Writing Instruments
Dec 4, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #46 of 65
.5 mm Mechanical Pencil does it for me. In terms of pens, I don't like ultra-fine pens, but haven't tried enough types of pens (or remembered their sizes) to know which size is best for me.

My favorite pencil was the PhD mechanical pencil I used to have. Amazing pencil (0.5 mm), wrote like a pen it was so smooth! Smooth operation, comfy grip, twist-up eraser (LOTS of eraser). Loved it, I believe it was of the "metallics" variety on the paper mate page.

One day that dissappeared, and I was, of course, dissappointed and determined to get another. Ran to WalMart and they were out, so I picked up this thing "PhD Multi". REALLY COOL! It's a pencil, pen, and PDA stylus (I do use a PDA, and quite a lot too). The pencil isn't nearly as smooth or as good as my old PhD pencil (not to mention no twist-up eraser), but it works. The pen I find to be pretty smooth, and the PDA stylus has a good shape. I don't really like it as much as my old PhD pencil with this Parker "Joker" pen I got at Staples (which was a good pen), but it works, and it's cool!

What pens do you guys reccommend? I have a relatively large hand, and hard press, which is why I like the PhD line. If I could pick one up at my local Staples, I'd get one of those PhD Ulta box sets with pen and pencil (non-multi). Looks like good stuff.

Dec 4, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #47 of 65
i picked up an Aurora Silver Jubilee Limited Edition Hastil & Thesi set not too long ago on one of those days where i was feeling terrible & wanted to get myself somethin' nice...

the Hastil is a clinical lookin' fountain pen & the Thesi you'd just have to see...it's a ballpoint, but not like you'd normally see...i think you can still find at least one version of it on joon.com...they used to have both the chrome & rubber models...mine is sterling silver (as is the Hastil)...

i use Aurora ink in both...standard black cartridge for the Hastil & i mix it up with the Thesi...usually the wider & blacker the better, though....i hope some day they make a rollerball in the same style...

i don't do a whole lot of writing, but it feels so good pulling one of these babies from your inside pocket...well...you'd hafta be there
rolleyes.gif
...that said the keyboard usually wins out for reasons of efficiency...& pencils i just can't stand...

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #48 of 65
Hey Emelius, I have that set too - it's really nice but I don't like using the silver so much for fear it will get dented. What was the name of that huge pen store that was selling all its stock half price? That's where I got it, and picked up four of the chrome versions too.

Dec 4, 2003 at 7:41 AM Post #49 of 65
1.0mm rolling ball.

anything else is for whimps.

or engineers.

BOLD, baby. Write BIG. Big loops. Flashy.

Broad strokes.

If I wanted to write like a girl I'd get a #10 pencil.

Dec 4, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #50 of 65
Hey all !!

Do you guys know The Shaker? If not, try it. You do not have to click it for more "pencil". Just shake it... Fabulous !! And the little fine point is retractble.

p_shkh1010.jpg

Best

Ari

Dec 4, 2003 at 7:58 AM Post #51 of 65
I love my fountain pens. I have a '43 parker 51 and a Pelikan 800n. Both are very nice pens for different reasons.

I can't stand using anything else now. You just can't go back to anything else after you've used a really really nice pen.

I keep my pens inked with PR Sherwood Green and Omas Roma blue. Beautiful rich colors.

Dec 4, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #52 of 65
And for "ink" writing I've done this lately:

Use Faber Castell E-motion wood pens and Parker Gel refiles !!! They fit completely. You'll like it...

e_motion_wood.gif

P30403.jpg

Best

Ari

Dec 4, 2003 at 12:37 PM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Hey Emelius, I have that set too - it's really nice but I don't like using the silver so much for fear it will get dented. What was the name of that huge pen store that was selling all its stock half price? That's where I got it, and picked up four of the chrome versions too.

ya i think if i see the rubber version again i might get a couple as the design really gets people talkin' (which doesn't happen often with a pen)...joon.com wasn't offerin' it when i bought it so i had to go through zeetan but perhaps you're thinkin' of ashford.com?...they possibly might have carried it before their troubles...ditto on the denting...i have no plans to ever sell them etc & got them with the intent of putting 'em into regular use, but i should have gone with the black one (could have gotten three or so)...oh well...i'm currently in search of a nice rollerball...any suggestions?...

