Writing Instruments
Dec 3, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #31 of 65
Why, yes I do.
biggrin.gif
I never could get used to them on the comfort level though.

Dec 3, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Why, yes I do.
biggrin.gif

Arghl - there goes another potential vintage deal...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Personally, I'm still very fond of the Tombow Zoom 707, btw - pic here: http://63.86.177.145/catalog/tombow_...ck_1553009.htm

Dec 3, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #33 of 65
I use 0.5mm mechanical pencils. But not just ANY mechanical pencils. Sanford Pro-Touch with the metal grip is the best, most comfortable pencil or pen I've ever used. The grip is like a nail file and the staggered tip looks painful but is so nice to the tip of my middle finger
biggrin.gif

63019.jpg

Dec 3, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #34 of 65
What is a pen? Why don't you use a computer like normal people?
smily_headphones1.gif

You can correct mistakes faster.
Type WAY faster then you can write (atleast for me)
Actually understand what you've typed instead of trying to read your own scribble (this is a big problem for me)
You don't need to have any understanding on how to spell.
You can surf the web[size=xx-small](pr0n)[/size] while typing.

These are all very good things
smily_headphones1.gif

I know..I know..."its not the same".

Dec 3, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #35 of 65
I used to really like .5 mechanical pencils, and I used a .5 rotring 600 for a while. I also liked fine tipped pens at that time. But, then I found fountain pens, and I haven't looked back. I can't stand ballpoints, or rollarballs anymore. They're so...unsatisfying. Ever since I started writing with fountain pens, I noticed my handwriting went from chicken scratch to bigger, rounder, and almost pretty at times!
eek.gif
Soon thereafter, I bumped up to a .7 rotring 600 for the times I need to use a pencil. My math profs always recognize me as the guy that writes his homework assignments in waterman blue black ink!
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by djgustashaw
I use 0.5mm mechanical pencils. But not just ANY mechanical pencils. Sanford Pro-Touch with the metal grip is the best, most comfortable pencil or pen I've ever used. The grip is like a nail file and the staggered tip looks painful but is so nice to the tip of my middle finger
biggrin.gif

63019.jpg

DUDE!!...that's a hardcore Technician II, where do you buy those??

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #38 of 65
D-EJ915:

You can get them online at www.utrecht.com. Utrecht is an art supply store, but they sell drafting pencils like that under the "Graphic Arts Materials" section. And if you think that thing's pimpin', check this one out:
38187.jpg

I want to get one because it looks so cool, but it's not as practical since it doesn't have an exposed eraser. And I'm doin a helluva lot of erasing in AP Calc
wink.gif

One caveat, though: I have to get a new ProTouch because the narrow tip can get bent very easily. You can bend it roughly back but it still splits leads. Nonetheless it's lasted for two full years which is WAY better than any other pencil or pen I've ever used.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #39 of 65
I've been using a Black 0.7mm BIC pencil (made in france) because my pencil tip broke one day (papermate natural...yucko eraser). I just saw it on the table...and...it's mine now
biggrin.gif

I've had:
3 PhDs ($6 ea)
3 Digits ($4 ea)
5 Logo 4s ($6 ea)
2 Technician IIs ($5 ea)
1 expensive-clickster thingie....forgot it's name-Sanford Item#62000 ($4 ea)

Probably more, but those are the main expensive ones...lets see...thats

[size=medium]$74 BUCKS!![/size]
Good Lord, no wonder my parents get pissed whenever I get a new pencil!!

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #40 of 65
A pen with the smallest writing tip possible. I use a .2mm Pigma pen for some writing like taking notes in my books and grading homework sometimes. I like a really fine point since I like to put as much as possible into as small a space as possible. I can write well with a larger pen like a 1mm or 2mm tip, but I prefer the smaller point for most of my work.

Dec 3, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #41 of 65
the only problem with the super fine ones is that you cannot loan them to anyone -- I let my girlfriend try to write something with my .20 mm rotring, and she nearly snapped the tip right off -- it is basically a .2 mm hole where ink comes out, so you have to be light with it -- you are essentially scratching it across the paper, not rolling it, so you have to be careful. It is just so much nicer to have such a fine line. I can write at about font size 6 or 8.
word.

Dec 3, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #42 of 65
I just buy boxes of Pilot Precise V7 or V5s because I tend to loose pens quite a bit. These are pretty comfortable for disposables. However, I REALLY need to find a good, comfortable mechanical pencil. I am an ME major so I need to make the conversion to pencil from pen.
biggrin.gif
I hate crossing stuff out all the time in pen, but I was just never able to find a mechanical pencil that I liked.

Dec 3, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
As for the slick grip problem, the pen's not dying or anything, it's just a bit annoying to have your fingers feel slick after using a Sensa if you're the type that likes to keep your hands squeeky clean. i.e. if you don't like getting oil on electronics. Whatever the film is, a bit of water gets rid of it...temporarily.

Unfortunately I'm freakish about getting my hands dirty. Sounds like it may be hand sweat? Anyways, thank you for the info about stylist and cloud 9. I'm going to get a stylist to give it a try.

Dec 3, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #44 of 65
Are there any readers in Tokyo right now? Take yourselves off to Kinokuniya Stationers in Shinjuku, to the office supply part above the art supplies. This is the only place in the world I know that has the PILOT H-2105 mechanical pencil. It is the best I have ever used and I've used plenty. The tip retracts into the body completely so you can put it in a pocket, the body is a combination of brass and hard plastic and it has a fantastic weight and grip.

There's a picture on this page:
http://www.ing-plus.si/zastopstvo/2.pdf

Zoom in on the lower part of the centre column. This is the only mention of it I can find on the net anywhere.

If anyone does go find this pencil and they'd be prepared to buy me two more, let me know in a PM. 2000 yen each, $20 more or less depending on the exchange rate.

Dec 4, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #45 of 65
Are there any pen forums? I am looking for a good pen (and matching mechanical pencil, if possible). It should be click mechanism, under .7mm, and nice and big on the grip part. Price is not too important, but under 50.00 would be nice. Also, it has to be able to write very fast without skipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back