WTB: Switchable stereo/mono box
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
I posted this here, because DIY'ers are my most likely shot at obtaining something like this. I'm looking for a device/box that can accept two RCA (female) inputs on one end of it and two RCA (female) outputs on the other end of it. The box needs to be able to do both of the following:
  1. Pass the inputs through to the outputs as they are (L to L, R to R), or....
  2. ....with the flick or turn of a switch, sum the two inputs, and pass the summed inputs to each of the two outputs (L+R to L, L+R to R).
The reason I'm asking for this is because someone very close to me has recently had surgery that has resulted in 100% deafness in one ear. There is at least one other person at the home with hearing in both ears, and who would prefer to listen in stereo when alone, which is why I'm requesting that it is switchable.

If this is something you can construct to sell, can you please contact me via PM with quotes for such a device?

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #2 of 10
http://www.edcorusa.com/sound/matchers/s2m.htm

Posted in a thread not too long ago here, please use the search next time
wink.gif
. You will want to get a seperate switchbox to switch between mono and stereo, 1 in and 2 out, just put that box inline on one side and have it wired straight for the other.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
http://www.edcorusa.com/sound/matchers/s2m.htm

Posted in a thread not too long ago here, please use the search next time
wink.gif

But it looks to only have one RCA jack for the mono output. I'm looking for the box to have two jacks for output so that it can be used to pass the stereo signal through unchanged, or convert the stereo signal to mono (both outputs playing the exact same mono signal in this mode) when being watched by an individual with hearing in only one ear (to prevent the odd sense of dipping amplitude when the sound shifts hard to the deaf side).

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
But it looks to only have one RCA jack for the mono output. I'm looking for the box to have two jacks for output so that it can be used to pass the stereo signal through unchanged, or convert the stereo signal to mono (both outputs playing the exact same mono signal in this mode) when being watched by an individual with hearing in only one ear (to prevent the odd sense of dipping amplitude when the sound shifts hard to the deaf side).

get an RCA splitter and put it on the single RCA out. now you have two jacks to plug in to.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 10
get an ordinary input selector and some more signal splitters and hook everything up?

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
get an ordinary input selector and some more signal splitters and hook everything up?

The problem with that is that one of the people in the house (with both ears functioning) is an audio enthusiast, so, when passing the stereo through as stereo, he'd rather it was a device that would meet with audio enthusiast standards as much as reasonably possible.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Actually, my first post in this thread is quite poorly written, too. I'll adjust that as well.

Jude you will have a PM in 2 minutes.

-Alex-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back