Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Dec 20, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #1,501 of 4,363
o2 Objective amp - By far one of the most neutral & highly regarded amps ever made. Also very affordable at around $100
Ive finally just got round to buying on as its been on my radar for months and I have been super impressed. They have a really nice synergy with the 540's
In fact they have a surprisingly good synergy with 99% of all headphones, especially the older 600 oHm ones
If you go to their site & check the reviews here you'll soon see how highly this amp is regarded :)
EDIT: sorry, missed the usb part - there is also an o2 amp/dac combo. bit more expensive but all I mentioned above is still 100% valid!

That's awesome, thanks for the very quick response. I'm on the 300 ohm Ref ii's, but I'd imagine the same still applies. Are the Massdrop deals okay do you know?

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #1,502 of 4,363
That's awesome, thanks for the very quick response. I'm on the 300 ohm Ref ii's, but I'd imagine the same still applies. Are the Massdrop deals okay do you know?
Absolutely - The amp itself is kind of an essential bit of kit for the 'serious' headphone listener. Ive yet to find a headphone / IEM that dont work superbly with it. The o2 doesnt colour the sound AT ALL so the headphone you are using shines to its best and fullest potentiaI. Not a hugely common offering with headphone amps! I also have an older Little dot 1+ tube amp which is also great for that warm sweet amp sound. Superb amp but unlike the o2 some headphones it doesn't quite drive to their fullest potential
Massdrop is good, I used it myself in the past but for something this inexpensive I think you are better off going through JBL labs o2 Amp build - They are an American company that offers great support, fast shipping and only use well sourced American parts. I think the Massdrop is a completely Chinese build.
I should add others may suggest other amps. It depends on what you are looking for with your sound. personally I strive for [as far as possible] a perfect/pure/reference sound with a well tuned / made headphone matched with an amp that wont colour the sound (tube amps being an exception!) If you are looking for a neutral set up that gives as close as possible a true to sound audio then The HD540 is about as good as it gets for the headphone. By all accounts the o2 will not detract from the qualities the 540 offers!

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #1,503 of 4,363
I've ordered a set of the DT990 pads, looking forward to their arrival! Oughta be fun. Looking at getting a set of the HD650 cables as well, though heck, they might turn out to be no better than my Mogami 2983's :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,504 of 4,363
Absolutely - The amp itself is kind of an essential bit of kit for the 'serious' headphone listener. Ive yet to find a headphone / IEM that dont work superbly with it. The o2 doesnt colour the sound AT ALL so the headphone you are using shines to its best and fullest potentiaI. Not a hugely common offering with headphone amps! I also have an older Little dot 1+ tube amp which is also great for that warm sweet amp sound. Superb amp but unlike the o2 some headphones it doesn't quite drive to their fullest potential
Massdrop is good, I used it myself in the past but for something this inexpensive I think you are better off going through JBL labs o2 Amp build - They are an American company that offers great support, fast shipping and only use well sourced American parts. I think the Massdrop is a completely Chinese build.
I should add others may suggest other amps. It depends on what you are looking for with your sound. personally I strive for [as far as possible] a perfect/pure/reference sound with a well tuned / made headphone matched with an amp that wont colour the sound (tube amps being an exception!) If you are looking for a neutral set up that gives as close as possible a true to sound audio then The HD540 is about as good as it gets for the headphone. By all accounts the o2 will not detract from the qualities the 540 offers!

I think this sounds exactly like what I'd want. Incidentally, do you think just using the output from the computer into the 3.5mm of an O2 headphone amp would be fine, or should I be using a dedicated DAC? I'm pretty new to all this stuff!

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,505 of 4,363
I think this sounds exactly like what I'd want. Incidentally, do you think just using the output from the computer into the 3.5mm of an O2 headphone amp would be fine, or should I be using a dedicated DAC? I'm pretty new to all this stuff!

