Writing a movie script, any advice how to pitch my idea for a movie.
May 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #16 of 33
KBI,

Before you concentrate your efforts on selling an idea, complete the project first. Multitasking is great but sometimes trying to be a "Jack of all trades" really does leave you a "Master of none". You'll have plenty of time to figure everything out when you have a true script completed. You'll also, by then, be more motivated to see it through once you've invested your heart and soul into it.

Good luck.

May 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 33

Quote:
KBI,

Before you concentrate your efforts on selling an idea, complete the project first. Multitasking is great but sometimes trying to be a "Jack of all trades" really does leave you a "Master of none". You'll have plenty of time to figure everything out when you have a true script completed. You'll also, by then, be more motivated to see it through once you've invested your heart and soul into it.

Good luck.

Good advice. You can't register an idea with the writer's guild for safety, a script will be your only protection from the idea being swiped (though even that's sketchy). You can register a treatment, I believe. It's been so long. Okay, how to get the story out there. Well, you need a connection in Hollywood. Any friends in the business? You can't just "get an agent" unless you already have a track record as having written a book or other extensive writing credits. Getting an agent based on one script is HIGHLY unlikely. I would say near impossible. I worked in Hollywood for about six years and went to USC's screenwriting program. It's all about connections (which is why you spend 30 grand for the sheepskin). If you want to do this, you need to do it full force. That is, get a job in hollywood. Best, easiest way is to find an intern program at a production company, Probably reading scripts. Work there a few months, THEN gingerly ask the producer if he'll look at your treatment. You can fax, knock on door, make phone calls but there is a strict rule in Hllywood. NO UNSOLICITED MANUSCRIPTS. That means, DON'T CALL US, we'll call you. Your fax or script immediately goes in the trash if it isn't solicited. And the hardest part. EVERYONE in hollywood has a script, so if you have a friend working there mostly likely he has a script. And he's worked in the business for two years just hoping to get his read. No matter how good of a friend he is, its highly unlikely he's gonna give up his one shot to put yours in that position. Stumbling block two: Most new people in Hollywood are screenwriters who take jobs as script readers (the one job nobody wants, since they're like fleas out there) and, because they've got there own scripts and naturally think everybody's writing BUT THEIR OWN stinks, there's a 90 percent chance if you do get your script read - script readers are GOING TO PAN IT. BUT, all that said, the only chance you have to get your script read is this: Find a SMALL production company. Forget studios, they have more material than they know what to do with, TAKE THE RISK to pitch the story to a hungry producer (with no credits) who might like your idea. That's your only chance to get your idea heard, unless you're working there, but you may NEVER get the ear of even a hack, nobody producer unless you can produce some creds that you're in the business as an intern or PA. Now producers are essentially nobodies. Anyone can call themself a producer. So you have to learn who THEIR CONNECTIONS are, which may or may not be pure bull ("I have a friend at FOX") but they are the middlemen who can get the script to a production company. Forget getting it to a literary agency. Impossible. A nobody trying to get a script read (without an introduction from someone BIG in the business will never have his work read. So what am I saying. Aim SMALL. Look around for ads of production companies taking scripts. Never pay to have your script read, a ripofff. There are some nothing companies that will read scripts or treatments in the hopes of stumbling on a great idea, but again, it's a little risky for a writer. A classic hollywood tale: You walk into a producers office with a story idea. You pitch the idea. The producers says, "I love that idea, its great! The sad thing is, I just had the same idea in the shower this morning!" And that's perfectly defendable in court. Yes, your idea can be stolen quite easily, so finish that script before you make a move. Peace.

Here's your clue: "It's going to be campy, & in the vein of Darkman/Ichi the killer/Kill Bill/machete"

Find out what production companies make these kinds of film. DONT bother with a major production company, find a SMALL one that likes this kind of stuff.

May 6, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #18 of 33
Well...I've got more experience with the music industry than film, but I did take plenty of classes on this kind of stuff in college and I've got a few powerful connections in the film industry.

