Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Mar 26, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #3,136 of 4,363
Also to all of you. There where serious quality control issues witht these especially the ones built in Ireland. Once you get your set open up the driver amd check if there are no hairs stuck to it. So far out of all the 5xx series I have owned half had the issue of hair stuck in the driver and making them distort and giving some other wierd phase and noise/sound issues. Even the reference gold can have this issue. And so far only way one can tell there is something wrong is by having two or more of them where atleast one does not have anything stuck to the driver. Difference is staggering. Yet noone from whom iv bought these has ever noticed it and libed with them for years without realizing there is something wrong.
Those hairs are there from factpry assembly. Doesnt matter if its gen 1 or gen 2 all of thwm have this issue and quite often.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #3,137 of 4,363
Haha 😂 what you’re describing is exactly the difference between the reference 2 and 1 for me.
I.e. wtvr you’re describing about the one is how it sounds with the 2 and wtvr you’re describing about the 2 is like the 1. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Then you should be verry happy camper. Cheaper to buy and easier to power and way easier to come by. If they sound better to you then by all means a win win for you.
But have to be honest so far have seen only 3 or 4 people who prefer the renference 2 to reference 1. Gues your taste is way different.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #3,138 of 4,363
Different ears, different amps, nyeh, c'est la vie :) I've had both my Ref 1s (600 ohms) and a set of 300 ohm Ref IIs here, using my same Mogami cable, amps etc, and while there were similarities as in a family resemblance, the Ref1s did not have the upper mid peak that was very clear in contrast. Some folks might prefer the extra mid forwardness of the II's and for me although it was still clean and clear, that peak was noticeable enough for me to possibly avoid some musical genres ... unless I wanted some extra brightness in the mids. The Mogami cable is utterly neutral and will show up the innate signature very clearly of any headphone that they are connected to. I enjoyed the Ref IIs though if mine they would certainly get used a lot less often. I even swapped the thicker pads that came with them for the pleather 'wangs' I always have on the Ref 1s, and I preferred them that way too.
It would be a boring world if we all had the same experiences!

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #3,139 of 4,363
Also to all of you. There where serious quality control issues witht these especially the ones built in Ireland. Once you get your set open up the driver amd check if there are no hairs stuck to it. So far out of all the 5xx series I have owned half had the issue of hair stuck in the driver and making them distort and giving some other wierd phase and noise/sound issues. Even the reference gold can have this issue. And so far only way one can tell there is something wrong is by having two or more of them where atleast one does not have anything stuck to the driver. Difference is staggering. Yet noone from whom iv bought these has ever noticed it and libed with them for years without realizing there is something wrong.
Those hairs are there from factpry assembly. Doesnt matter if its gen 1 or gen 2 all of thwm have this issue and quite often.
Indeed the Irish built cans can sometimes have issues and imbalances between the capsules, this from a pal who has rebuilt many of them. Luck of the draw apparently. I'm just glad I have German built HD540 Ref 1s, just check out the quality of that headband that is STILL almost like new after 32 years of thrashing! Astonishing really.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #3,140 of 4,363
I have the reference 1 600 ohm version and the reference 2 and the 2 kills it in every aspect!!
My preference for the 'wang' pleather pads is probably well known here and I'm not alone, IF you can find the original style of cloth covered pads, they are still the most comfortable, though the bass is more ethereal and open rather than the physicality I experience now. Mine died after many years of service and the Senn importer in OZ could not get any more some years ago now.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #3,141 of 4,363
It is good to be informed about these details

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #3,142 of 4,363
I just got my HD540 Ref II! They are in great condition, but it looks like I will need to replace the velour pads. What is the consensus about the best set of earpads for a Ref II? Ideally I would like something which doesn't change the sound character of the headphones.

Is there a repository of knowledge about these things, or is it a question of searching this humongous thread?
I think it's easiest to type in the browser, for example - pads for HD 540 - and it will find not only pages on this thread, but also from other forums

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #3,143 of 4,363
My desire for a new WOW headphone sound experience obsesses me so much that through reading a lot of reviews about all the headphones, no matter the price, my audition list has been reduced to the following headphones;
-Aria
-HE 1000se
-D 8000
--1266phi
- Susvara
at the moment I could only afford the first two.
Out of this list, I think it would be a waste of money

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #3,144 of 4,363
My couple will be with me forever.

