Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Apr 25, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #4,006 of 4,363

Supper's Ready (Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford)
And even better AUDIO quality from "official" audio mixed (and synchronized) with various video sources:
Audio: Genesis Archive (1967-75)
Video: Live at Bataclan (1973), Live at Shepperton (1973), Live at Melody TV (1974)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #4,007 of 4,363

Genesis: Live Shepperton Studios October 1973 (first time in HD)​

Read in the description about the process and huge amount of work invested in order to achieve such a video and audio quality from the original tapes.

Fun to see that again, thanks for that one. I went and re-listened to Fly On A Windshield and just revealed in the ease at being able to pick an instrument and follow it no matter how complex the mix became. Also love the rippling keyboards by Tony, as that track flowed into Cuckoo Cocoon. I've been relishing that whole first disc. No 2 disc has probably one of the most beautifully written tracks in rock music, The Lamia, pure poetry set to music.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #4,008 of 4,363
Getting my white whale today!

About 5 years ago, I accepted I'd never get an HD800S, so I stumbled upon an HD540 Ref I 600 ohm NON gold (for $125 :)) and fell in love with it. Always wanted the Gold Ref I 600 ohms though, but it's tough to get it without people demanding a ton of money for it.

Three years ago I ended up getting a deal on HD800S, and jumped on it. I love them, but I still coveted the gold.

Last week saw someone put up a HD540 Gold Ref I 600 ohm on eBay and I pounced it. Paid more than I like, $275, and doesn't come with the box or anything, just the headphones with new pads.

Nevertheless, this white whale of mine is coming in today and I can't wait!! Even if it is not much of an upgrade over my non Gold Ref I 600ohm, that's ok. I still anticipate selling the non Golds, but we'll see.

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #4,009 of 4,363
Apr 29, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #4,010 of 4,363
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #4,011 of 4,363
Careful, that's like pouring coke into a pepsi glass, they might just shatter
I don't know about that analogy, both are highly toxic concoctions ....
Looking to find the nearest thing I can to the original cloth-covered pads, these BD pads will at least fit, the German Orhpolster leather jobs are horrible, been there, done that. I will be buying another set of the Wang pleathers as well, a known quality and with the thinner foams too. Likely to buy some more Mogami #2894 quad core cable so that my spare HD540s have their own cable.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #4,013 of 4,363
I don't know about that analogy, both are highly toxic concoctions ....
Looking to find the nearest thing I can to the original cloth-covered pads, these BD pads will at least fit, the German Orhpolster leather jobs are horrible, been there, done that. I will be buying another set of the Wang pleathers as well, a known quality and with the thinner foams too. Likely to buy some more Mogami #2894 quad core cable so that my spare HD540s have their own cable.
I'm not sure how, or how much, the perforated backs of these would affect things. There are some black beyerdynamic pads without the perforations, which might be closer, or give you options to play with

Apr 30, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #4,014 of 4,363
I'm not sure how, or how much, the perforated backs of these would affect things. There are some black beyerdynamic pads without the perforations, which might be closer, or give you options to play with
Definitely something I had considered and options are always good in this case. Some, like the Wang velours, have a fairly small ear space, restricting the soundstage, the BDs are at least a closer match in pad thickness, especially OD to ID and have an 80mm interior ID. If I can find very similar dimension in a pad without the inner perforations, I'd like to try them too. Some of the other BD pads are far too thick and deep, nothing like the original Senn jobs.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #4,016 of 4,363
Getting my white whale today!

About 5 years ago, I accepted I'd never get an HD800S, so I stumbled upon an HD540 Ref I 600 ohm NON gold (for $125 :)) and fell in love with it. Always wanted the Gold Ref I 600 ohms though, but it's tough to get it without people demanding a ton of money for it.

Three years ago I ended up getting a deal on HD800S, and jumped on it. I love them, but I still coveted the gold.

Last week saw someone put up a HD540 Gold Ref I 600 ohm on eBay and I pounced it. Paid more than I like, $275, and doesn't come with the box or anything, just the headphones with new pads.

Nevertheless, this white whale of mine is coming in today and I can't wait!! Even if it is not much of an upgrade over my non Gold Ref I 600ohm, that's ok. I still anticipate selling the non Golds, but we'll see.
Can I ask how close they sound? Does the Ref Gold sound warmer than Ref 1? Congratulations, the Ref Gold is quite a stunner in person.

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #4,018 of 4,363
I'm going to try a set of these for my HD540 Ref1s. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165290669209?var=464843444141
If you haven't ordered yet, take a look at this version (the one named "Black1").
If you look carefully, they are thinner and they have only one row of holes on the back side.
The ones in the link you sent look a bit thicker and have two rows of holes on the back side.

To my ears, the Black1 are the closest sounding to the original Senns' velours that I've heard until now, and sound better than the Wangs. They also come in gray velour version, named Gray1.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385131959368?var=653012870533

The ones that you sent the link to (named Gray2 @ this seller) also come in in a black velour variation named Black2, which is crazy comfortable and soft, a bit "furry" to the touch. Not much difference to the sound to the gray velour ones, if any...

I bought them from different sellers, and as I said, the thinner pads are sounding better and closer to the original Senns' velours than the thicker ones, be it in gray or black velour.

EDIT- On second look, the pads' proportions on the link you sent look thinner than the two rows back holes ear pads in this seller's Gray2 version. Go figure, there are tens of sellers on eBay selling this exact same ear pads model (also same description and same photographs)...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #4,019 of 4,363
If you haven't ordered yet, I suggest buying this version (named "Black1").
If you look carefully, they are thinner (they have one one row of holes on the back side) than the ones in the link you sent, that are thicker and have two rows of holes on the back side.

To my ears, the Black1 are the closest sounding to the original Senns' velours that I've heard until now, even better than the Wangs. They also come in gray velour version, named @ this seller Gray1.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385131959368?var=653012870533

The ones that you sent the link to (named Gray2 @ this seller) also come in in a black velour variation (named Black2 @ this seller), which is crazy comfortable and soft, a bit "furry" to the touch. Not much difference to the sound to the gray velour ones, if any...

I have them all (not big deal at this price..:wink:), and as I said, the thin options are sounding better and closer to the original Senns than the thicker ones, be it in gray or black velour.
IF I can get them in Australia it would be much better, the others I sent the link to are available here and fairly swiftly. OS shipping these days is slooooooooow. Even slower than OZ Post can be! One row of perfs is probably better than two, but the pads are cheap enough that I could experiment with blocking off both one row or all of them and listening for the difference. Are you saying that the pads with one row of perfs are actually a little thinner than the two perf versions? As in a larger ear cavity?
BTW, how thick are the foams that come with them?

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #4,020 of 4,363
IF I can get them in Australia it would be much better, the others I sent the link to are available here and fairly swiftly. OS shipping these days is slooooooooow. Even slower than OZ Post can be! One row of perfs is probably better than two, but the pads are cheap enough that I could experiment with blocking off both one row or all of them and listening for the difference. Are you saying that the pads with one row of perfs are actually a little thinner than the two perf versions? As in a larger ear cavity?
BTW, how thick are the foams that come with them?
Exactly - the thinner pads (one perforations row) leave a larger ear cavity. The height is identical, similar to the height of the original Senns pads.
If I remember well, they come with aprox. 2mm foams, close to the replacement foams that come with the original HD430 Senns' pads. The truth is I don't care much, since I already have lots of different thickness and density foams to experiment with and anyways I mostly use variations of speaker acoustic fabric instead of foams with my HD540 and HD250 phones, to get the cleanest and purest high range. The timbre and definition of the cymbals is crazy on these phones...:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back