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #54 of 65
Depends on what you're writing/doing. I find Parker rollerballs are nice for everyday use and doesn't leak or turn your fingers black. Very utilitarian. The refills are all the same so just find one that fits your hands well. I keep a Parker Sonnet in my pocket at all times. Doesn't snag, easy to use, and doesn't stab me when I sit down. Dupont and Peliken rollerballs are nice too.

Mechnical pencils for sketching, brainstorming, and general fleshing out ideas. There's just a feeling of permanence about inks that I can't freely sketch or let my mind loose. I like thick artist sketching lead holders. Cheap Faber-Castell 9430 or anything that takes 1.4mm or 3mm leads that have to sharpen with a knife or lead sharpeners.

And lastly, a nice soft medium nibbed fountain pen. The softer the nib the better. I once had to sign 2000 brochures. Did about 500 in rollerball and ended up with stiff wrists. Couldn't do more than 20 at a sitting without the signature ending up like a 5 year old's scribble. Switched to a fountainpen and it felt so much better that I finished off ther remaining 1500 in 2 sittings. I enjoy fountainpens for almost any use, but they're just too much of a hassle to carry around. Too many experiences of ink stained hands and clothes switched me to rollerballs for when I'm out. Sometimes might carry a Pilot Capless but they leak too. At home and in the office, I always use the fountainpen. Current favorites are Peliken 1000, Omas 360, and a Dupont Olympio. In older fountainpens I like Schaffers and Mont Blancs. Like the Montegrappas bodies but the modern nibs are so stiff.

The only pen that's never leaked on me (yet) is a Visconti Voyager. That and their traveling ink pot goes on plane trips.

Yes, I have a fountain pen addiction. So do you have hoarded Parker Penman black that you'll sell me?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
Hey all !!
p_shkh1010.jpg

Ari

Wow, I didn't know anyone else knew about the Shaker! That was my favorite pencil when I was in middle school in Singapore... I had 2 of them. Probably still have one somewhere... The only problem is that if you shake too hard, sometimes you can break the lead in the barrel.. But the shaking part was fun.
biggrin.gif

Edit: these days I moved up to fountain pens.. Oh the joy of glorious ink..

Dec 5, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #57 of 65
mikeliao, didn't know we had anyone who had to sign autographs on the board
biggrin.gif
I like the Pelikan M1000, no pen is smoother. Do you find the nibs are over-rated in their broadness? I prefer the 'F' nib, but find it more like a 'M' from most other makers.

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #58 of 65
Oh yes, Chinchy !! They are some hugm?... For The Shaker I use Pentel Hi Polymer Super leads. They resist to the shaker moviments...
And this week I discovered 4B leads !!!

About fountain pens, well I'm from 1952 "class" (very old, I mean)... and I've use then for life. Today I have used some nice pens like Pelikan Toledo and the venerable Pelikan Blue Ocean # 4970 of 5000. But I never forget my Shakers...

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
1.0mm rolling ball.

anything else is for whimps.

or engineers.

BOLD, baby. Write BIG. Big loops. Flashy.

Broad strokes.

If I wanted to write like a girl I'd get a #10 pencil.

What kind of pens do you use Wally? I liked the color of the ink on that envelope you sent me.

I used to modify mont blanc rollarball refills to put in my namiki, but they dry up too fast.
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 3:38 PM Post #60 of 65
Yes aeberbach. Pelikin nibs do run a bit wide. I use a F on the M1000 too. But then the size of their nibs, especially the 1000 and 800 series are pretty big. So I guess its relative to other brands. Personally I like big nibs...so pretty. Prettiest are the fully detailed extra large Viscontis and the limited edition Mont Blancs.

I lust after a Michel Perchin Monogram in blue. At $2400 in 2002 its way out of my reach. Tried one at Fountain Pen Hospital while visiting New York. Not a daily user. Too damn heavy and stiff stiff stiff nib. But so pretty.

www.fountainpenhospital.com has pen **** for those interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back