I think it's pretty similar to getting a band signed - you really just have to know somebody and have a little luck. In the music industry sending unsolicited material simply gets it returned - you don't shotgun demos to labels without knowing somebody who works there and specifically addressing the demo, along with a personalized note, to that person. I can only imagine the same is true of scripts to major studios - anything unsolicited will either get returned or thrown in the trash. Part of this is for legal reasons - studios have been sued far too many times for making a movie similar to something a screenwriter sent them that they rejected, so it's easier to just never read the scripts that come in and avoid potential lawsuits.

An agent would really help, and it's best to have him or her pitch your script to the studios. There are a few really big agencies and they already have pre-established relationships with studios, so if your agent has read it and is willing to make the call, it's probably decent stuff - as for actually getting an agent to represent you...again that's luck and networking.

I think the best advice anyone can give you is
1) finish the project
2) print lots of business cards, they are cheap as hell at kinkos or something. Come up with a nice logo, and make yourself look legit (even if you arent). Make sure it says "screenwriter" on the cards and has ALL your contact info.
3) go to bars and clubs were industry people hand out. Meet people, be charming, and if you can afford it, buy people drinks.
4) hand out those business cards to basically everyone you meet (preferably after you buy them drinks and they are nice and hammered). Even if they aren't in the industry, they might be related to or friends with somebody who is, and that card could find its way somewhere important. This also might get you a meeting with a real agent.

Just be proactive. This ends my rant.

May 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #19 of 33
Thank you.. I'm looking for small, mainly indie.. They are more liklely to take risk.. & the film I have in mind, I doubt the major studio's would want from someone not established.. I am thinking small.. I just want my foot in the door at any level.. I just wish I could find a sketch artist to draw what I have planned.. I'm sure stealing ideas is big in Hollywood, & would kill me if mine was stolen & went on to be very successful. I will take all your thoughts to heart.. I'm fleshing out the charaters right now, & brainstorming, I pretty set on how the beggining will start.. & I started scripting for the first scene.. I will go over it to see if it seems right with me.. On a side note.. How do scripts like the awful Catwomen ever get approved??

May 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
On a side note.. How do scripts like the awful Catwomen ever get approved??

Think of Hollywood like a bunch of kids making lemonade, under mom's watchful eye, x 1000.  Or whatever.  Thousands of lemonade stands.  The essential choice one has when selling lemonade is: water, sugar, lemon, ice, or water, Country Time, ice.  If a lemonade stand tries to sell people Country Time, many people will know the difference.  Many people will not.  Some will even prefer Country Time.  Since lemonade sellers are also human, with preferences, they themselves may believe Country Time to be superior. 

Some moms may act as a quality check, demanding real lemonade from their entrepreneurial children, because selling fake lemonade out of your driveway is a freaking embarrassment.  Some moms may recognize the hassle of a bunch of brats wrecking the kitchen for a nine dollar gross, and put the kibosh on anything elaborate.

Now, the materials cost for producing real lemonade is probably less than Country Time, but the cost in time is much greater.  There are also more variations--real lemonade sometimes turns out too sweet, too bitter, too watery.  So, again, the question remains: do the harder, better thing, or the easier, crappier thing?  When plenty of people can't tell good from crap, and plenty more actually prefer crap, for many lemonade stands the choice is easy:  $DING$ $DING$ $DING$ $DING$ $DING$.

May 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
I have been pondering about writing a movie script for my film for a while now. I have the premise to the story. It's going to be campy, & in the vein of Darkman/Ichi the killer/Kill Bill/machete. The plot is simple & not very original in general, but there are things in my film that I never seen before & very unique. Something that I have personal experience with including my disability has given me ideas that most couldn't relate to. Then I got creative, & let my dark side come out. I would like to know who I should contact, or any idea to get my idea out to production companies & studio's.. I would like to get my foot in the door & see who bites on my idea. My film will be bloody & gory, with as little CGI as possible.. Looking for a lead will be unique since many don't have what it takes 'literally.'

