Wow, the Cure is really good
Nov 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Living under a rock for sure...am 35 yrs old and have been meaning to try an album of theirs for about 20 yrs. now.

Picked up Disintegration and am loving it.

Am really enjoying the dark soundscapes/mezmerzing feel to it all.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 33
Welcome to the 80's
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 33
Yup, 38 here and I've always loved the Cure. I wonder if New Wave/alternative from the 1980s is poised for a comeback. It seems almost entirely forgotten except for those who grew up with it. I'm certainly biased, but a lot of good music was made then. Not everything in the 1980s, but there was a genuine creative burst on the alternative side.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 33
Similar bands?

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 33
I still love The contemporary Cure, though their last albums haven`t gathered much entusiasm,

Robert Smith and his gothic play hasn`t changed that much, over the years,

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
Yup, 38 here and I've always loved the Cure. I wonder if New Wave/alternative from the 1980s is poised for a comeback. It seems almost entirely forgotten except for those who grew up with it. I'm certainly biased, but a lot of good music was made then. Not everything in the 1980s, but there was a genuine creative burst on the alternative side.

I'm 38 too 
smile.gif
and NEVER understood the Cure. My tastes were more of the AC/DC, Led Zep, Ozzy, Black Sabbath (and U2 for the lighter side of things). Ahh...the good olde days...the 80s.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:
I'm 38 too 
smile.gif
and NEVER understood the Cure. My tastes were more of the AC/DC, Led Zep, Ozzy, Black Sabbath (and U2 for the lighter side of things). Ahh...the good olde days...the 80s.

I actually came to like harder rock in my mid-to-late twenties.  New Wave was popular in LA through my teen years and was always on the radio.  I don't know if I would have gotten into it without the exposure.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
Paging bong, paging bong....

LOL... Am I like, the biggest Cure fan on Head-Fi? I'm 33 and I've been listening to The Cure for almost my entire life. Throughout late childhood, through adolescence, and my entire adult life. Without discovering The Cure, I wouldn't have found a whole bunch of other great and awesome bands and probably would still either be listening to crap or not care about music at all. Despite their long history and discography, I think they're still valid today as artists and I still think they make great music. But I'll shut up and let this video clip speak for itself:

The Cure receiving the 2009 NME "Godlike Genius" award.

Similar bands? I think The Cure is in a class of it's own because they're really indescribable... they have everything from delving you into deep despair to raising you to elated giddiness and everything in between. Having said that, I would say the most similar band would be Joy Division/New Order, but more of an artist development standpoint throughout the years. I would say maybe some Depeche Mode would be similar as well. Other bands that are popular with Cure fans (but not necessarily sounding like them) would be The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and many others.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 33

Sounds like your a retro 80's junky like me. Well cant forget about the wife also. I'm 35 and think the cure is great along with all the other bands mentioned. My wife though is an insane Duran Duran junky, it's like crack to her.
Quote:
LOL... Am I like, the biggest Cure fan on Head-Fi? I'm 33 and I've been listening to The Cure for almost my entire life. Throughout late childhood, through adolescence, and my entire adult life. Without discovering The Cure, I wouldn't have found a whole bunch of other great and awesome bands and probably would still either be listening to crap or not care about music at all. Despite their long history and discography, I think they're still valid today as artists and I still think they make great music. But I'll shut up and let this video clip speak for itself:

The Cure receiving the 2009 NME "Godlike Genius" award.

Similar bands? I think The Cure is in a class of it's own because they're really indescribable... they have everything from delving you into deep despair to raising you to elated giddiness and everything in between. Having said that, I would say the most similar band would be Joy Division/New Order, but more of an artist development standpoint throughout the years. I would say maybe some Depeche Mode would be similar as well. Other bands that are popular with Cure fans (but not necessarily sounding like them) would be The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and many others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back