, none of the earlier, so I will get that.
Haven't heard of any of the oher bands so I will try to get hold of their stuff one at a time.

I got the Skinny Puppy collection yesterday. Can't believe I haven't listened to these guys before. I have heard of them of course but never listened to them.

Jul 29, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 23
Here's some favourites of mine not already mentioned...

Numb, "Blood Meridian"

Xorcist, "Soul Reflection"

Scar Tissue, "TMOTD"

Kalte Farben, "Trust in Opium"

Gridlock, anything by them really, but closer to this style are "The Synthetic Form" and "Further"

Jul 30, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 23
Funker Vogt next album needs to be called On Life Support because this band used up all its tricks with Thanks for Nothing and We Came to Kill. I mistakingly bought Survivor thinking it might actually be better than Maschine Zeit but it sucks, badly.

In addition to what everybody else has recommended:

Decoded Feedback Bio-Vital: If you like :wumpscut: you will probably like this album. This is Decoded Feedback's best album, and although their newer stuff and some older stuff is good, they change styles with nearly every album.

Hocico Signos de Aberracion: Another "if you like :wumpscut:", this Mexican industrial group has some nice beats and lots of aggression, with some interesting instrumental tracks.

Diary of Dreams One of 18 Angels

Numb Wasted Sky

Angels & Agony Eternity

Jul 30, 2003 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol
I got the Skinny Puppy collection yesterday. Can't believe I haven't listened to these guys before. I have heard of them of course but never listened to them.

Are you impressed with sound quality & musical style?

To me they are the highest evolution of the electro/industrial genre, very dense layered works that slowly reveal themselves like many layers of an onion peeling back.

OGRE does not sing in the conventional sense, but has an almost random stream of conscious narrative style, always on the dark nightmarish side of things. If you ever read any lyrics they are pretty amazing.

Remaining members are extremely influential and prolific in this genre:
-Cevin Key
-Dwayne Goettel (RIP)
-Dave Ogilvie
-Al Jourgenson (Rabies album)

If you like "singles" collection I would start with BITES/REMISSION albums and get them all up to TOO DARK PARK (all are excellent and become increasingly dense, complex, challenging)

Aug 2, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 23
When it comes to industrial, I love the older stuff. Glenn Branca, Foetus and Throbbing Gristle are my favorites.

You really should check out Foetus. There is nothing like pure, through composed industrial made with tape loops and all sorts of strange things. I guess it could be considered more on the experimental side. Check out Nail and Hole, as they are the two better known albums from foetus. Jim Thirlwell (the main guy behind it all) also makes some really awesome music under the manorexia project. Steroid Maximus is very cool as well. Just listen to it!

If your more into the German Synthpop sounds, then And One is up your alley. Im not really into that anymore, since most of it seems to be made for dance now.

Aug 3, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 23
It's going to take some time to go through all the recommended albums.
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I have listened to these:
Apoptygma Berserk: 7 & Harmonizer: They're very soft, techno trance like almost. I do not have the album Dark Angel recommended yet.

Assemblage 23: Defiance. Also soft.

Evil's toy: For angels only: Almost synth pop imo. great album.

Funker Vogt - Execution tracks & Survivor: Not bad.

None of these are like :wumpscut, but I'm happy I got them cause I like them. I've got a bunch of the others coming.

Aug 3, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 23
Glad you are liking these new groups you are discovering
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like those Funker Vogt albums, you might like their first two albums We Came To Kill and Thanks for Nothing even more.

And if you like the synthpop sound of Evil's Toy then you might also like their latest album, under the name T.O.Y., White Lights. A bit different from For Angels Only and my favorite Evil's Toy album XTC Implant and a bit softer since it is synthpop rather than the synthpop/industrial mesh of Evil's Toy but still quite good.

Another pretty good group to check out is Zeromancer. They so far have two albums, Clone Your Lover and Eurotrash, and the former is my favorite of the two. A bit different from the other groups that have been suggested here but you might like them.

Aug 3, 2003 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 23
All this chatter has caused me to seek out more old LEATHER STRIP, was ablle to find a couple more used Cds for my collection which should arrive soon.
-legacy of hate
-underneath the laughter

Quote:

Apoptygma Berserk: 7 & Harmonizer: They're very soft, techno trance like almost. I do not have the album Dark Angel recommended yet.

First album has much more edge and closer in style to Wumpscut.

Quote:

Assemblage 23: Defiance. Also soft.

Very deep and dark however, if I could just remove some of that EBM stuff they would be really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back