Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #331 of 4,363
Today I have received my Sennheiser HD 430 pads for replacement to the HD 540 Reference II. Before I bought them I have tested my headphones with the HD 250 Pads which was already discussed in this thread, but however I dont liked these pads.

The HD 250 Pads are way to expensive (30€) and the HD 540 II lost its sound qualities with it.

First thing I have to say is that I am really suprised about the HD 430 pads in a positive way. The build quality is amazing and at least as good as the HD 250 Pads for almost half of the price (17€)

Pleather is a bit thinner, but very tight and slick-much better than the shoddy HD 530 Pads which cost about the same. The pads itsself are more flat than the HD 250 Pads, so that the ears are more close to the driver, but the wearing comfort is still very good.

What to say about the sound quality is that the HD 430 pads make a much better impression on the HD 540 Reference II, than before with my HD 250 pads. So I think that this a good compromise in compare to the old verlour pads.

The sound is very dry, splashy, and intimate. The sound stage is wide, but still not wide as the HD 530, although they have two different sound characters. So its only a question of personal preference.

But Iam happy that the somehow washed out sound with HD 250 now has gone.

May 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #332 of 4,363
http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-430/ear-pads-1-pair---black-033166.html

Maybe I could use the inner material of the HD430 pads to restore the thickness to any flattened HD540II velour pads. I could cut both pads open along the seam and transplant the inner foam into the HD540II velour then sew it up along the seam...

Hmmmm

May 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #333 of 4,363
Okay, so I decided to risk it and gut both flattened HD540II velour pads. I carefully tore both along the inner seam to release the yellow inner foam held within it. This foam has aged and now compresses too easily, which equals a flimsy pad that doesn't image as well. I'm thinking of buying a cheap pair of HD430 pads, gutting them and using the inner (foam??) material to remake my gutted HD540II pads. Not sure if it'll work but I need something that will give better spatial results than a HD560 "adapted-to-fit" pad.

May 5, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #334 of 4,363
Why do you put so much effort in this? I dont think that the sound quality will be better when you just replacing the inner foam of your old pads. Although these pads are new and the covering of your old verlour pads are over 20 years old. Sooner or later there comes the time, when you have to trow them away, so you should be lucky that Sennheiser still offers these HD 430 pads.

Have you ever thought about replacing the rotten foam inside of your headphones? Thats a much more important thing to improve the sound quality of your Sennheiser HD 540 Reference II, due its insulation qualities has gone. The inner foam has become an greasy and airtight mass after 20 years, so its very important to replace it. Otherwise the original sound character is disorted, because the air cant pass through them.

May 6, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #335 of 4,363
Whatever gives me the best results really. After cleaning, the velour skin looks like new with no discolouration. I've actually transplanted HD560 foam into the earpads as a test. I just need to stitch it up carefully. The skin looks like new anyway and the replacement foam is new so once stitched up, the resulting pads will have the same firmness, texture and sound permeable nature as the original.

I prefer to not use foam to cover the driver face. Thin circular cloth is a better alternative as it doesn't rot, is easy to clean and doesn't attentuate any high frequencies. The headphone is designed to be open so minimal obstructions give the best results, I feel.

May 6, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #336 of 4,363
  Today I have received my Sennheiser HD 430 pads for replacement to the HD 540 Reference II. Before I bought them I have tested my headphones with the HD 250 Pads which was already discussed in this thread, but however I dont liked these pads.

The HD 250 Pads are way to expensive (30€) and the HD 540 II lost its sound qualities with it.

First thing I have to say is that I am really suprised about the HD 430 pads in a positive way. The build quality is amazing and at least as good as the HD 250 Pads for almost half of the price (17€)

Pleather is a bit thinner, but very tight and slick-much better than the shoddy HD 530 Pads which cost about the same. The pads itsself are more flat than the HD 250 Pads, so that the ears are more close to the driver, but the wearing comfort is still very good.

What to say about the sound quality is that the HD 430 pads make a much better impression on the HD 540 Reference II, than before with my HD 250 pads. So I think that this a good compromise in compare to the old verlour pads.

The sound is very dry, splashy, and intimate. The sound stage is wide, but still not wide as the HD 530, although they have two different sound characters. So its only a question of personal preference.

But Iam happy that the somehow washed out sound with HD 250 now has gone.

My thoughts exactly.

May 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #337 of 4,363
By only using the cloth without any foam on the backside you will ruin the sound of your HD 540 Reference II completely. I have also tested this with cloth only and the bass becomes very loose without any contour.  This is not in the sense of the engineers who have devoleped this headphone.

The foam on the backside has some important insulation properties like in a loudspeaker so it must be replaced. After you have done that, your headphones begin to shine.

May 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #338 of 4,363
  By only using the cloth without any foam on the backside you will ruin the sound of your HD 540 Reference II completely. I have also tested this with cloth only and the bass becomes very loose without any contour.

So here's a question. What happens to the bass when you substitute foam with cloth and use EQ to make the frequency response exactly the same with cloth as with foam?

May 6, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #339 of 4,363
I don't use any EQ with the HD540II. You don't need to. It's not bright or dark IMO, with or without foam. If you're hearing treble emphasis through a HD540II, the source or amplification is probably to blame. I cover the driver face with thin cloth (it doesn't rot) and keep the default cloth/foam covering within the back of the driver capsule. With a gentle but firm headband tension and velour pads rigid enough to suspend the drivers a little way from the ear, performance is great.

If you really want the icing on the cake from a HD540II, connect it to a Graham Slee DAC/amp. Incredible spatiality after being used for a while.

May 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #341 of 4,363
My point is that EQ will give the same level of increase in precision/resolution/etc. as any amount of modding with pads, foams, cloth and so on. The benefit being indeed that you can use more durable materials without worry of them negatively affecting sound quality.

May 7, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #343 of 4,363
It's no less trolling than proposing that 30-year-old headphones sound good in 2014. You know it to be true, but for someone who's not familiar with 30-year-old headphones, or who's heard only the many poor ones, your proposition would be absurd.

May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #344 of 4,363
Trolling? Aren't we just sharing experiences? That's all I'm doing.

On May 29th, I shall be comparing my reference HD540II to both the Sennheiser HD800 and the Audeze LCD-2 through professional amplification. There may be other expensive headphones there as well. I will be taking pictures and maybe making a video to show any equipment setups. Then I'll know for sure whether I'm kidding myself about the HD540II. I'm looking forward to proving myself right or wrong.

May 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #345 of 4,363
This wasnt related to you, but to vid. I dont think he believes this seriously when saying that an equalizer can compensate the lack of parts missing on your headphone. Thats just make your headphone sound even more strange and will falsify the soundquality

Your video about replacing the foam of your earpads was very good. You just have to cut off the pads carefully on the old stitching line (fully velour pads on the backside) - not the pleather backside as shown on the video.  Then you replace the foam and give the pads to a dressmaker who will make a perfect invisible stitching line for you. Your pads will look like new after that.

On the negative side this will cost about 36€ for the foam from HD 560 Pads + 10€ for stitching by dressmaker. That is pretty much for pads only....but will be a perfect solution without any compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back