WoW. Toshiba SD-4900 amazing redbook and Dvd-A at 60 bux
Apr 22, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #76 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099
well i tossed that jrc4580 opamp and put in the ad8620 ... its burning it right now but much more controlled and defined already, anyways fulling fewtch's stereotype here and just chiming in.
orphsmile.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
600smile.gif
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

now to replace the necessary caps with non-polar blackgates ... and what not ...

Xtreme the Vinnie Rossi mod suggests OPA2604, is there a particular reason you chose the AD8620? Are those known to be better?

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #77 of 99
way better specs heh that opa2604 is the old busted, the ad8620 is the new hotness ... i dropped by larocco's today .. phil helped me cascode the opamp even more heavily into class A to remove the tizzyness using two metal can transistors(LS840) which are actually 2 transistors in one metal can : http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LS840-2.pdf and using the output pinouts on the opamp on pin 1 and 7 and the V- on pin 4 on the 8620, bass is faster, punchier, tighter and more present, more syballence is removed from the vocals, doesnt even sound like the same player, and thats a good thing, ppl said the original opamp jrc4580 sounded flat, dynamicless, this new one seems to living it up bit, i see what he means now.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #78 of 99
Reading your post I was already sold for the 8620, but then I came across "Phil helped me cascode the opamp even more heavily into class A to remove (...)". So if you buy them and install them as they come stock they will sound bad? Or iow, the stock 8620 is maybe not better sounding than the 2604, but with this other modification using those LS840 transistors they are?
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099
way better specs heh that opa2604 is the old busted, the ad8620 is the new hotness ... i dropped by larocco's today .. phil helped me cascode the opamp even more heavily into class A to remove the tizzyness using two metal can transistors(LS840) which are actually 2 transistors in one metal can : http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LS840-2.pdf and using the output pinouts on the opamp on pin 1 and 7 and the V- on pin 4 on the 8620, bass is faster, punchier, tighter and more present, more syballence is removed from the vocals, doesnt even sound like the same player, and thats a good thing, ppl said the original opamp jrc4580 sounded flat, dynamicless, this new one seems to living it up bit, i see what he means now.

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #79 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoot2boot
Wow, those asi guys are quite illiterate. the c37 lacquer mod that they offer is good for a laugh: http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html Think id rather train up a monkey to do it.

Yes, that c37 lacquer & the bybee mod seems to be on the far right side of the scale
biggrin.gif

continuum.jpg

But some of their other upgrades do make dramatic improvements in the sound, especially those blackgate powersupply & X03 Referece clock upgrades. I had a different player modded by them & im really happy with the result

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #80 of 99
the 8620 is a way better spec and accurate sounding opamp than the opa2604, phil's heard the opa while he thought it was good, it was good for its time but new things have come out and recommended the 8620 in its place ... im just saying it improved what was already there.

Oct 14, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #82 of 99
I think there may be a basic problem with the 4900 when playing DVD-A. On my player there sometimes is a popping sound in one channel when playing some DVD-As. It sounds like random static and is quite annoying on quiet sections of the music. I suspect the player is dropping some bits during playback. It's fine on CDs and some DVD-As. I exchanged one of the discs that was very bad, and the replacement was a little better, but not perfect. There is some talk on AudioAsylum about this problem so I guess it isn't just my player. I'm returning it today. If you buy one I suggest playing several DVD-As within the return period to see if your's has the problem.

Oct 23, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #83 of 99
I checked the toshiba site and they state: archived sd-4900. When I take a look at the dvd player section, the sd-4960 is listed. Any differences between these players? Is this a new model?

Oct 24, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #85 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conraed
I checked the toshiba site and they state: archived sd-4900. When I take a look at the dvd player section, the sd-4960 is listed. Any differences between these players? Is this a new model?

The new 4960 (which is a rebadged samsung) plays sacd
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2004 at 8:12 AM Post #86 of 99
How does it compare then? For the moment I won't be modding it. Which should you buy for under 200$: sd-3960; sd-4900 or sd-4960. Or are there other better cdp's around?

Oct 24, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #87 of 99
I've had the 3960 too and before it was modded, I thought it sounded very bad. I think maybe the 4960 sounds better in stock form though I can't be sure since it was so long apart. After my 3960 failed, I was afraid to buy another one because of poor build quality and fear it'll die again
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #88 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
After my 3960 failed, I was afraid to buy another one because of poor build quality and fear it'll die again
frown.gif

What do you mean, did you just screw up modding it? What would you advise?

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #89 of 99
It didn't fail from modding. There's a logic chip on the signal board that controls the CD transport. It burnt out or something which caused the player to only play up to track 5 or 6 then it wouldn't read after that. But I guess for a cheap player you can't really expect great reliability right?

Oct 26, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #90 of 99
Natsuiro
I'm probably going to buy a tosh 4960 just to know what is all this rave about.
Do you think it can stand as a multi format player by stock ( redbook included ) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back