You 'can' use the mini jack output of your computer however you would be hearing / amping the sound of your PC sound card which are not usually particularly good + you could also pick up a lot of computer noises
For a PC you really need to take an output that negates this such as via a USB to a DAC . . . which I think you already were looking at
You might like to look to portable DAC's in the future to run your music from.
You can't go wrong with the iBasso DX80 for example. not cheap but you get a player that gives a LOT more than the price - Really nice company as well. Great customer support.
There are of course many DAC's. Im sure others will offer their own suggestions
Part of the fun of this hobby is learning as you go along and refining / narrowing in on your own personal tastes and wishes in terms of quality, sound types etc.
Ive found over the years that what I find important in my equipment / headphones changes. As I go on I often buy gear/headphones and then if Im not satisfied sell them on eBay. I often loose a small amount of money doing this but its a great way to learn from direct experience
Just take your time researching. This forum is an amazing place of helpful & kind enthusiasts
Basically, enjoy the journey:)

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,506 of 4,363

If your budget will stretch to it then you might want to consider a Chord Mojo, this is a combined headphone amp/Dac. The reviewers rave about them. I tried one out a short while ago, quite impressive, and scales very well with more expensive cans.
I preferred my Pan Am headphone amp/Dac so I sold the Mojo, but there is not a lot to pick between them.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,507 of 4,363
.......Looking at getting a set of the HD650 cables as well, though heck, they might turn out to be no better than my Mogami 2983's :)

You might be pleasantly surprised. If not, at least the Senn' cable is cheap as chips so it's not a bank breaker! :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #1,508 of 4,363
If your budget will stretch to it then you might want to consider a Chord Mojo, this is a combined headphone amp/Dac. The reviewers rave about them. I tried one out a short while ago, quite impressive, and scales very well with more expensive cans.
I preferred my Pan Am headphone amp/Dac so I sold the Mojo, but there is not a lot to pick between them.

I use a Chord Mojo with my 540s 300ohm and they sound fantastic. It's tiny but definitely has the power. In fact it's also good enough for the older 430s 600ohm. Though with 600 ohms the sound isn't as full sounding compared to using a more powerful amp. No audible hiss with either headphones.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,509 of 4,363
I use a Chord Mojo with my 540s 300ohm and they sound fantastic. It's tiny but definitely has the power. In fact it's also good enough for the older 430s 600ohm. Though with 600 ohms the sound isn't as full sounding compared to using a more powerful amp. No audible hiss with either headphones.

That might be the Mojo's (only?) weakness, others have said that it can run out of gas with certain cans........Still a first class piece of kit though.:)

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,510 of 4,363
You 'can' use the mini jack output of your computer however you would be hearing / amping the sound of your PC sound card which are not usually particularly good + you could also pick up a lot of computer noises
For a PC you really need to take an output that negates this such as via a USB to a DAC . . . which I think you already were looking at
You might like to look to portable DAC's in the future to run your music from.
You can't go wrong with the iBasso DX80 for example. not cheap but you get a player that gives a LOT more than the price - Really nice company as well. Great customer support.
There are of course many DAC's. Im sure others will offer their own suggestions
Part of the fun of this hobby is learning as you go along and refining / narrowing in on your own personal tastes and wishes in terms of quality, sound types etc.
Ive found over the years that what I find important in my equipment / headphones changes. As I go on I often buy gear/headphones and then if Im not satisfied sell them on eBay. I often loose a small amount of money doing this but its a great way to learn from direct experience
Just take your time researching. This forum is an amazing place of helpful & kind enthusiasts
Basically, enjoy the journey:)

"This forum is an amazing place of helpful & kind enthusiasts". That's certainly evident just from recent posts on this thread. Appreciate the advice from all of you!

Jan 1, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #1,511 of 4,363
Dont know if I can add much to the general notion of the thread that (1) the HD540 remains a stellar peformer shaming most every other headphone in terms of accuracy and neurality and (2) finding proper replacement pads are a real PITA. Or maybe I can ...