First, don't try to go to Hollywood (figuratively or literally) with an "idea."  You don't really own an idea, just its expression.  There are writers who do pitch meetings on a regular basis.  They're basically "pitching" a movie idea, looking for someone to pay them to write it up.  That approach is very sketchy.  When you show up, without an actual story (just an outline of where you'd go with it), you don't have anything tangible.  It robs you of value, gives the other party the feeling that his or her input has more value than it may be ultimately worth, and opens the door to outright theft.  If you don't have an actual script, just an idea, you are on the shakiest ground for protecting whatever genius has seized you.  Yes, there are people in Hollywood who can call someone up and, as Dan Aykroyd did, hum the first bars to Dragnet, but to have that much clout, you have to have connections and a track record.  As often as not, if they like your idea, they also have friends who are writers, people to whom they either owe a favor or trust more than they do you.  Until you've written a script they can read as a work complete, nobody has any reason to trust your instincts.  The trick is to write a script that reads like a movie and which sells itself.

So, start by learning how to write.  There's both nature and nurture in the writing process.  You can't "teach" someone to write but nobody becomes a writer in isolation.  Writing is storytelling.  Like any work of art, there are expectations with regards to format, conventions, et cetera that you need to be aware of if you want your script to at least look like a script.  That's the first hurdle since lots of people get the same dream of hitting Hollywood with their ideas and scripts but without putting in the basic investment of learning the medium.  Fortunately, you are no more than 50 miles from a bunch of screenwriting primers, sitting idle on a shelf at Borders, Barnes and Noble, Books a Million or even your public library.  Devour them all.  

The great irony of screenwriting primers is that most of the people who write them are screenwriting failures.  Hollywood is full of sharks, including pretenders.  Of course, some people are better teachers than writers.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Either way, you're fine.  What goes into the kind of screenwriting primer you see on a bookstore shelf is nuts-and-bolts advice, stuff that's easier to tell than show.  The script gurus don't always agree among themselves about the so-called "rules" of Hollywood, but knowing what the issues are, as well as the different answers that have been proposed, makes you more sophisticated.

Right now, you need to develop your own critical judgment of what will work.  You may think you know about movies because you've seen a few.  Most of us have been inundated with film - much more so than any previous generation - but there's a difference between passive enjoyment of the craft and knowing how to contribute to it.  It's the difference between eating at a fine restaurant and working in the kitchen.  You're not a chef until you have to turn inventory into mouth watering.

Writers are among the most naked of artists.  Most professionals have specialized toys.  Directors have their cameras.  Musicians have their interests.  Writers have word processors.  Anybody can download a copy of Final Draft, the most popular software used for writing scripts.  The only distinction between a writer and a non-writer is work product.  As the adage runs, "Writers write."  Lots of people have better contacts, better schooling and more personal charm - but they don't write.  Lots of people who might have become great writers won't - precisely because they never did.  

A writer makes more decisions than a brain surgeon.  Every aspect of the story has to be considered, from beginning to end, and all the way down to the smallest beat of action and the shortest line.  It may be a labor of love but it's also a daunting task, which most people wimp away from at the drop of a hat.

Inhale book after book about screenwriting.  As I mentioned before, a lot of the people who write these books have anemic credits of their own, if any.  Syd Field wrote Screenplay, the most successful screenwriting primer in history.  Look up his credits at IMDB.  Do the same for script nazi, Robert McKee.  David Trottier has a book called The Screenwriter's Bible, which is used all over the world as a primer on the craft, even if its observations are pretty basic and Trottier's credits unimpressive.  Everybody has something to say.  Don't be too proud or too lazy to learn what they know, or what they think they know.  When I started writing, I created my own little shrine full of these books, not because they were going to teach me Hollywood's secrets but because I didn't have any better access.  I knew I'd feel like a nobody and an ignoramus, so I read as many books and articles as I could.  Within time, I'd find myself informed enough to lose that beginner's fear.

Learn the structure of film.  Learn how to discuss acts, plot points, inciting incidents, turning points, beats of action, the different kinds of dialog, where to put your margins, what to call your characters, how much setting to give you reader, when and where to use voiceover, whether or not to direct your actors and how to get away with directing the director without getting caught.  You don't have to reinvent the wheel.  Learn everything you can and then use it as you develop your idea into a script.  Write that script.  Register that script (The information is in the books you'll find; it's also on the WGA's website).  Copyright your work (not hard but basic).  Have something you've created, refined and finalized, something you've shown to trusted friends and advisors, something ready for submission.

