Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #3,106 of 4,363
I would like to try these out with a balanced XLR cable. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that cables intended for the HD600/650s should fit. However the balanced cable from my hd650s bought from a seller on eBay do not fit and the pins themselves do not look the the same. Can anyone recommend a cable that would fit my HD540s without modification, preferably from a European source?
Remove plasatic cascades with a sharp knife, and don't worry about the thickness of the connector compared to the original flat one.Because the connector is very close to the headphones

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #3,107 of 4,363
I would like to try these out with a balanced XLR cable. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that cables intended for the HD600/650s should fit. However the balanced cable from my hd650s bought from a seller on eBay do not fit and the pins themselves do not look the the same. Can anyone recommend a cable that would fit my HD540s without modification, preferably from a European source?
Remove plasatic cascades with a sharp knife, and don't worry about the thickness of the connector compared to the original flat one.Because the connector is very close to the headphones
T1000 is right. It has happened to me before.
You'll have to obtain something like that :
senn_pin.jpg

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,111 of 4,363
You'd probably need to get one made as a custom order. Skyaudio cables would probably be happy to help

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #3,112 of 4,363
I would like to try these out with a balanced XLR cable. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that cables intended for the HD600/650s should fit. However the balanced cable from my hd650s bought from a seller on eBay do not fit and the pins themselves do not look the the same. Can anyone recommend a cable that would fit my HD540s without modification, preferably from a European source?HD 540 reference  1.JPG
An age old problem ... though usually easily fixed :) It's mostly because the new plug won't go in deep enough, right? It's often just a tad (little) bit wide, so you will need a sharp scalpel blade to trim a VERY small amount off each side of that first step nearest the pins. No need to do the larger flat top and bottom sides, just enough from the sides to narrow the jack a touch to be able to push the pins in further, there's usually the slightest of clicks as the pins go right in. The same needs to be done to the standard HD600/650 jack/plug. This is a normal process to do with any of the newer plugs, whether making your own or not, I've had to do that several times over various incarnations of cables I've made. Hope this helps you out.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #3,113 of 4,363
You'll have to cut/carve it some. Pics somewhere above in the thread. Up to the shoulder, so that it fits.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #3,116 of 4,363
This thread has done more for the second hand HD540 market than anything else, apparently. Before this thread it wasn't uncommon to find a nice pair of HD540 for less than $100 ($150 for Reference Golds). Some guy in eBay has a NIB HD540 for sale now for almost $500. And the pads seem to have some damage on them from age, so they need to be replaced.

Quick question to owners: I have read in many places that people think these are built like cheap plastic toys. But are they durable?

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #3,117 of 4,363
This thread has done more for the second hand HD540 market than anything else, apparently. Before this thread it wasn't uncommon to find a nice pair of HD540 for less than $100 ($150 for Reference Golds). Some guy in eBay has a NIB HD540 for sale now for almost $500. And the pads seem to have some damage on them from age, so they need to be replaced.

Quick question to owners: I have read in many places that people think these are built like cheap plastic toys. But are they durable?
Mine I've had for 32 years since buying them new in 1989. All original headband, no driver issues other than me cleaning out a couple of fine hairs a few months ago from around a driver coil. They are still by far my favourite set of cans to wear and the sheer out-of-head experience for me is also second to none that I have here .. by far! Vertical soundstage above forehead and below chin level, as well as seemingly behind my ears on some recordings, leaves the HifiMAN HE400S planars way behind in that respect. It's that light yet rigid construction that allows both the capsules AND my head itself to virtually disappear from the musical experience. Nothing I've heard comes close, that includes a pair of Focal Elear cans I heard a few months ago, as focused as they were. The HD540 Ref 1s are also a very intimate experience, as mentioned my head disappears and the musical event is just everywhere. You either like that or you don't, I find it deeply connecting to the emotional experience.
The headband and capsules look close to new and I've used them for thousands of hours over many years.
Spot the difference in the photos, about 28 years apart in age and I've looked after the two cans just the same. Obviously the materials in the HE400S are NOT the same! Sennheiser HD540 Ref1s first. Ah no, I did not give them a quick dust off first.
PS Notice the quality of the stitching, basically perfect after 32 years. Not so much with the HE400S after just 4 years!
P3240953 2.jpg
P3240954 2.jpg
P3240955 2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #3,118 of 4,363
And now for the HifiMAN HE400S:
P3240956 2.jpg
P3240957 2.jpg
P3240959 2.jpg

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #3,119 of 4,363

If you're comfortable with the iron a good option is to take a simple HD650 stock cable, cut off the 6.35mm plug and terminate with Neutrik 4-pin. €22 all-in via Thomann.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #3,120 of 4,363

They have been on the market for a long time and people treat them inadequately (when you only see the condition in which they are sold). Maybe now the owners will give them more respect. In my opinion, the price of 500 e is miserable for them. Other legendary headphones are on their thrones ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back