My history with the HD540 goes back to when I bought a slightly grotty pair of Ref I Golds about two, two and half years ago. At the time I recall finding their performance quite good but when the opportunity came to buy a lightly used K1000 the HD540 was foolishly sold to partially fund the AKG flagship purchase. I wrote about regretting the sale on a local forum and promptly received a PM from a forumite who offered me a similar pair as a gift - he was gifted this pair before but did not use it and did not feel comfortable to sell it on. So thanks to a very kind gentleman I am now once again he owner of a pair of HD540 Reference I Golds ... well two pairs to be more precise.

The pair I was gifted was in exceptional condition, save for rotted earcup liners, fairly bad original earpads (pleather peeled but in tact otherwise), and a crappy cable patched togerther from a well-used HD800 cable and HD540 connectors. The wooden box is blemish free and it came complete with manual and certificate showing serial number 16381. This would place this unit in the last year of two of Ref I production.

And, once cleaned up and having replaced the cable with a spare HD600 one, the sound is absolutely incredible - even better than I remember (maybe better sources and amps added since playes a role here). Listening now with better trained ears and better electronics I am even more impressed by just how good and neutral these cans are. Now I can compare them to a host of other former flagships I collected and I am amazed how well it stacks up against HD600 (no steely upper mid colouration, better timbre), HD650 (no veil, much better dynamic impact, better focus and imaging), HD800 (similar detail and speed, no nasty treble, imaging and focus almost on par), de-fazored late-model LCD2 (massively more comfortable, more detailed, more focused, more neutral), T1 (more even treble, better focus, better timbre) and K1000 (imaging not quite as good, better bass impact, looks a hellavu lot better).

From a good solid state amp (SPL Phonitor, Perreaux SXH2, Matrix HPA-3B, Headroom BUDA) they sound so real and tactile that it is hard to believe these cans are almost 30 years old. And from a custom OTL SET valve amp the sound becomes a religious experience. So impressed I were with what I heard that I tracked down and bought the only other pair on the local market - a new old-stock 540 Reference I Gold with serial number 16486. This pair is in unused condition, with completely untarnished and patina-free gold 1/4" plug that was fitted as standard in our market and headclamp reminiscent of a fresh HD650 or HD600. The earpads had deteriorated over the decades even in the box, and was replaced by new full-velour HD560 pads before the sale.

So what I have now are two pairs of exactly the same model, from the same production run, the one in fine but used condition with worn stock pads and HD600 cable, the other unused with new HD560 pads. Interestingly the used pair sounds better in all respects except for notably light bass response. Which maybe gives credence to the notion that the 540 needs substantial break-in time (my feeling is 50 hours settles most kit nicely). I have since shoe-horned some Hifiman Focus A pads onto this pair, which improved comfort and firmed up the bass nicely but left the rest of the signature in tact.

Listening now to Vanessa Fernandez belting out Led Zepp classics on her When the Levee Breaks album I am once again deeply impressed by the sound quality Sennheiser achieved in the mid 1980's. And as deeply disappointed that they (and other manufacturers) haven't managed to match, let alone improve on it in three decades since.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,512 of 4,363
Dont know if I can add much to the general notion of the thread that (1) the HD540 remains a stellar peformer shaming most every other headphone in terms of accuracy and neurality and (2) finding proper replacement pads are a real PITA. Or maybe I can ...

My history with the HD540 goes back to when I bought a slightly grotty pair of Ref I Golds about two, two and half years ago. At the time I recall finding their performance quite good but when the opportunity came to buy a lightly used K1000 the HD540 was foolishly sold to partially fund the AKG flagship purchase. I wrote about regretting the sale on a local forum and promptly received a PM from a forumite who offered me a similar pair as a gift - he was gifted this pair before but did not use it and did not feel comfortable to sell it on. So thanks to a very kind gentleman I am now once again he owner of a pair of HD540 Reference I Golds ... well two pairs to be more precise.