Then learn how to pitch your work.  Unless you're good friends with Steven Spielberg, you'll need to send a query to somebody.  Query letters are short and to the point.  Agents and producers read stacks of them on a daily basis.  You're purpose is to get them to read your script.  Ultimately, it's to get representation or a sale, but you first have to get somebody to read the thing.  Hollywood readers are at the bottom of the pecking order.  They get paid either by the script or for maintaining a certain quota.  They're job is to say "No" to basically everything but it's also to find that needle in the haystack.  They're going to submit a report to their boss, justifying the decision to take the next step or "pass."  They need something.  Your script could be that one, but it's got to get their attention.  The reader has to like your script.  But before he or she will even see it, the boss has to decide to task that reader with reading it.  

This is where query letters make all the difference.

When you hit your bookstores and library, you'll find whole books (albeit short ones) on how to write a decent query letter.  Here, time is money.  You have to be both banker and pirate.  You have to make sure your pitch doesn't get pitched (in the trash) because the guy who wrote it looks like a nut.  You need to write a short pitch on a business-style letter, identifying who you are (so they can contact you) and whom you're contacting (so it gets to the right person).  Without wasting any time, you have to launch into a short introduction to your script.

There's a pattern for doing this, one you'll want to pick up.  What you actually say will depend on that pirate part of you, the brave buccaneer who set out for adventure.  Here, you're not going to be a banker.  You're going to be a storyteller.  But you're going to be damned quick about it.  You have to identify, as quickly as you can, the heart of your story.  As briefly as you can, you have to share that wonderful "idea" that will sell your story in a sentence or two.  There's an art to this.  Lots of stories can be introduced different ways.  You have to find the one that gets their attention.

I haven't done this in a while, so forgive me if I'm as rusty as a nail.  I was going to write more, but got bogged down in my day life.  Along the way, I wrote some queries that got requests.  Unfortunately, some of these queries were stories I'd only dreamed up, and the pressure to write them quickly - while surviving life - often put me behind the eight ball.  Moral: Write it first.

How would you sell Avatar, the most commercially successful movie in history?  In some respects, James Cameron didn't have to, since he was both writer and director, and he had a track record - such as being the writer/director of the previous number-one movie in history: Titanic.  Yet, even he had to sell the concept to somebody else.  In fact, all of Hollywood is a chain of people selling their dream to somebody with the power to say "yes" or "no."  Writers sell to producers, who have to bring in the money while attaching directors and bankable stars.  Any movie, even a piece of crap, is a successful reaching of that critical mass, where all the elements were assembled together to at least get the thing off the ground.

And you're the one who gets it all started.  You're the equivalent of a Wall Street lawyer writing a prospectus, attracting investors into something that will attract millions of dollars of seed money into a project that may yield tens or hundreds of millions of dollars in gross receipts.

So, how would you get a reader to read Avatar?  You can't tell 'em you wrote Titanic.  You can't talk about the 3D effects you're ready to shoot.  You're just the writer.  You have to convince somebody to task some nobody to read your script in the off chance that it might actually be something.  So, would do you say?

One approach is to focus on the main character.  Jake Sully is the disabled ex-marine, recruited by a mining corporation, to take his brother's place on a science team that wants to study the Navi' people of Pandora, a hostile world full of precious resources, by linking their minds to the nine-foot-tall genetically-combined "avatars" of the Nav'i.  Through a series of misadventures, Jack is taken in by the Nav'i and learns their ways, only to discover that his efforts to broker peace between the Nav'i and "the sky people" are for naught: the corporation is simply going to take the resources, whether the Nav'i like it or not - even if it destroys their entire civilization.  Jake has to decide which side he's on.

As you can imagine, boiling this down to a single idea is ridiculously difficult, if not impossible.  Avatar wasn't sold on the strength of its core concept.  It was sold as a 3D thrill ride from James Cameron, the guy who gave us Terminator and Titanic.

Here are some easier sells:

A quiet beachside community is terrorized by a Great White Shark (Jaws).

A roman general is forced to fight for his life as a gladiator (Gladiator).

