WOW!, the RME Digi 96/8 PAD is great!
Dec 8, 2003 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 180

Iron_Dreamer

Sponsor: Audeze
Landscape-Photo-Fi
Organizer for Can Jam '09
All I can say is WOW!
eek.gif

The analog output of this card is pretty damn stunning, better even than my modded DI/O. I was hoping it would sound almost as good, but it is a signifcant deal better. Instruments have more air around them, and the bass is tighter and better controlled than I've ever heard. I've heard some redbook songs with bass approaching the sound of the Metallica - s/t DVD-A I heard at the recent LA meet. Detail is also slightly improved over the DI/O, most likely because each instrument sounds better seperated than before, so minor details come to the fore more easily.

The digital output to the DI/O definitely sounds better than it does with the Delta 410, but I think the internal DAC does a better job than the DI/O, as mentioned above.

Slaving the Delta 410 to the clock signal of the RME does produce a moderately better result, for both its' digital and analog output, but they still cannot touch the RME's performance.

Let me reiterate; this card is on a whole different level of sound performance from everything I've heard before, and I'm quite frankly amazed that a soundcard could sound this good.

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 180
Sweet... I'm getting one of these sometime in the next few (six?) months... thanks for the report. In the meantime, I can sure live with the sound of my Delta AP 24/96 awhile, as it kills the mid-fi DVD player I tested it against.

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 180
Iron_Dreamer, what kind of cables are you running from the Digi96/8 PAD to your amp? Are you using a 1/4" to RCA adapter with a regular interconnect, or a special cable?

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 180
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
I just got it, actually, but the seller didn't include the wall-wart, so I'll have to go pick one up. Lucky for me, Radioshack is right across the street.

Hmmm, we'll have to find a nice linear regulated power supply, won't we?
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 180
Cool,

Thanks for the review. I just built my first HTPC mostly to act as a digital source so that I don't have to use my CD player. I inserted an M-Audio Delta 410 that I picked up for $110. I haven't done careful listening yet, but at first glance it is more harsh that my tubed Anthem CD player, but also more detailed and with greater accuracy. After breaking in for a few weeks, I plan to give it a serious listen and consider an external DAC. Now it sounds like I should give this RME card an audition.

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 180
@minya
The card cost me $275 + shipping from www.jdsound.com. It has 1/4" stereo analog input and output (1 each), spdif optical in and out, and spdif coaxial in and out.

@fewtch

I am using my Heartland belden cables hooked into a ratschack RCA-1/8 to ratshack 1/8" to 1/4". Not the best solution, but I have a better RCA to 1/4" adapet on the way, so theoretically the sound could get even better.

@edwood

Well, I got a ratshack 12v 1.5A wallwart, and tried out the NEC. It is very good indeed as a transport, almost as good a digital out as the RME. However, it did not change my opinion of the RME vs the DI/O. The headphone jack on the RCA sounds pretty good by itseld, it would be a pretty decent stand-alone player for those on the cheap.

@mike51

The RME card is not really a good idea for an HTPC, since it has only stereo output, not multichannel, unless you use it as a transport to an ADAT compatible reciever, but it sure sounds damn good. The ultimate HTPC card might be the M-Audio Delta 1010.

And as a general message, don't take the as me bashing the Delta410, since I'm not, it's the second best sound card I've ever used, this RME is just the next step ahead.

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 180
Welcome to team RME and NEC CDROM!
biggrin.gif
*salute*

Does your DI/O have BNC input?

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 180
Did you get the AES/EBU breakout cable? Do you need that for analog playback?

How much was shipping?

What does the card come with?

I'm 99% sure I'm going to order one shortly, just wondering if I need to get anything else.

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 180
Quote:

Originally posted by Harrath
Did you get the AES/EBU breakout cable? Do you need that for analog playback?

How much was shipping?

What does the card come with?

I'm 99% sure I'm going to order one shortly, just wondering if I need to get anything else.

I didn't get the extra cable, as it has only XLR connectors which I don't have on any of my other equipment. It's only $40 or so, so I'd get it if you've got an XLR DAC or amp.

The shipping for me was about $13.

The card comes with only the spidif coaxial breakout cable, an internal digital cable for CD drives, driver CD, and a professional recording software package I haven't used yet.

Dec 9, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 180
Quote:

Not the best solution, but I have a better RCA to 1/4" adapet on the way, so theoretically the sound could get even better.

Where did you get a better adapter?

Whit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back