The pair I was gifted was in exceptional condition, save for rotted earcup liners, fairly bad original earpads (pleather peeled but in tact otherwise), and a crappy cable patched togerther from a well-used HD800 cable and HD540 connectors. The wooden box is blemish free and it came complete with manual and certificate showing serial number 16381. This would place this unit in the last year of two of Ref I production.

And, once cleaned up and having replaced the cable with a spare HD600 one, the sound is absolutely incredible - even better than I remember (maybe better sources and amps added since playes a role here). Listening now with better trained ears and better electronics I am even more impressed by just how good and neutral these cans are. Now I can compare them to a host of other former flagships I collected and I am amazed how well it stacks up against HD600 (no steely upper mid colouration, better timbre), HD650 (no veil, much better dynamic impact, better focus and imaging), HD800 (similar detail and speed, no nasty treble, imaging and focus almost on par), de-fazored late-model LCD2 (massively more comfortable, more detailed, more focused, more neutral), T1 (more even treble, better focus, better timbre) and K1000 (imaging not quite as good, better bass impact, looks a hellavu lot better).

From a good solid state amp (SPL Phonitor, Perreaux SXH2, Matrix HPA-3B, Headroom BUDA) they sound so real and tactile that it is hard to believe these cans are almost 30 years old. And from a custom OTL SET valve amp the sound becomes a religious experience. So impressed I were with what I heard that I tracked down and bought the only other pair on the local market - a new old-stock 540 Reference I Gold with serial number 16486. This pair is in unused condition, with completely untarnished and patina-free gold 1/4" plug that was fitted as standard in our market and headclamp reminiscent of a fresh HD650 or HD600. The earpads had deteriorated over the decades even in the box, and was replaced by new full-velour HD560 pads before the sale.

So what I have now are two pairs of exactly the same model, from the same production run, the one in fine but used condition with worn stock pads and HD600 cable, the other unused with new HD560 pads. Interestingly the used pair sounds better in all respects except for notably light bass response. Which maybe gives credence to the notion that the 540 needs substantial break-in time (my feeling is 50 hours settles most kit nicely). I have since shoe-horned some Hifiman Focus A pads onto this pair, which improved comfort and firmed up the bass nicely but left the rest of the signature in tact.