A night watchman discovers something unsettling about the museum of natural history: At night, the museum comes to life.  (Night at the Museum)

Kidnappers grab an American high-school student in Paris only to discover her father is a covert assassin.  (Taken)

May 10, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 33
If you are really serious about pitching for a Movie, you will need representation.  In fact many studios won't even read your script without it.

You'll need a good lawyer too.  Agencies will come and go, a dependable lawyer is golden.  (yes, I know that sounds ironic).

But if you don't really know anyone in the biz, you can just go for it, and hope to get lucky.  But always keep this  fact in mind.  The very first "hit" you have will be a giveaway.  You will have zero ownership over it.  Be prepared to lose all rights to it.  But if you really do get that lucky, you will be establishing your name, and a good relationship with a studio for future projects.

Otherwise you can self publish.  But you'll have to pretty much do everything yourself.  Make a short video and post it online.  Get a fan base going.  Posting it up online is a way to prove ownership (along with registering a copyright, don't forget to do that one first!).  Then a studio may notice you, and possibly option your movie script.

Good Luck.

-Ed

May 12, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
Inhale book after book about screenwriting.   

See, I disagree with this. I don't think this is necessary at all. One decent book should do. For one thing, they all teach the same thing: Three act structure, character arc, page 20 complication, blah, blah, blah. Quite frankly, anytime you see a GREAT movie it's because the writer abandoned all this by-the-book malarkey they teach. I agree you need to know a little about structure, but all these failed screenwriters repeat the same screenwriting cliches in their books. If you fall slave to their advice, you just wind up with by-the-numbers crap. The famous Hollywood call for a solid character arc is a classic example. Oh, watch how the tough marine learns to appreciate the beauty of nature and folk wisdom and becomes a better "human being" for it. For every character arc in some horribly cliched movie like "Avatar", there are a thousand great films where the main protagonist doesnt change a lick. Would you want to see Travis Bickle or Henry Hill lay down their guns, see their error of their ways and preach love at the end of the movie?
 No, enjoy your character for who he is. Not every story has to be a damn Aesop's fable with a lesson learned. What did I just see. Oh, yeah. Ironman II. Okay, here's a hollywood blockbuster. Does Tony Stark go from a womanizing, weapons peddling, partying rich brat to a clean cut superhero who abhors all violence in his transition to Ironman - ala a character arc? No freaking way, he's the same cocky, horny, spoiled party boy all the way through and we love him for it. Any, just don't put alot of words on your pages. Everyone in Hollywood is too lazy to read too many. That's real advice. But grab a book, you should be able to learn all the basics in an hour of browsing a screenwriting book. What will make your screenplay a success: A good story with a unique idea, characters and a well-thought out exploration of that idea. 

May 12, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #25 of 33
The character I have in mind just gets worse & worse.. Selfish, & a bit narcissistic.. What happens to him brings it out in a way he cannot control & gets amplified. He gets deeper into himself until he digs his own grave that he cannot come out of without hurting many people, both physically & emotionally, including himself.

Quote:
See, I disagree with this. I don't think this is necessary at all. One decent book should do. For one thing, they all teach the same thing: Three act structure, character arc, page 20 complication, blah, blah, blah. Quite frankly, anytime you see a GREAT movie it's because the writer abandoned all this by-the-book malarkey they teach. I agree you need to know a little about structure, but all these failed screenwriters repeat the same screenwriting cliches in their books. If you fall slave to their advice, you just wind up with by-the-numbers crap. The famous Hollywood call for a solid character arc is a classic example. Oh, watch how the tough marine learns to appreciate the beauty of nature and folk wisdom and becomes a better "human being" for it. For every character arc in some horribly cliched movie like "Avatar", there are a thousand great films where the main protagonist doesnt change a lick. Would you want to see Travis Bickle or Henry Hill lay down their guns, see their error of their ways and preach love at the end of the movie?
 No, enjoy your character for who he is. Not every story has to be a damn Aesop's fable with a lesson learned. What did I just see. Oh, yeah. Ironman II. Okay, here's a hollywood blockbuster. Does Tony Stark go from a womanizing, weapons peddling, partying rich brat to a clean cut superhero who abhors all violence in his transition to Ironman - ala a character arc? No freaking way, he's the same cocky, horny, spoiled party boy all the way through and we love him for it. Any, just don't put alot of words on your pages. Everyone in Hollywood is too lazy to read too many. That's real advice. But grab a book, you should be able to learn all the basics in an hour of browsing a screenwriting book. What will make your screenplay a success: A good story with a unique idea, characters and a well-thought out exploration of that idea. 

