Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Oct 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #766 of 4,363
Cosmomemory, i saw your youtube video of your collection and noticed something.  I was using the silver sennheiser headphone end adapter from 3.5mm to 6.35mm, didn't like the sound as much.  When I got one of the sennheiser adapters that was copper/gold color I noticed a more interesting change to the sound.  This is when I started to understand what you meant by the timbre/tonality of the sound seeming more real.   I'd guess that when you got the timbre/tonality correct, you could focus on the earpads and the foam being to the specifications you desired.  I'm glad you did that video, very helpful for me.  I noticed that your graham blitzie dac has burr brown audio codec.  Does that mean it is using a Texas Instruments/Burr Brown dac or just the audio codec?  I know the analog stage output with circuitry and capacitors matter but I feel like a DAC does matter as well.  I read that the Graham amp you have goes for a more tube like sound in a solid state headphone amplifier.  Do you think the HD-540 are better fit for a tube like sound over solid state?  Just curious on your thoughts since you seem to have a big interest in HD-540s in a way i've never seen before.  Glad this thread went as long as it has, so people could find it and learn.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #767 of 4,363
Graham Slee products are the only amplifiers that I have used with the HD540II. Like the HD540II, their neutrality and musicality are flawless. I have no criticism of their performance whatsoever. They absolutely nail it and fully justify their retail prices. Equipment for the music lover; forget audio specifications. Specs ultimately don't matter for the listener; they're only significant for the engineer. Any music listener who isn't happy with 16-bit, 44.1kHz well-mastered music with analogue musicality is never going to be satisfied with anything...

I like the HD540II most with the following:

-Firm velvet earpads with a large opening and no backing plastic, which don't compress too much when worn. Provides a little distance between ear and driver and allows for more enclosed air around the ear, improving music spatiality. No plastic backing allows a more natural radial sonic dispersion IMO.

-Thin foam discs to keep down treble energy at higher volumes for fatigue-free reproduction. I also put thin cloth underneath it to cover the driver so that the foam doesn't end up rotting directly onto the driver when it ages.

-A fairly soft clamping force of the headband. Ideally the headband shouldn't be forcing the earpads to touch each other when the headphone is not being worn. If so, it may need to be stretched out a little bit using hands and hairdryer so that excessive clamping doesn't bring the drivers too close to the ear and also increase acoustic seal slightly, which would otherwise confine the stereo image space.

-I prefer the oxygen-free copper cable for its improved flexibility and reduced microphonic vibration against a steel-litz cable. The more elastic OFC cable seems more durable too and I feel the treble is more natural with OFC, with less tendency for treble distortion or emphasis.

The HD540II is no longer my primary reference headphone though; they are my secondary reference now. My current primary reference headphone is the AKG K1000. After using the K1000, I don't really care about headphones anymore. My obsession with headphones arose, not because of a love for headphones, but because of a desire to listen to music without acoustic coloration from the listening room. I could never get a performance from speakers in my room that I was satisfied with; there was always frequency emphasis, especially in the bass/upper bass region.

My obsession with headphones was to try and get as close to speakers as possible, but without the room interaction. But even the HD540II stereo image does not leave the inside of the head (except with binaural recordings, which it then does leave the confines of the head). Instead, headphones like the HD540II make the inside of the head feel enormously spacious and the music is free to excel within that vast, yet confined, space due to the exquisite neutrality of the HD540II calibration. HD800 offers several physical sonic improvements over the HD540II (side-by-side comparison makes this quite clear) and demonstrates that the HD540II could be even better than it is. HD800 frequencies seem spot on but its phase calibration doesn't seem entirely faithful to my ears, making for a large, exquisitely neutral yet exquisitely boring presentation.

As I said though, my love of music inspired me to experience it as though listening to speakers in the absence of room behaviour. The AKG K1000 is the closest I have got to this objective so is now my most prized headphone. The HD540II though still remains my most prized conventional-design headphone and whilst it isn't perfect (it has it's limitations), it is incredibly enjoyable and I would never want to be without it in my inventory.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #768 of 4,363
I understand, I saw your video of your prestigious collection of headphones.  Never heard the AKG 1000 but i'm sure they are something to be amazed by in terms of soundstage and musicality.  I think HD-800 is preferred with tube headphone amplifiers for the phase reason you mentioned but I can't be sure myself if that is accurate.  What did you think of electrostatic headphones in terms of soundstage?