Listening now to Vanessa Fernandez belting out Led Zepp classics on her When the Levee Breaks album I am once again deeply impressed by the sound quality Sennheiser achieved in the mid 1980's. And as deeply disappointed that they (and other manufacturers) haven't managed to match, let alone improve on it in three decades since.
An excellent story! I too would love a second pair of HD540Rs, my current set has been VERY well used since 1989 and I still love 'em! They just have a musical aliveness that has often evades so many followers since then. I did make an attempt at popping my Focus pads onto the HD540's ear cups but it's nowhere near as successful as the current pleather jobbies and no doubt the new Dekoni DT990 pads which are almost here. I can relate to the "almost religious experience" with an OTL amp. my tube upgraded Valhalla 2 is fabulous with the HD540Rs.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,513 of 4,363
Well, don't things get interesting when you change pads and driver covers around! My new Dekoni DT990 pads arrived today and, like the other nearly new pair (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261338110308), came with a new set of driver covers/inner pads, as in these ones (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repacement-Ear-Pads-For-Beyerdynamic-DT440-DT770-DT790-DT797-DT880-Headphones/322344443901?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649). They are cheap as chips and actually came with everything advertised, the velcro strap and the cleaning cloth, unlike the other pair which did NOT have the accessories advertised.
I popped the new pads and inners on immediately, after warming up the Valhalla 2 and QP1R. Noticeably, the new inners are at least 50% thinner than the 'old' ones. I think the ear openings in the pads are a little smaller and tighter than the original stock and extremely comfortable pads, they're fine though. I like that the inners are thinner.
With both together, the sound has certainly changed. The really full and intimate solidity of the HD250 pleather pads has gone, to be replaced with a balance more like the original stock pads, but a little fuller in balance, no bad thing in my book anyway. Vocal focus tightened up and lightened in tone a little as well. Bass is NOT as focused and, disturbingly to me, has lost some pace and tautness, definitely not a fast and light as the stock pads, though certainly fuller and weightier in balance. I really love what the HD250 pleather pads bring to the table, though they are a little darker in tonality. As I said, the Dekoni DT990 pads lighten that tone to nearer neutral, yet I wasn't really getting INTO the music in the same way. Diction is good, the wonderful work of art that is Alt-J's 'The Ballad Of John Hurt', from the All This Is Your's album, has many lengthened syllables and the pronunciation of the "s" at the end of "woooods' is easy to hear. The track lacked some pace though, not that's it's a fast piece, just that it seemed as if the whole recording speed had been slowed just a tad, I wasn't entranced, as I most certainly should be. Same for "Within" from Random Access Memories and with faster beats the bass lacked the sheer solid weight I am used to. With the HD250 pleather pads and their thicker inners, I am in love with the music, intimate, close, entranced. A little weird maybe, but there you go.
So, I have now decided that I am going to use the thinner new inner pads with the pleather ear pads and see what happens, I will keep you posted! I suspect a nearer perfect balance, but we shall see :)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,514 of 4,363
Well, don't things get interesting when you change pads and driver covers around! My new Dekoni DT990 pads arrived today and, like the other nearly new pair (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261338110308), came with a new set of driver covers/inner pads, as in these ones (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Repacement-Ear-Pads-For-Beyerdynamic-DT440-DT770-DT790-DT797-DT880-Headphones/322344443901?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649). They are cheap as chips and actually came with everything advertised, the velcro strap and the cleaning cloth, unlike the other pair which did NOT have the accessories advertised.
I popped the new pads and inners on immediately, after warming up the Valhalla 2 and QP1R. Noticeably, the new inners are at least 50% thinner than the 'old' ones. I think the ear openings in the pads are a little smaller and tighter than the original stock and extremely comfortable pads, they're fine though. I like that the inners are thinner.
With both together, the sound has certainly changed. The really full and intimate solidity of the HD250 pleather pads has gone, to be replaced with a balance more like the original stock pads, but a little fuller in balance, no bad thing in my book anyway. Vocal focus tightened up and lightened in tone a little as well. Bass is NOT as focused and, disturbingly to me, has lost some pace and tautness, definitely not a fast and light as the stock pads, though certainly fuller and weightier in balance. I really love what the HD250 pleather pads bring to the table, though they are a little darker in tonality. As I said, the Dekoni DT990 pads lighten that tone to nearer neutral, yet I wasn't really getting INTO the music in the same way. Diction is good, the wonderful work of art that is Alt-J's 'The Ballad Of John Hurt', from the All This Is Your's album, has many lengthened syllables and the pronunciation of the "s" at the end of "woooods' is easy to hear. The track lacked some pace though, not that's it's a fast piece, just that it seemed as if the whole recording speed had been slowed just a tad, I wasn't entranced, as I most certainly should be. Same for "Within" from Random Access Memories and with faster beats the bass lacked the sheer solid weight I am used to. With the HD250 pleather pads and their thicker inners, I am in love with the music, intimate, close, entranced. A little weird maybe, but there you go.
So, I have now decided that I am going to use the thinner new inner pads with the pleather ear pads and see what happens, I will keep you posted! I suspect a nearer perfect balance, but we shall see :)
Wow! YES YES YES! THIS is the combo! Instantly the timing comes back to music, the body sways and taps and sings immediately. Those DT990 velour pads really slugged the music for me, they are fine from the mids on up and that's quite likely at least equal parts to do with the thinner inner pads too, because those benefits have come to balance the pleather HD250 pads to perfection ... or as good as I am more than happy to accept right now. The darker tonality of the thick inners has now gone and come into a beautiful balance, clear, articulate, open and detailed. I played the same tracks as before and because I was so happy with what I was hearing and absorbed in, added a couple more as well. In fact, I've now heard a whole new backing vocal in The Hunger Of The Pines (also from Alt-J's ATIY) previously not noticed before, the French phrase that is sung towards the end of the track by Joe, is also sung as a very quiet backing line behind other lyrics earlier in the track. Snare drum and vibes are resonant and open in ambient space. Within, from Random Access Memories is now far more engaging, bass is deep, clean and open with a gorgeous thump, yet has space and depth AND a wider stage than with the velour pads. The slight angst of the questioner is emotionally heard and the tonal texture of the electronically manipulated voice is obvious.
This clarity opens up the whole sound stage for everything, the following tracks, such as Instant Crush and Lose Yourself To Dance have weight AND timing, vocals are easy to follow and immediately communicative. The transformation of these tracks alone is quite something to hear and I'm very excited about it, the Valhalla 2 and HD540R's will get quite a workout today!

