WTFFFFF happend to my ipod?????
Dec 5, 2007 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

only500made

100+ Head-Fier
mad.gif
ok so i connected my ipod to my itunes this morning and i noticed something was wrong. somehow my itunes detected my ipod as a new device and asked me what i do want to do, etc etc.

as of yesterday i had 55 GB of music and now i have Fn 20 GB
mad.gif
it tried deleting my pictures too so i unplugged it.

I swear to my life i did not change anything on my itunes and neither on my ipod. nobody uses itunes here but myself.
mad.gif
i dont know what to do now. i think im SOL.

EDIT

yeap, everything gone right now. i have that stinkin 20GB of music left.

heres what my ipod looks like right now. i cannot click on any song or add any

6z702v6.jpg

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, what version is your iTunes and iPod? Lately there have been some updates that screw up the iPod and/or iTunes (see ilounge.com's forums).

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 17
Maybe it doesn't like easy listening, Sinatra and your music selections???
confused.gif

Seriously, now: have you tried the restore function?? Whereby you revert to factory settings??

Have you a backup system in place where you can restore from that???

Or, finally, can you get back to another Itunes version/update?? As marching Mule said, some of these updates wreak havoc on your Ipod.

O and I share your tastes-=-hours of Sinatra, Bennett, Fitzgerald, etc. Just kidding with the first sentence
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 17
I dont use my iPod much but I think the automatic Sync function might be to blame. The itunes software allows an automatic sync when you connect an ipod but the sync can work unidirectionally or bidirectionally and in either direction.

That is if it is set incorrectly it can sync a nice full libarary on the ipod with a half-empty library on a PC and give you back the half-empty library on the ipod.

You can disable this, I did, then the sync has to be activated manually.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah it's syncing, so the iPod is going to mirror what ever is on your iTunes library. Can be good can be bad.

I like it as my play counds/ratings all get synced, and its just plug in and let it do its thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 17
Your problem is that you changed your iTunes library on your computer, and it updated your iPod to reflect the change. If you don't want to maintain a backup on your computer, you will need to click MANUAL sync. While you're in AUTO sync, all of the songs in your iPod are greyed out.

See ya
Steve

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

you changed your iTunes library on your computer

again as i said, I didn't change any settings at all. It's been always on "manually manage music and videos".

Yes, I do have autosync on, how do i set it to manual?

I knew these updates would mess up my ipod one day and it came yesterday. I noticed apple has been doing a HELL LOT of updates lately and it's ridiculous.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 17
It has nothing to do with Apple's updates. You can't be in both autosync and manual mode. It's time to read your manual.

Are all of your tracks on your computer's hard drive? If so, just create a new iTunes library and add them again.

See ya
Steve

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 17
of course, you could say adios to iTunes completely, and simply use Winamp after d/l the iPod Support .dll . It also means nice easy drag and drop directly into your iPod.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 17
Reading the manual a little bit makes any program work better. The problem here isn't iTunes.

See ya
Steve

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 17
My new Touch had an out-of-the-box issue in which iTunes opened the "Let's Get Started" dialogue screen every time I connected the iPod. That includes even after loading the player with a 5GB library.

Did it a couple of times, so I said 'screw it' and did a restore. That forced everything to be re-loaded of course, and it's been behaving properly since then.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 17
read my manual? im sorry, but I did that almosta year ago now since I got my ipod. Ive never had this problem until now. I have the 60GB 5th gen which i bought on feb 06.

just an update, i found another problem, some songs that didnt originally have album art has album art now and it isnt even the proper album art. like for example, i have a tupac album on my ipod yesterday and the album art was also on kanye's graduation album.

i dont know what the hell happened here, but il try to use winamp this time.

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 17
If you've had the thing for over a year and one day it goes haywire, my suggestion would be something's been corrupted, either on the device or on your computer. The album art wierdness sounds like tagging issues but who knows? The lost music is even harder to troubleshoot.

Is iTunes set to auto arrange your music file system? If so something could have gone wrong there. I notice some errors in iTunes' folder management, i.e., creating and placing an Album folder in the root 'Music' library folder (instead of inside the Artist folder where it should be).

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
read my manual? im sorry, but I did that almosta year ago now since I got my ipod. Ive never had this problem until now.

Have you tried looking for the files on the hard drive of your computer where they should be backed up in the iTunes library folder? You do maintain a backup, right?

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back