Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 3, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #318 of 4,363

Do you have to cut back the plastic on the pad to get the ring to fit in the back of the pad?

Yes, you have to cut away some plastic. It's not easy to transplant the ring because the materials are so stiff. I had the break the old ring to remove it then cut the material close to the edge to give enough space to force the new ring in. It's something of a nuisance but gives better results than the HD250 pleather. Still not happy with it though. Does anyone here have flattened/dirty/useless HD540II velour pads that they don't want? I need to see if I can rebuild and clean old pads using some equipment and materials.

May 3, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #319 of 4,363
   "Summit-Fi (High-End Audio)"

Isn't "High-End" generally reserved for snobbery and expensively priced equipment that tends to underperform?? .................

To tell you the truth, I doubt that many people will take anything I've said in this topic seriously. They will likely assume that I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about. They probably won't take any of us seriously.

May 3, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #320 of 4,363
  The best alternative to the original velour I have found so far is the HD560 velour pads. Just have to remove the HD560 plastic backing ring and replace it with a HD250/HD540 backing ring, for it to be attachable. This velour earpad has a backing plastic though, that the velour attaches to. This is a reflective face for internal sound reflections and constricts the imaging as the radial spread is reduced as well. I will keep my eye out for an alternative..

In this old thread, post #8 shows the back of the HD540 II and HD560 pads side-by-side, and post #13 shows a 540 ring transplanted into a 560 pad.

Regarding the backing plastic on the HD560 velour mentioned by o0CosmoMemory0o, note in the post #8 photo that the 560 pad has extra plastic around its earhole that's not in the HD540 pad. If you're really careful, you can remove a couple of millimeters of this innermost plastic ring (NOT the mounting ring!) with a Dremel tool, tapering the shape to reduce the sonic effect it has. (If you're not really careful, you'll ruin your HD560 pads.) If you want to make that Dremel mod, for easiest handling I suggest doing it after you remove the HD560 mounting ring, but before you install the HD540 mounting ring.

May 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #321 of 4,363

This picture from that other thread pretty much sums up the issue with the HD560 pads. The plastic face to the inside of the binding ring prevents sound waves moving through the velour from the back, constricting the stereo image noticeably IMO. This pad design is what probably holds back the performance of the HD560 as well.

May 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #322 of 4,363

Isn't "High-End" generally reserved for snobbery and expensively priced equipment that tends to underperform?? .................

To tell you the truth, I doubt that many people will take anything I've said in this topic seriously. They will likely assume that I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about. They probably won't take any of us seriously.

so true... sadly...

May 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #323 of 4,363

I've had that over there because of my preference for older AKGs.

Too many of those guys are either collectors who love everything so long as it costs a grand or are inexperienced listeners who've bought a flagship as their first purchase.

I think it's wiser to keep the thread here for the mood and the exposure.

May 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #324 of 4,363
[...] I think it's wiser to keep the thread here for the mood and the exposure.

100% agree
I was joking.
Leave it in the general equipment forum.
We are not a sect, an esoteric cult  or something.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #325 of 4,363

We are not a sect, an esoteric cult  or something.
biggrin.gif

Sometimes I'm not so sure... 
rolleyes.gif

Many headfiers do exhibit some interesting social behaviours such as
- gullibility
- forming groups that worship specific headphones
- intolerance to others opinions 
- faith in cables
- performing a strange ritual called 'burning-in'
- following their own personal gurus, for example Jude or Tyll
- abiding by a personal religious text, for example 'Battle of the Flagships'
- the belief that their problems can be solved by throwing large sums of money at them
- and occasionally the group seems to attract nutters who claim they have discovered the path to audio-enlightenment or that they have achieved audio-nirvana

OK I'll stop now before I get banned. 
evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #327 of 4,363
I'm enthusiastic about video game music, believe it or not. High fidelity reproduction was simply a means to give my video game soundtracks the transparent and high resolution playback that they deserve. But I use the HD540II to appreciate all music, especially video game scores.

May 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #329 of 4,363
  Sometimes I'm not so sure... 
rolleyes.gif

Many headfiers do exhibit some interesting social behaviours such as
- gullibility
- forming groups that worship specific headphones
- intolerance to others opinions 
- faith in cables
- performing a strange ritual called 'burning-in'
- following their own personal gurus, for example Jude or Tyll
- abiding by a personal religious text, for example 'Battle of the Flagships'
- the belief that their problems can be solved by throwing large sums of money at them
- and occasionally the group seems to attract nutters who claim they have discovered the path to audio-enlightenment or that they have achieved audio-nirvana

OK I'll stop now before I get banned. 
evil_smiley.gif

know what? i have a master in sociology.
not joking, i'm a sociologist.
your statements are pretty relevant.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back