Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Aug 13, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #2,731 of 4,357
Would you say the MK1 600 ohm and Gold sound a bit the same?

Yes, I have found them to be very close in overall tonality and refinement. If memory serves me, the Gold was also 600 Ohm, so that factor may have contributed to the high degree of similarity. Just like Archaos, it is rather unlikely that I will ever own the Gold, unless a really irrefuseable deal would come along. I think that is highly unlikely to happen...

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #2,732 of 4,357
So I just had a listening session with replacement Chinese fake DT 880 velour pads that were like 4 euro's, and honestly, I really, really like the midrange and treble of them. They sound a bit softer around the edges as compared to the wang pleathers, making them more enjoyable for me.

What I don't like though, is the lack of bass with these pads vs the wang pleathers, and the less intimate sound presentation.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #2,733 of 4,357
So I just had a listening session with replacement Chinese fake DT 880 velour pads that were like 4 euro's, and honestly, I really, really like the midrange and treble of them. They sound a bit softer around the edges as compared to the wang pleathers, making them more enjoyable for me.

What I don't like though, is the lack of bass with these pads vs the wang pleathers, and the less intimate sound presentation.
Yes, you've pretty much nailed it with your description. For me, I'm not so fond of the softer mid/treble balance with the Ref1s, but it works a treat with the HD250 Linear .. so a point. The 'I am there' transparent intimacy is something I really like.

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #2,734 of 4,357
Ok, one ebay guy sent me his used grey velour HD560 pads, and I get that, why he says these are the best pads for HD540.
The argument for it goes like this: HD540 is a reference headphone, and therefore it suffers from being tuned to more bass and sharper sound with pleather pads, or blunted with unsuitable material as Memory foam is. These headphones show their timbre very much only with very soft wrap material as velour or fabric, that is filled with "non-memory foam" sparse foam. That is why old grey velour pads sound so good, because the foam is sparse (thin) in them. The timbre is exceptional with them. There is no comparison to it, forget wang's pleather pads, that make your HD540 sound too universal and bass heavy. They are the closest how pleather can get to timbre. I tried new Sennheiser replacement HD560 velour pads as well, and the magic is missing, because the foam is not sparse enough. You really need old foam, and then soft velour or fabric wrap to get to the magic. So how to get there without buying all HD560 headphones that are sold on ebay and get their old worn pads from them? Wel,, there is a solution to this :). Buy fabric option of these pads https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-leather-Cushion-ear-pads-for-AKG-K701-K702-Q701-Q702-K601-k612-k712/322924921469?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=512043796368&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 . Then demolish it = tear the back plate off and remove and throw away the memory foam. Then get a soft sparse foam (not memory foam) from some cheap hifiman pads (or from used pleather pads), put it into the fabric wrap and glue it back close to its original shape with textil or shoe glue (I even glued the rings there) The resulting pad will not be as tall becaue such foam does not hold the shape as well as memory foam, but it will sound much better - less veiled, better then somehow bright and thin sounding original Sennheiser replacement HD560 velour pads, you will get 90% of sound of grey HD560 stock pads. Still, some sweetness of timbre and shape of space is missing, but it is a close call. There you go. No need to buy and resell HD560 headphones, unless you want full 100%.

I will further experiment with cotton wool filling instead of sparse foam.
Hey, have you heard these fabric pads on the 540?

If so, how did they compare in bass presence to the newer HD 560 Ovation pads?

Also, how do you feel the bass presence of the older grey HD 560 pads, compares to the newer black HD 560 pads?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #2,735 of 4,357
Just had a listening session with the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads. Woooow, best timbre I have heard yet, extremely clean sounding as well because of the Alcantara material that deadens resonances very well, so you get a really natural, textured yet smooth sparkly sound. Don't be worried that they may sound dull, they're clearer than the wang pleathers, AKG Feiyen and chinese DT 880 velours!

Bass is still a bit lackluster for me, but it definitely has more impact to it than the chinese DT 880 velours. If only it would have the bass of the wang pleathers… Mids and highs are actually as close to perfect as I've ever heard.

I'm surprised just 1 guy in the whole thread has mentioned them!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #2,736 of 4,357
I have awakened my HD540 II (Chinese pleather pads) from their almost year long slumber. Listening to them with my new Asgard 3 amp.
WOW. I do not remember them sounding this good. Just a hair less good than my HD540 600 Ohms. To think I almost sold these off.