May 12, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #26 of 33

Quote:

1. I didn't say it was necessary to read up on the literature, just that it's a good idea.  Any time you enter a field, intent on making a contribution to it, it's important to do your homework.  Part of the process of self-education is to become acquainted with the different schools of thought.  Doing so helps you get "up to speed" more efficiently and to keep from having to reinvent the wheel.

2. You say "one decent book should do."  I've read a lot of decent books, none of which I'd consider the end-all/be-all of the craft.  The one that first sucked me in was Syd Field's "The Screenwriter's Problem Solver," which I liked because it approached screenwriting from a problem-solver's perspective.  This was actually against-type for Field, who had written "Screenplay," 19 years before.  "Screenplay" was the primer that gave birth to a whole generation of screenwriting manuals.  It was quite Aristotelian in its approach.  

I'm glad I didn't start the process with "Screenplay" or with Field's follow-up book, "The Screenwriter's Workbook," neither of which impressed me very much.  Instead, I bounced from "Problem Solver" to Lew Hunter's "Screenwriting 434," which is a very different kind of read.  Hunter, and fellow UCLA professor, Richard Walter, had a very different take on the craft from folks like Robert McKee (the former TV writer and seminar lecturer who wrote "Story").  If McKee took a professorial approach, these actual professors took a more populist quick-and-dirty approach.  Hunter speaks of "sex and violence" as shorthands for the carrot-and-stick approach to getting audiences to pay attention.  Their approach reminded me of William Froug's tiny little primer, "Screenwriting Tricks of the Trade."  Unlike most of the people writing primers, Froug has a long list of credits as an actual writer.

I've read David Trottier's albatross, "The Screenwriter's Bible," which is a regurgitation of practically every primer out there - albeit without much in the way of fresh insights.  I've read Kipp Press's Complete Idiot book, which is equally rote.  Walter's book, "Screenwriting: The Art, Craft and Business of Film and Television," may be a classic, but the one I really liked was, "The Whole Picture: Strategies for Screenwriting Success in the New Hollywood."  What impressed me was not Walter's lackluster advice on how to get an agent but his holistic view of the writing process as an expression of self.  I also enjoyed Alex Epstein's, "Crafty Screenwriting," as an exceptionally intelligent take on the whole business.  

Michael Hauge's "Writing Screenplays That Sell" is a good example of how mining multiple sources for insights can often produce a fresh insight worth noting.  Much of Hauge's book is regurgitation of other books, but I found much value in his discussion of the role of related characters as devices used to sharpen and define the main character and/or villain/antagonist.  Luke Skywalker, for example, is better defined by contrasting him with his related characters, such as Obiwan Kenobi (older, knowledgeable in the force), Han Solo (an older brother type, but skeptical and more roguish) and Princess Leia (more confident and actively engaged in the resistance).  I also got a kick out of Lajos Egri's "The Art of Dramatic Writing," which was written for stage plays but whose discussion of character and story development blow the doors off most of the paint-by-numbers screenwriting primers.  For all the pseudo-intellectual references to Aristotle's "Poetics," I didn't find the great philosopher's observations all that useful.  Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces" was helpful in terms of thinking about the masks worn by characters.

All of these books - and others I've lost track of - had something to say.  The same goes for all those books and articles written by actual writers, including William Goldman, Terry Rossio, Kevin Smith, Joe Eszterhas (whose "The Devil's Guide to Hollywood: The Screenwriter as God" is one of my favorite reads) and writer/director David Mamet (whose "On Directing" contains pearls of wisdom that very much apply to the writing process).  There is no single "decent book."  The idea that you can write your own symphonies - on the fly - or become a cheft without ever reading a cookbook is inherently naive.  Much of what you'll sift through is junk but I've rarely come across a book on the craft that didn't pick up a fresh take or insight making it worth the read.