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #769 of 4,363
With an optimum driving configuration, the HD800 would beat the HD540II quite easily. But it needs something to correct its phase to bring it back into full focus and bring out its musicality. I'm certainly not anti-HD800; it is a very important stage in headphone development.

Now if Sennheiser were to manufacture a headphone that unites the positive design aspects of both HD540II and HD800 and they were to calibrate it correctly, THAT would be an incredible headphone.

I have not listened to any electrostatic headphones. Although I can tell just by looking at designs like the Stax SR-009, it won't throw a stereo image as well as the K1000 because it has pads and doesn't allow the driver interaural crosstalk required for binaural perception (won't sound as 3-D). The resolution and sonic magnification will probably be improved but that's not what enjoying music is all about.

I'm not buying any other designs now. I'm sick of buying headphones and need to sell some. The only headphones I may buy in the future are HD540IIs (for restoration) and K1000s.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #770 of 4,363
I've been using an original pair of HD540 Reference, that I bought new in the '80s with the Audioengine D1, on my computer. The pads had rotted, and were replaced several years ago. They are still in very good shape. I've been very pleasantly surprised by the sound, and the comfort has always been excellent. The soundstage is wide, and appropriate, and the sound is never muddy or too sharp. All in all, after reading the reviews here, and spending well under $200 for the D1, I am really no longer in the market for the HD580 that I considering looking for, as they have been discontinued. As most of you know, they are basically HD600's, and from the reviews will not offer me enough to make the change worthwhile. I'm a happy camper, and my favorite operas an d singers sound marvelous, while I'm working on the computer. And, I'm well ahead in the money spent, which is always a good thing. Thanks guys, for some very perceptive thoughts. If I did find a pair on the Reference II's, I'd probably be tempted. I am going to pick up another set of the HD250 Linear II pads, which someone helpfully mentioned fit perfectly, as I will need them over time. A very satisfactory introduction to a website. I'll look forward to browsing, and learning.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #772 of 4,363

As I said though, my love of music inspired me to experience it as though listening to speakers in the absence of room behaviour. The AKG K1000 is the closest I have got to this objective so is now my most prized headphone. The HD540II though still remains my most prized conventional-design headphone and whilst it isn't perfect (it has it's limitations), it is incredibly enjoyable and I would never want to be without it in my inventory.

As a former owner of the AKG K1000 and current owner of several HD540II, I can appreciate your opinion of the K1000. I agree that its sound is in a league of its own, but I just couldn't get over the physical unwieldiness wearing them while doing anything other than sitting perfectly still and listening. I've owned many high end headphones over the years, and for me, the HD540II remains the best combination of sound quality and wearing comfort, despite being relatively low priced.

Congratulations on achieving your personal headphone satisfaction, and may you never again be struck by upgrade-itis...

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #773 of 4,363
There is nothing to upgrade to from here, in my opinion. HD800 is not an upgrade to either, overall, not for enjoying music anyway.

And I do agree that the HD540II is probably the most convenient high resolution headphone that has ever been made. It has several advantages over the K1000 including snap-together construction, better appearance, less sound leakage, easier to clean, removable cable and more. The K1000 is for when I'm at home with my Graham Slee Proprius monoblocks and want an even more natural and spatial listening experience. HD540II has a better price-to-performance ratio than the K1000 because the K1000 typically costs so much more.

I've been sorting my best condition HD540II parts today and will shortly have five that look brand-new. Just decided to gut out my last three pairs of original velour pads. I originally thought they were firm enough but after seeing and feeling the result of my new foam in the other pads, they compressed too easily and need to be re-foamed. I will stretch out the bands a little too. After that, I'm just selecting which driver pairs to keep then the remaining parts will be used to construct my units that will be sold. I had a little listen to a couple of my almost-restored HD540IIs earlier and they show signs of spectacular performance. With the original boxes and accessories, they look like they've just been picked up off the production line. Really pleased.

Gotta cut 8 doughnut foams now; three pairs for my gutted pads and one pair for a US customer who wants to restore his pads. I will have to write some notes on here so that he knows what exactly to do.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #774 of 4,363
I looked further into headphone cables associated with HD-540s and other similar headphones in the sennheiser lineup.  I found information such as this which gets confusing about the headphone cables throughout the years.

