Writing a movie script, any advice how to pitch my idea for a movie.
May 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been pondering about writing a movie script for my film for a while now. I have the premise to the story. It's going to be campy, & in the vein of Darkman/Ichi the killer/Kill Bill/machete. The plot is simple & not very original in general, but there are things in my film that I never seen before & very unique. Something that I have personal experience with including my disability has given me ideas that most couldn't relate to. Then I got creative, & let my dark side come out. I would like to know who I should contact, or any idea to get my idea out to production companies & studio's.. I would like to get my foot in the door & see who bites on my idea. My film will be bloody & gory, with as little CGI as possible.. Looking for a lead will be unique since many don't have what it takes 'literally.'

May 4, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open with sex scene, that always works!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would worry more about writing the thing than selling it to start with.

Both good suggestions.

No one will buy an idea you haven't started scripting yet. That only works for sequels, and you know how those usually turn out.

May 4, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 33
Screenplays often are based upon the characters and events depicted in a short story or novel. IMO the first step would be to put your ideas on paper. This website has several helpful pointers for getting started and to keep you on track. How to Write a Short Story.

The best luck on your venture!

May 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 33
You need to be able to describe your idea here in 30 words or less and have us all go "Wow, great idea!" Of course, you take the risk of your idea being stolen. Here's where Hollywood paranoia begins to set in. Welcome to entertainment.

May 5, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to be able to describe your idea here in 30 words or less and have us all go "Wow, great idea!" Of course, you take the risk of your idea being stolen. Here's where Hollywood paranoia begins to set in. Welcome to entertainment.

I'm already at that point.

May 5, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you just talk to those people in Indie/short film festival? I think they should be able to help you with the direction.

I'm actually going to start the story/script/ learn about screen writing.. I just need to get focused. In 1994 I was going to write a short novel.. I was at 20 pages.. Got health problems, & lost interest. I just need to be determined & stubborn.. I know it's a long road.. It took me 4 yrs of hard work & dedication to bench 400lbs.. But this is of mental strength, & will need the guidance & help from others.. I really don't want a crappy ass B movie type film.. I see only a certain type of audience liking this film. On the total flip side, I have another idea, touching, tender, emotionally driven tale. I tend to go to one extreme to the next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who are you trying to pitch it to?

I'm getting ahead of myself.. I need something in writing.. Looking for indie type.. Just want to get my foot in the door. I started on the characters. I just have a cluster of ideas that I need to arrange for some coherentcy.

I will google, wiki, etc..

May 5, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 33
Last year, my English teacher was telling us he was writing a movie script as well. One of the few essential things he told us repeatedly was, if we were going to write something we had "to describe the whole plot and movie in one sentence". During a pitch, that is a crucial point of being able to sell your story in just one sentence. Of course, the story would have a lot of more details to get into than you can fit in a sentence, but finding the core, main idea of the movie is the most essential and crucial. Find the center and move on from there. Remember, the sentence would be crucial on how they think it would sell and how they can sell it to the audience. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back