3. You say they all teach the same thing.  If you really believe that, you need to read more of these books - or do so with greater care.  They don't all say the same thing.  To be sure, a certain amount of what they say is regurgitation but each book has something to say, often something fresh.  Field teaches a basic three-act structure.  McKee picks it apart and says the number of acts depends on the genre.  David Truby came up with 22 mini-acts.  Some think you should never use a voice-over.  Some argue for it in certain circumstances.  The terminology isn't even consistent, with one man's "plot point" becoming another's "turning point."  They don't all agree about the definition of an "inciting incident."  Field argues for a "mid-point."  There are all kinds of family feuds over how best to tackle different aspects of the craft.  To say they all teach the same thing is to glom onto the superficial and miss the more subtle and meaningful points of dispute.  It's like saying all headphones sound the same.

4. I'm trying not to make this a personal thing - either in attacking you or in thumping my own chest - but when you say that whenever we see a great movie, it's because the author abandoned all these rules, it annoys me to no end.  Forgive the slight but a dumber statement could not have been made.  To be sure, great movies are not made by slavishly following rules the way a person runs through a checklist.  On the other hand, great movies are not made by abandoning the rules.  Great movies are made by following the rules.  In "Story," Robert McKee fumbles with a distinction between "rules" and "principles," badly botching the argument.  He says a "rule" says "do this, don't do that," while a principle says "This is what has worked down through time."  In actuality, the difference between a "rule" and a "principal" is that a rule is a pattern ("as a rule, such and such go together") while a principle is the fundamental truth behind the rules.  It's the relationship or functionality that gives rise to "rules" as prescriptive mandates ("do this, don't do that").  If you understand the principles behind any given set of "rules," you also know why their exceptions are consistent, not with the rules themselves, but with the principles behind them.  This is like the Apostle Paul's discussion of "the spirit of the law."

Great movies aren't great because they "abandon the rules."  They're great because the writer understood the principles so well as if to seem magically able to defy them.  The only thing ever defied is a rote, paint-by-numbers approach, the veritable grocery list.  It's like watching a skateboarder half-piping an empty pool.  There are moments when he seems to do things that defy gravity.  How can he arch back like that, in ways that would put the rest of us off-balance?  The truth is that he's not defying gravity so much as conforming to other principles involving momentum and balance.  If, for example, your skateboard has just run up the side of a vertical wall, you may need to lean in such a way that your forward momentum keeps your wheels firmly attached to that wall, then bend inward (or flip around) to make sure that you and the board fall together, with the center of your weight remaining over the board.

There's a reason for everything that works.  It's not a dumb idea to look into it.  So-called "screenwriting rules" are basic laundry lists, often parroted by people who don't understand the principles behind them.  If someone successfully "abandons" the rules, it's only because he or she is abandoning a slavish approach to the rules rather than adhering to the principles that dictate them and their exceptions.  For example, there's a reason why "Raising Arizona" begins with a ten-minute montage/series of shots, voiced-over by the hero.  Would you normally want to begin a movie with ten minutes of narration?  No, but the Coen Brothers wrote this as a parody of a certain type of film.  There are stories where good people resolve to do wicked things, in a plot that can't help but unravel beneath their feet.  They're modern retellings of Greek tragedies where people are brought down by the folly of their ways.  The Coens revisit this, but make fun of it, presenting their heroes as trailer-trash rednecks, imitating the crooked dealings of their social "betters" during the Reagan 80s.  It's as if some great Greek tragedy had been summoned - but in Arizona.  The ten-minute narration not only introduces us to the main character but drags us through most of the storyline in hyperspeed.  We need to know it's a comedy.  We need to get the joke.  We need to be brought up to speed - which is what is done in the film's first ten minutes.

It's unusual - perhaps an "abandonment" of parroted rules - but it follows principles which can be studied and examined.  It's not an artistic crap shoot.