For HD 400 series (except HD435, HD 445, HD 455, HD 465, HD475, HD477 and HD 497), HD 250, HD 520, HD 530, HD 540 and HD 560 (oxygen-free copper):

48798Moulded 6.35mm A-gauge 3 pole jack plug, 3 metres.
37974Moulded 3.5mm 3 pole jack plug, 3 metres.
37974/OFCMoulded 3.5mm 3 pole jack plug with adapter to 6.35mm A-gauge 3 pole jack plug, 3 metres
37974BSFNeutrik B-gauge jack plug (blue cover), wired split-feed, 3 metres.
37974BSSwitchcraft B-gauge jack plug (black cover), wired stereo, 3 metres
37974ASNeutrik A-gauge jack plug, wired stereo, 3 metres
37974BEBare ends, 3 metres.

For HD 400 series (except HD435, HD 445, HD 455, HD 465, HD475, HD477 and HD 497),HD 250, HD 520, HD 530, HD 540 and HD 560 (Kevlar reinforced copper unless stated otherwise)

54-167Moulded 3.5mm 3 pole jack plug with adapter to 6.35mm A-gauge 3 pole jack plug, 3 metres
54-042Neutrik B-gauge jack plug (blue cover), wired split-feed, 3 metres (steel)
54-043Switchcraft B-gauge jack plug (black cover), wired stereo, 3 metres
54-044Neutrik A-gauge jack plug, wired stereo, 3 metres
54-0403.5mm 3 pole jack plug, wired stereo, 3 metres
69427 Moulded 3.5mm 3 pole jack plug with adapter to 6.35mm A-gauge 3 pole jack plug, 3 metres (steel)

Does this mean that people can get confused by which headphone cable they should get specifically for their HD-540 or other sennheiser vintage headphones that is best?  Seems like a lot of choices and could get scary if you got the wrong matchup.  I do believe with the HD-540 each cable you get may not give a desirable sound signature.  Too bad Sennheiser USA has dropped support for all these headphone cables being carried in their store.  

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #775 of 4,363
I just use this one and I have no trouble.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/54-164_SENNHEISER-SPARE-CABLE-37974-For-HD480-headphones-double-sided-3.5mm-plug

I pair it with a gold-plated 6.35mm adapter, like what you receive with a new HD600. Very secure fit.

As it says, "very lightweight and ideal for studio and broadcast usage". But the Sennheiser HD800 clearly knows better with its long, thick, fabric-sheathed, heavy/bulky cable... *facepalm* ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #776 of 4,363
The topic title are the exact words I was looking for. How convenient. Having crawled through another ten headphones in recent time it's freaking amazing how the 540 does it "all" better. What a gem, what a gem :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #777 of 4,363
The topic title are the exact words I was looking for. How convenient. Having crawled through another ten headphones in recent time it's freaking amazing how the 540 does it "all" better. What a gem, what a gem
smily_headphones1.gif

Truer words.... I bought mine shortly after they were released, and aside from replacing the pads, they have served me well for a long time. I recently enhanced them, and improved my computer listening, by using them with an Audioengine D1. I also plugged my AE A2's in the D1, using the RCA jacks, and it's covenient, with great sound from either phones or speakers, and just the D1 volume to adjust.

Harry

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #778 of 4,363
I'm glad that there are other enthusiasts for this headphone. I will soon be posting up some instructions on how I clean and re-foam my velour pads, for anyone who wishes to try a DIY restoration. It is well worth the perseverance, I promise you.

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #779 of 4,363

Quote:
  I'm glad that there are other enthusiasts for this headphone. I will soon be posting up some instructions on how I clean and re-foam my velour pads, for anyone who wishes to try a DIY restoration. It is well worth the perseverance, I promise you.

I'm certain that I'm not the only one looking forward to your clean/refoam instructions. Although I did replace the pads several years ago, it's just a matter of time before they will suffer from the gradual breakdown of the foam. Next time I'll be prepared....

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #780 of 4,363
Every velour pad pair that I've dismantled has been degraded inside (even my three best pairs), although some much more so than others. This degraded material retains the odour of use even if the outer velvet material looks clean and hasn't lost its dark black colour. The original foam compresses quite easily, even when like-new, so this prevents the listener getting an optimal ear-to-driver distance. The grey foam stock I bought several weeks ago is a bit firmer yet still open enough so that it doesn't completely box the sound into the listening enclosures. Still got three or four foams left to cut. I prefer to not rush cutting them then I typically get a better looking finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back