WOW!, the RME Digi 96/8 PAD is great!
Dec 25, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #152 of 180
HAHAHA.

An upgrade path is there for sure.
biggrin.gif

Optical output is the best path, right?

Hmmmm. Bel Canto DAC2 has optical input. Wonder how that stacks up to the internal DAC of the RME PAD.......must........stop...............can't.... .....resist..........

LOL, I think the internal DAC of the RME PAD will tide me over for some time. OK, probably not for as long as I think.

Well, until I hear a better setup at the next SoCal meet. Haha.
wink.gif

-Ed

Dec 31, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #154 of 180
How would you guys who have the card describe it?

Like its general sound?

Is it bright at all? Or natural?

I am 99% sure I am gonna get one. But I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

Dec 31, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #156 of 180
How smooth is this card? I.e., how liquid, transparent, and natural are the highs? How is the balance? Is the midrange in proportion to the rest of the frequency spectrum?

Knowing it sounds good with K1000s is definitely a plus, as those are some really really picky phones, easily in the same class as HD600/HD650.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 31, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #157 of 180
Initially I was disappointed because it seemed like it wasn't as foward and harsh like the smART DI/O with the K1000's. I was mistakening slight harshness for dynamics.

Then I realized how much more detail I could hear. Not to mention the larger soundstage. We hooked up the analog outputs and digital output to the Grace 901 and toggled the switch. It was funny. You could definitely hear the soundstage open up with the REM PAD's analog out, and then compress with the internal DAC in the Grace. and back and forth.

It is definitely smoother and more detailed. You'll like it.

-Ed

Dec 31, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #158 of 180
Excellent. My quest to build the ultimate all-around useful PC is almost complete. . .

The sad thing is my phones/amp cost almost twice as much as the computer itself, hehe. Little glitch in planning.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 31, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #160 of 180
A good computer isn't that expensive. Good sound is. :/

Jan 1, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #161 of 180
Plus you don't have to worry about good sound becoming obsolete 5 years after purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 1, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #165 of 180
And out of the 1% that use their computers for high end audio, 1% use them with an external DAC
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back