WTB: Balanced topology desktop amp with simultaneous line/pre out for HD800
Mar 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AgentXXL

500+ Head-Fier
TL;DR Summary: looking for a balanced topology desktop amp with simultaneous headphone and line/pre output

Scenario: I’m looking for a desktop amp with plenty of power to drive my SDR modded HD800 and if I can ever afford it, a Focal Utopia. I am unfortunately a victim of the LH Labs/Indiegogo scam and have over $6300 US in product that was never delivered, nor do I now expect it ever will be. I was working fulltime when I joined the Indiegogo campaigns and at the time had the disposable income to use. I’m now on disability and have a significantly lower monthly income.

In any case, one of the products I was expecting was a high-powered desktop amp. I currently only have portable amp/DAC units that in my opinion are just not strong enough to drive my HD800 cleanly to the volume levels I desire. Along with my main disability, I’ve developed neurological based tinnitus, i.e. not an anatomical or physiological condition of the ears themselves. I’ve found that listening to background music or soundscapes is almost a constant requirement to keep the tinnitus from annoying me.

While my RSA Intruder and Fiio Q5s TC are pretty decent products and work well with my IEMs, I’m still hoping to find something with some more headroom power-wise. I’m looking for a desktop unit and ideally it will support fully balanced topology throughout. One of my desires is a unit that can drive my headphones/IEMs via a balanced output, and offer SIMULTANEOUS line/pre output. In the past I’ve used stereo/AV receivers with this functionality but it seems near impossible to find these days.

I want the line/pre out at the same time as driving the headphones, primarily to allow connection of a haptic transducer. I’m strongly considering the Woojer haptic vest, but I need a way to drive it at the same time as having balanced output for my headphones. For convenience, I’d be open to a combo amp/DAC that also has at least Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity. That’s one of the reasons I picked up the Fiio Q5s TC, but alas it doesn’t allow simultaneous use of the headphone and line out.

I’m mainly a solid state guy. I’ve heard the HD800 on a few different amps at meets, both solid state and tube. Nothing has ever really impressed me enough to say say ‘YOU NEED TO BUY ME!’. But the most recent was over 3 years ago before my health issues started and put me on disability. I’ve been looking at recent units like the Topping A90 but I’ve been unable to confirm if it offers simultaneous headphone and line/pre out, but it appears it doesn’t based on the selector switch on the front.

My budget is up to $1000 CAD (about $750US). My ultimate device would have the following specs:

- simultaneous balanced headphone and line/pre output
- balanced topology throughout, with the headphone balanced out delivering 1000mW+ into 300 ohms
- companion or built-in balanced DAC for up to 768Khz/32bit, DSD512
- Bluetooth 5.0+ with all codec support

Does such a device exist? I’m mainly after the amp with simultaneous output as described, and can save up to buy the DAC/BT later. Suggestions? Thanks for reading!

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

Maybe Violectric V281 but with the DAC option it costs about 2X what you wanted to spend and doesn't play DSD. No bluetooth or other gimmicks but quite the killer amp.

I run my HD 800 out of a V280 balanced, input is a Brooklyn DAC+ balanced. Very resolving setup, both devices are beautifully built and sound like they cost. V280 has no DAC option and that was good for me since I prefer separates.

If you want a DSD dacamp that won't ever have to be upgraded, Violectric came out with a new 500 series all in one. Big money though.

The other option is something like the RME DAC (1000 USD/1000 Euros) which plays pretty much everything but to get the most out of Sennheisers you'll need an outboard amp. The RME does not activate the rear outputs when the headphones are being powered, so you still need an amp that can do both.

There very well may be affordable options with the boxes checked but they will not be of the same quality as the ones I mentioned.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi,

Maybe Violectric V281 but with the DAC option it costs about 2X what you wanted to spent and doesn't play DSD. No bluetooth or other gimmicks but quite the killer amp.

I run my HD 800 out of a V280 balanced, input is a Brooklyn DAC+ balanced. Very resolving setup, both devices are beautifully built and sound like they cost. V280 has no DAC option and that was good for me since I prefer separates.

If you want a DSD dacamp that won't ever have to be upgraded, Violectric came out with a new 500 series all in one. Big money though.

The other option is something like the RME DAC (1000 USD/1000 Euros) which plays pretty much everything but to get the most out of Sennheisers you'll need an outboard amp. The RME does not activate the rear outputs when the headphones are being powered, so you still need an amp that can do both. I have no idea why you want that, if you feel like explaining I would be interested.

There very well may be affordable options with the boxes checked but they will not be of the same quality as the ones I mentioned.

Since

Yes, I've heard some of the Vio gear at past meets, but definitely not in my current budget. The iFi iDSD Pro looks nice as well, but again too far out of my budget. For now it looks like I might go with something like the Topping DX7 to start as it handles the DAC and BT functions and appears to offer simultaneous XLR and RCA line outputs. I could then continue saving and eventually get a nice amp for the headphones, while still using the line out of the DX7 to drive the haptic vest.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Yes, I've heard some of the Vio gear at past meets, but definitely not in my current budget. The iFi iDSD Pro looks nice as well, but again too far out of my budget. For now it looks like I might go with something like the Topping DX7 to start as it handles the DAC and BT functions and appears to offer simultaneous XLR and RCA line outputs. I could then continue saving and eventually get a nice amp for the headphones, while still using the line out of the DX7 to drive the haptic vest.
I didn't get your location and you said you prefer solid state, but the previous version of the WA2 had line out. Sennheisers are generally really happy out of a good OTL amp. Might be worth keeping an eye out for a used WA2 or asking Woo if they have any refurbs etc.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Mar 11, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Interestingly... https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wts-woo-audio-wa2-with-upgraded-tubes.954932/

I don't know the seller, I am not recommending this. I am also not not recommending this. Worth looking into though.

Thanks, but as you noted I'm happy with solid state. Tube amps do indeed look nice, and sound great when you get to the high end tubes, but that's not my cup of tea. Just over my current budget as well, but that could be do-able. I'll keep researching but keep this in mind.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, but as you noted I'm happy with solid state. Tube amps do indeed look nice, and sound great when you get to the high end tubes, but that's not my cup of tea. Just over my current budget as well, but that could be do-able. I'll keep researching but keep this in mind.
If I can think of anything else I'll try to post again. Good luck with the health and music and let us know what you decided on once you have it humming and smoking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back