5. You cite "Iron Man 2" as an example of how "character arcs" are unnecessary.  While I agree with you that slavish paint-by-numbers writing produces boring, predictable, clunky storytelling - I disagree with the suggestion that the rules don't matter or that "Iron Man 2" is an example of a character who doesn't change.  To be sure, the story doesn't force Tony Stark to go from night to day but to say he doesn't change is to miss the character arc that was.  At the beginning of the film, Stark is a total loner.  He doesn't want to share Iron Man.  He's so totally into his own narcissism that he fails to see danger coming.  He doesn't see how much his own wellbeing is in the hands of others who care about him.  He's still blindsided by a view of his father as a man who had no time for him.  Even his relationship with his assistant is cold.  He only promotes her so he can relieve himself of responsibility.  As the story progresses, Stark is forced to confront the limits of this worldview.  He is reminded of his need for friends and allies, some of whom save him and some of whom he must save.  He comes to understand his true importance to his father.  He is also contrasted with villains who are either imprisoned by their resentments or useless rogues because they're only out for themselves.  By the story's end, he is poised to become part of SHIELD, a team of superheroes, none of whom are alone or aloof.

Iron Man 2 presents quite a character arc, just not the kind of Disneyfied, overblown, story arc of a badly plotted paint-by-numbers film.  You threw down the gauntlet of Travis Bickle, but did you really think that one through?  At the beginning of Taxi Driver, Travis is a good man troubled by what he sees.  To him, the city is a human sewer, full of decadence and decay.  He tries not to let it get to him.  He's just going to do his job.  But the more time he spends driving through the city, the more he sees - and the more he sees, the harder it is to just sit by and watch civilization sink around him.  Bickle pushes against the grain.  He tries to find a human connection.  There's a subplot involving his accidental relationship to a nice girl who works for a politician who promises to clean things up.  For a time, this looks promising, but Travis ends up taking this woman to a nudie flick, an act that widens the gap between himself and the world to which he aspires.  When he's rejected, irrevocably, Travis does - in fact - change.  He goes darker.  He gets a gun, he shaves his head, he poses in a trench coat and rehearses how he'll strike out against the criminals of the city.  He stalks the girl, gets chased off, then stalks the politician she volunteers for.  Fallen from grace, but unwilling to be the bad guy, he discovers a child call girl, exploited by her handlers, including Harvey Keitel.  Liberating her allows him to give in to the darkness while doing something "heroic."  It's heroism writ low.

In this case, Travis Bickle changes, but not for the better.  At heart, he's basically a decent guy, but before the film's end, he becomes delusional and even homicidal.  He seeps into a swamp  of decay.  His "answer" is to go out guns-a-blazing'.   It's not a pretty character arc, but it's there.  The Travis Bickle of the beginning of the film hasn't failed to evolve; it's just that he's evolved downward.

May 12, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #27 of 33
Honestly, what's the goal?

To write a screenplay?

Or to have one made into a Feature / TV Series?

Everyone and their grandmother has written a script, especially in LA.

Frankly, learn about how to pitch a script.  How to sell yourself and your ideas.

That will get you somewhere in the business, if that's what you want. 

Great scripts are a dime a dozen.

-Ed

May 13, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #29 of 33
At this point, screen play. I don't want to rush anything..It's not something I need at the moment. I'm still fleshing out the characters. I honestly would not want this film to be a mass hit at the box office. If it was, that would be great, but not my goal.. Just having my idea, characters, & story making it to film would be rewarding enough.. I'd rather have it be a cult classic then a big Hollywood hit.. Not looking to be wealthy, but enough money to live comfortable & support my mother.. Right now, I'd like to go the indie route if given the choice.. I have no illusions.. My apologies if I'm making it sound easy, it's not. I just don't want any regrets later on in life of not trying. As the saying goes.... You only life once..

As far as what I'm looking for character wise, I prefer my henchmen to have a certain flair & color to them (but not too over the top. No lasers) in the vein of Go Go, (Kill Bill) Jaws, (James Bond) Kareem Abdul Jabbar, (game of death) with a strong ethnic attachment. I love the martial art Capetria. (SP) The kicking & moves are stunning to watch & very entertaining. This Character would most likely come from Barbados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back