Tonight I listened to Clear -Mg on Naim at a local dealer. Good sound, don't ask me if they are better than Gold, I'm already accused of inflating
maybe Aria offers progress
P.S. Naim is not a headphone amplifier (and I don't know which model)
But the thing is that our pretensions are different, for some the Beats will be far better
And the correctness of that should not be questioned by anyone, because music is created to be enjoyed. Different people, different ears, different music

Whatever you say, pal.
I have been long enough here on HF, such statements as yours always lead to the same outcome.
Beats is irrelevant example in this context.
Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3,145 of 4,363
I think it's easiest to type in the browser, for example - pads for HD 540 - and it will find not only pages on this thread, but also from other forums
Yeah, thank you. Some search and I came up with the wang_yifei pads which seem to be recommended by some members in this thread. I think I might order a set of pleathers and a set of velours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...223412?hash=item3a87d89d74:g:bXoAAOSwG-1WweDy

This seller also has a thicker (over 30mm) set of goatskin pads for the HD540. I guess these wouldn't sound good because they are not mentioned here?

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,146 of 4,363
I have the reference 1 600 ohm version and the reference 2 and the 2 kills it in every aspect!!
It's interesting that you say this, because @lantian and others disagree. But other users agree with you. In particular, I think that @o0CosmoMemory0o mentioned in the past that the Reference II were his favorite, and I think if there is an authority on HD540 must be he since he had like a dozen of them. :beerchug:

I guess there must be some variability between units, and the late production HD540 Reference II were made in Ireland, which some people say had more inconsistent production standards.

Mine is a late production from Ireland, by the way, but seems to sound amazingly good (although I have no other HD540 to compare it to).

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3,147 of 4,363
Thebest pads period are the clth ones that where with them originally and have a silk foil in them
So it seems the pads are in good condition structurally and not too dirty, but I would like to wash them. Is there any problem washing the velour HD 540 Reference II pads? I have a few questions about this.

1. How to exactly remove the pads safely? Do you pull out from the inside diameter of the pad or from the outside diameter? Do you pull the plastic ring they are attached to?

2. Is it possible to remove the plastic ring from the pads without destroying them, and if not, do I wash them with the pastic ring?

3. When you buy replacement pads I guess they don't come with the plastic ring, so it is necessary to treat the existing ring with the utmost care, or is there a source for these plastic rings?

4. One of the foam membranes that separates the driver from the ear has a little tear, so I need to replace it. Is there a source of these, or do I need to make my own? If so, is there a recommended source for a material which won't change the sound signature?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am naturally paranoid and I don't want to damage the HD540 that I just got! :beyersmile:

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,148 of 4,363
My preference for the 'wang' pleather pads is probably well known here and I'm not alone, IF you can find the original style of cloth covered pads, they are still the most comfortable, though the bass is more ethereal and open rather than the physicality I experience now. Mine died after many years of service and the Senn importer in OZ could not get any more some years ago now.
Oh yeah, you were the guy flaunting his 'wang' (pads) HAHA!

Say, do you remember if these pads came with the foam discs as well? From their auction it seems they do, but it shows the discs to be 5mm thick. Doesn't that seem to be much thicker than the stock discs? Do they change the sound, or did you use different discs?

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,149 of 4,363
Say, do you remember if these pads came with the foam discs as well? From their auction it seems they do, but it shows the discs to be 5mm thick. Doesn't that seem to be much thicker than the stock discs? Do they change the sound, or did you use different discs?

They do have thinner ones, and you can ask them for the thinner (2mm) foam discs when you order. He sent me two sets when I ordered the velour pads, which I do not like with my HD560's, BTW. Creates the typical V-shaped tone profile. The main reasons are, the foam is too thick/.dense, and the inner hole is too small, which blocks the outer ports/openings on the baffle, or whatever that is called in headphone-speak. All of the aftermarket HD540-560 pads have small holes.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #3,150 of 4,363
It's interesting that you say this, because @lantian and others disagree. But other users agree with you. In particular, I think that @o0CosmoMemory0o mentioned in the past that the Reference II were his favorite, and I think if there is an authority on HD540 must be he since he had like a dozen of them. :beerchug:

I guess there must be some variability between units, and the late production HD540 Reference II were made in Ireland, which some people say had more inconsistent production standards.

Mine is a late production from Ireland, by the way, but seems to sound amazingly good (although I have no other HD540 to compare it to).
IKR, I have the same thoughts!!
I guess every piece was different, idk 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back