Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #1,471 of 4,351
This pair of 540's came with third party (worn out) pads. It was a pain to remove the rings, once I got them out it was a simple job to slip off the old pads and fit the new pads and foam covers.

They certainly do add some body, I've yet to hear a reduction in soundstage, bass has firmed up without any intrusion into the mid-range.

The 650 cable fits perfectly and add's a little extra warmth and bass, only a tiny amount that does no harm to the signature of the 540's.
Did you buy your cable from Sennheiser, or is it a replacement from elsewhere? No looseness in the pin sockets? I may have to buy a set next year and I'd like to try a set of pads more like the Focus pads on my HifiMAN HE400S - pleather sides and a velour face with a little more depth. The new pads, which I think are the same as yours, are not quite as comfy as the stock pads and I'd simply just like the best of both worlds! :)

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,472 of 4,351
A bog standard Sennheiser HD 650 cable, just order one off Sennheiser, mine cost me £11 including postage. I found it just as good as a Cardas cable that cost 20x more.
I agree with you on the Chinese ear pads, they sound great but not as comfortable as the stock pads. I can live with this, but like you I would like something a little more comfortable.
The Brainwavz pads I have on my Hifiman HE-400i's are one of the most comfortable pads I have used, this is one possible option to achieve that missing comfort with the 540's.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,473 of 4,351
A bog standard Sennheiser HD 650 cable, just order one off Sennheiser, mine cost me £11 including postage. I found it just as good as a Cardas cable that cost 20x more.
I agree with you on the Chinese ear pads, they sound great but as comfortable as the stock pads. I can live with this, but like you I would like something a little more comfortable.
The Brainwavz pads I have on my Hifiman HE-400i's are one of the most comfortable pads I have used, this is one possible option to achieve that missing comfort with the 540's.
Yes indeed, I have very similar pads - the HifiMAN Focus pads - on my HE400S and they are the goods all right. Most of the Brainwavz pads on eBay won't be sent to OZ, so I've had to search around some more and discovered that some of the DT880 Brainwavz pads will fit onto the HD540s and I may be able to get some here. I have to say though, especially with the Amperex tubes in the Valhalla 2, that the Chinese pads bring an amazing sense of intimacy to proceedings :) There is certainly a lessening of the bright spotlit sense of the stock pads and cable (and to a degree the stock tubes in the V2), as if the house lights have been turned down, yet there is still better focus, detail - despite the lights being turned down :) - a more physical presence. I don't recall ever experiencing such an overall change in perspective like this before. As you say, soundstage appears to be kept intact, though the HD540s won't give a wide stage if there isn't any recorded, as it should be. I'm happy you have had no problems with the HD650 cables slipping from the capsule inputs, good to hear.
For anyone that has a Valhalla 2 for use with the HD540Rs as stock, I can highly recommend replacing the stock input tubes with the Amperex NOS 1968 Orange Globe 6DJ8s, big thanks to Tom from Schiit Audio for the recommendation! They do need 20-30 hours before they start to really come into their own though.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #1,474 of 4,351
I've corrected my typo from the previous post......'they sound great but not as comfortable as the stock pads.'

I'm looking at another pair of 540's (Ref 1) they have the original pads that appear to be in very good condition, if I purchase them I shall experiment between the original pads and the Chinese substitutes.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #1,475 of 4,351
I've corrected my typo from the previous post......'they sound great but not as comfortable as the stock pads.'

I'm looking at another pair of 540's (Ref 1) they have the original pads that appear to be in very good condition, if I purchase them I shall experiment between the original pads and the Chinese substitutes.
Yes I wouldn't mind a second set myself :) Heh heh, yeah, I knew you had made a typo, no one in their right mind could claim the Chinese pads are more comfortable than the most comfy pads around :) I could easily wear the stock HD540s for hours, now - if only I can find some pads with the extra punch and focus of the new pads, with the sheer comfort of the stock velour pads. Still amazing cans, even considering they're over 20 years old. Hmm, I wonder if anyone has some NOS HD540Rs around ....... ?

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #1,476 of 4,351
Hi, i have "restaured" a old pair of HD 540 reference r1 600 ohm. I found on Aliexpress a comfortable and very cheap pads.
They are for DT990 pro but fit perfect also on 540.
The cable is a DIY mogami 2893.
After more 30 years they are still a great headphones. :L3000::smile_phones::L3000:

HwDyDBa.jpg

QZppfyy.jpg

llMiRjs.jpg

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,478 of 4,351
Hi, i have "restaured" a old pair of HD 540 reference r1 600 ohm. I found on Aliexpress a comfortable and very cheap pads.
They are for DT990 pro but fit perfect also on 540.
The cable is a DIY mogami 2893.
After more 30 years they are still a great headphones. :L3000::smile_phones::L3000:

HwDyDBa.jpg

QZppfyy.jpg

llMiRjs.jpg

Well done on your find! So the DT990 Pro pads fit without a problem?

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,480 of 4,351
Yes, they fits well, no problem at all and they costs less than 5$

:darthsmile:
They look like velour pads, is that correct? Yet pleather on the 'inside'? I made a set of Mogami 2983 cables for my own pair of HD540Rs, the cable matches well, much more even than the old original cable!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,481 of 4,351
Yes, they fits well, no problem at all and they costs less than 5$

:darthsmile:
5$? Have yo a link for these? Genuine DT 990 pads are 25 Euros.

They look like velour pads, is that correct? Yet pleather on the 'inside'? I made a set of Mogami 2983 cables for my own pair of HD540Rs, the cable matches well, much more even than the old original cable!

Yes, the DT 990 are velour with a pleather backing. In theory the sound signature should be very close to original Sennheiser pads.
If I can find them at 5$ i'll give them a try!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,482 of 4,351
5$? Have yo a link for these? Genuine DT 990 pads are 25 Euros.

Yes, the DT 990 are velour with a pleather backing. In theory the sound signature sound be vey close to original Sennheiser pads.
If I can find them at 5$ i'll give them a try!
Mmm, might give them a go then, although the shipping time from Aliexpress is very slow, it took two weeks for my Denon pads to get to OZ, AIRMAIL! Still, I'm no in no great hurry, just as well :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #1,483 of 4,351

Users who are viewing this thread

Back