An update a couple of hours later: wow! The HD540R's have always been the only headphone that truly has me feeling that I have no skull, just space filled with music, not the HD650s, HifiMAN HE400s, and any of the Denon AH-Dxx series or any other I have yet heard. Now we're back there, in skull-less land. I've never before enjoyed Neil Young's Sleeps With Angels album like I've just heard it. The focused slam of the kick drum, picks sliding off guitar strings, musical threads I've not understood before and that always wonderful PRaT. These cans are amazing with a good tube amp! Especially an OTL one. No nasty sharp vocals - unless the compression is horrendous - though any compression is obvious if it's used, I can listen right through it with no discomfort, the blessing of really good tubes too, no doubt. SUPERB tonal detail throughout. The live version of The Ballad Of John Hurt, off Alt-J - Live At Red Rocks, is sublime, so alive and detailed and is even more delicious in some ways than the studio cut. So easy to pick out individual voices when the audience is singing to Matilda. Alt-J has become even more of a favourite band than ever, after seeing them live in Brisbane, Australia, last month. It was almost a religious experience in the best possible way, very uplifting. Stunning light show as well!
These truly wonderful headphones may not have quite the micro-detailing of the best out there - or even my HifiMAN HE400s in a few small ways, but they're still up there with the lightest, most balanced tonally, energising, joyous to listen to headphones out there, with superb timing and they're very comfortable to boot. They need better than stock cables and superior pads to be at their very best, but these are cheap upgrades and easy to find ... and yet, as several of us HD540R fans have noted, these are 29/30 years old!! And still going strong and better than ever.
Well, after today's experiences, I now at least have a spare pair of velour pads in case they're needed one day. I've discovered the best pads I've heard yet are even better now in combination with thinner inner driver covers AND the thinner inners give my ears more space by at least a couple of mm, so I feel even more comfy wearing them while having a soundstage with more air and width.
An extremely happy Sennheiser HD540R fan!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #1,515 of 4,363

Good post. You do realise that some readers will be green with envy that you not only own the rare 'Gold' model, you own two pairs!
Some members are still trying to source a standard pair of 540's, never mind a Gold pair! You are a very fortunate man, it is your moral duty to sell one of your Gold sets on to a fellow enthusiast. :)

Like you I now own two pairs of 540 Gold, a 300 Ohm pair, and a 600 Ohm pair. Both pairs are in excellent condition, the 600 Ohm pair are boxed with original cable, ear pads, handbook and certificate.
The 300 Ohm pair have their original pads and a replacement cable, they do not have their box and paperwork. The 600 Ohm pair have a 014xxx serial number, the 300 Ohm pair a 018xxx serial number.

Both pairs sound fantastic, but I think i'll be offering the 300 Ohm pair for sale shortly, along with my standard pair of 600 Ohm 540 Ref 1's, i'll just keep the 600 Ohm Golds.

I'm hoping to take some photos next week of both pairs to show the differences between them, i'll post the photos when I get the time.

As a footnote, the original inner driver covers had rotted away on both pairs of Gold, on my 600 Ohm pair I have fitted the covers from my (now dead) Sennheiser HD 580 cans, a perfect fit and a perfect match.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back