Oct 3, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #2,737 of 4,357
Hello fellow HD540 owners!

I'm sorry if this topic was already discussed earlier here, but does anyone have some information about compatibility of different custom cables? I heard that non-Sennheiser made cables for HD600/650 may have problems with fitting headphone connectors into cups of "old" Senns like 540, 250 etc. I'm specifically interested in Alpha Design Labs (Furutech) cables, will their connectors fit properly without chopping them or headphone cups :)

Oct 3, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #2,738 of 4,357
Hello fellow HD540 owners!

I'm sorry if this topic was already discussed earlier here, but does anyone have some information about compatibility of different custom cables? I heard that non-Sennheiser made cables for HD600/650 may have problems with fitting headphone connectors into cups of "old" Senns like 540, 250 etc. I'm specifically interested in Alpha Design Labs (Furutech) cables, will their connectors fit properly without chopping them or headphone cups :)

You will need to remove part of the plug on the cable. Completely remove at the solid line and shave down even to the dashed line. Perfect fit then.

QPZd3Eq.jpg

Oct 3, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,739 of 4,357
You will need to remove part of the plug on the cable. Completely remove at the solid line and shave down even to the dashed line. Perfect fit then.

Quick question... I see you have an HD565. How does it compare in timbre, detail, separation, musically to the other hps you have? I feel like it is over looked these days.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,740 of 4,357
Quick question... I see you have an HD565. How does it compare in timbre, detail, separation, musically to the other hps you have? I feel like it is over looked these days.

I will have to get back to you on this in a few days. i just received my new Asgard 3 amp on Saturday and am still breaking it in. I have not listened to all my headphones with it yet. I can say the Asgard 3 is way better than the Magni 3 to me.

Oct 4, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,741 of 4,357

OK, your question kept nagging me so I just had to dig them out and give them a quick listen. I am comparing them to my HD540II that I have been using all week.

The 565 have a bit smaller soundstage and separation than the 540. Not much but noticeable. They also sound a bit colder and more sterile than the 540II. The 540II are more warm and smooth.

These are just my thoughts after a couple of songs. I will be keeping them that is for sure.

I will also try to compare the 580 to the 540II and the 565 this weekend, if I get time.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #2,742 of 4,357

QPZd3Eq.jpg
Spot on, I've literally just done that with a Mogami cable that I'm shortening and decided to do this little mod while I'm at it. I didn't need to cut quite that far down the plug, halfway between the notch and the flat was enough to fit snuggly into the HD540 cups. I slightly overdid the cutting just once and found that the jack became a little sloppy 'cos I trimmed the width of it too and that's totally unnecessary, only the length is required and a sharp scalpel blade is perfect for the job.
If anyone is making up their own cables from scratch, I've discovered that 2-3mm parachute cable makes for a lovely soft and pliable outer sheath from the Y-junction. Just pull the centre out of the parachute cable and use the outer. Perfect!

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,743 of 4,357
Spot on, I've literally just done that with a Mogami cable that I'm shortening and decided to do this little mod while I'm at it. I didn't need to cut quite that far down the plug, halfway between the notch and the flat was enough to fit snuggly into the HD540 cups. I slightly overdid the cutting just once and found that the jack became a little sloppy 'cos I trimmed the width of it too and that's totally unnecessary, only the length is required and a sharp scalpel blade is perfect for the job.
If anyone is making up their own cables from scratch, I've discovered that 2-3mm parachute cable makes for a lovely soft and pliable outer sheath from the Y-junction. Just pull the centre out of the parachute cable and use the outer. Perfect!

I got the idea to do this from Bostonears who posted it on here about 7 years ago. Here is his picture.

uhFYMje.jpg

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #2,744 of 4,357
PA120069.jpg PA120070.jpg PA120072.jpg Just finished re-making this cable, shortening it to around 6' and reconnecting the 6.5mm plug, instead of using a 3.5mm + adapter. Cable is Mogami #2893 with the parachute cable from the Y-junction, nice and soft.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #2,745 of 4,357
Now I have to make a new set of cables and trim like you did, Sennsay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back