Wracking my brains.
Aug 8, 2005 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zvio

Head-Fier
Okay, this is getting arduous. I've two jobs and a suuurplus of cash. I am saving most of it for traveling and mandatory payments [car, gas, uni, insurance, blah blah blah]. I've still this giant infection called upgraditis.

My predicament is as follows:

1. I don't want to spend a lot of cash on a set of cans/IEM. Near 180 is max, especially for used items being extra perky in that range.
2. My source is without a lineout portably -- meet the Rio Karma. I wont be using an amp because it's useless in a headphone out [tell me I'm wrong?]
3. The current headphones I use are the Panasonic RP-HJE50. They really don't seem like they do much more than let me listen to deep, muddled bass notes. Face it, there's no such thing as a bargain phone. They sound okay but aren't exact and seem to mold everything together.

My experience ranges from packaged buds with the Iriver IHP-100 [the original 10 gigger], to Sennheiser HD-280S'. I've owned [most break from regular use/borrowing isn't recommended] the aforementioned Panasonic's, Sony Eggo D66, 2 pairs of Pioneer SE-CL30, Sony EX70SL, Philips HS900, Sennheiser HD 433 and random MiniDisc couped freebies. Most have been given away, the most valued, the glorious eggo, have been broken beyond cost-time effective repair.

To cut to the chase, I want something that will plug into my Karma. I don't mind extentions; I have wire clips. I want them to be fairly portable so they can fold up preferably and be nothing honking like the 280S. I will use these things almost exclusively with a portable mindset sometimes listening in private - ie walking outside, sitting [or standing] in crowded trains, listening in libraries, lounging by water, etc. Therefore, they must isolate. If I can be convinced supra-aural phones isolate well, they're an option also. Color isn't an issue [avoiding white]. I'd like to avoid tight clampers as they mess up hair. Accuracy over thump!

Possible candidates have been:

1. Etymotic ER6
  2. Etymotic ER4P/S
  3. AKG 26P
  4. Sony MDR-D66SL
  5. DO NOT RECOMMEND SHURE

I have wild taste not unlike others but I'm picky. I stick to tried and true artists/groups without resorting to assembly-line breeds. I'm not that indie but I'm no dolt.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zvio
Okay, this is getting arduous. I've two jobs and a suuurplus of cash. I am saving most of it for traveling and mandatory payments [car, gas, uni, insurance, blah blah blah]. I've still this giant infection called upgraditis.

My predicament is as follows:

1. I don't want to spend a lot of cash on a set of cans/IEM. Near 180 is max, especially for used items being extra perky in that range.
2. My source is without a lineout portably -- meet the Rio Karma. I wont be using an amp because it's useless in a headphone out [tell me I'm wrong?]
3. The current headphones I use are the Panasonic RP-HJE50. They really don't seem like they do much more than let me listen to deep, muddled bass notes. Face it, there's no such thing as a bargain phone. They sound okay but aren't exact and seem to mold everything together.

My experience ranges from packaged buds with the Iriver IHP-100 [the original 10 gigger], to Sennheiser HD-280S'. I've owned [most break from regular use/borrowing isn't recommended] the aforementioned Panasonic's, Sony Eggo D66, 2 pairs of Pioneer SE-CL30, Sony EX70SL, Philips HS900, Sennheiser HD 433 and random MiniDisc couped freebies. Most have been given away, the most valued, the glorious eggo, have been broken beyond cost-time effective repair.

To cut to the chase, I want something that will plug into my Karma. I don't mind extentions; I have wire clips. I want them to be fairly portable so they can fold up preferably and be nothing honking like the 280S. I will use these things almost exclusively with a portable mindset sometimes listening in private - ie walking outside, sitting [or standing] in crowded trains, listening in libraries, lounging by water, etc. Therefore, they must isolate. If I can be convinced supra-aural phones isolate well, they're an option also. Color isn't an issue [avoiding white]. I'd like to avoid tight clampers as they mess up hair. Accuracy over thump!

Possible candidates have been:

1. Etymotic ER6
  2. Etymotic ER4P/S
  3. AKG 26P
  4. Sony MDR-D66SL

No brainer - Etymotic 4P

I bought mine for $201 new - total, shipped.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Wracking my brains.

You have more than one brain?

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 15
I listen to a lot of produced music like Squarepusher, Sixtoo, DJ Shadow, Alec Empire, Prefuse 73. A lot of it feeds on bass notes. Will these sound dull or should I just not listen to any hip-hop or electronica with them?

[size=small]Thanks for all the replies, withstanding.[/size]

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagusG
You have more than one brain?

Without intent to sounding like I'm crazy, you've managed to brand me. Caveat - he-he, watch out for me.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

1. Etymotic ER6
  2. Etymotic ER4P/S
  3. AKG 26P
  4. Sony MDR-D66SL

Hi Zvio,

May I ask why the Shure is getting no love?

Overlunge

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi Zvio,

May I ask why the Shure is getting no love?

Overlunge

It's this rolled off highs idea I can't stand.

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
UE super.fi 3?

Read the awful reviews on it by members here.

I think I should just get my beloved eggos again.

Aug 8, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 15
I emailed Microphone Solutions about a reduced price seen at a competing website, I'll see how that goes..plus they have some kind of coupon.

It's either ER4P or Eggos. I reckon.

Aug 8, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

It's this rolled off highs idea I can't stand.

Well, for good treble extensions that's what ER-4P does best... I guess you can't go too wrong with the Ety's.

Overlunge

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 15
I've not heard them, but a few recent posts have been praising the k26p's as great portable phones for the price, and unlike a lot of other akg cans, they've apparently got a great low end. I'm definitely going to pick a pair up soon, 40$ canaidan taxes in, you just can't go wrong.

Aug 8, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 15
I'm so apprehensive about the ER4P. If something happens to it, I'm ghastly and near-dead. That's not chump change I'd be tossing about in my bag, yannow? I'm so tired of dull, low-end sound though! I am going to Guitar Center one of these days and splurging on those AKG just so I can have at least some cans. I should really stop thinking orally. This is too much for the community
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif
etysmile.gif
-which one !?

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I'm so apprehensive about the ER4P. If something happens to it, I'm ghastly and near-dead. That's not chump change I'd be tossing about in my bag, yannow? I'm so tired of dull, low-end sound though! I am going to Guitar Center one of these days and splurging on those AKG just so I can have at least some cans. I should really stop thinking orally. This is too much for the community
tongue.gif
eggosmile.gif
etysmile.gif
-which one !?

what if something happens to your car when driving? keep them in a case if you must. I wouldnt throw any phones "in a bag".

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 15
I would still have my eggos had their headband not snapped in the cold and wiring not gone awry. They are taken apart for study. I had a superglue accident so they look marvelous. The burning sensation has spread to my right cheek as my wallet's in flames.

I also would have kept them scratch free but somehow along the way of waking up at 6:30 and tossing my school bag around, I misplaced their bag until finally, after their breaking, I found it shoved under some couch cushions..

I'm one sad waffle-crisper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back