Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Feb 1, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #2,536 of 4,355
The single ended connector is the Mogami cable for the Sony MDR-1R headphones, the other one is for the HD540s and here below should be the two pin connector :) I used thinner heatshrink over the solder joins and a glue-shrink over the cable and connector for strength. Funny how the pictures, once uploaded, are nowhere near as sharp as the original, but they'll do for show purposes.

Ok cool, looks like I have the same connectors are you. Did you have to trim the plastic by any chance? When I plug the connectors in, it's kinda loose. Kind of like something is preventing the pins from going in all the way. Although, they go in snug on my HD430.

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #2,537 of 4,355
Ok cool, looks like I have the same connectors are you. Did you have to trim the plastic by any chance? When I plug the connectors in, it's kinda loose. Kind of like something is preventing the pins from going in all the way. Although, they go in snug on my HD430.
Yes, I had to trim them gently, fortunately they are made of quite soft plastic, so you can take off a tiny bit at a time. It's more of a width issue than depth, I don't recall ever having to 'lengthen' the pins, but you could measure them against an original cable if you have one.

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,538 of 4,355
To continue with the discussion with the new Sheepskin/memory foam pads I found initially with my HD 250 - (that blew me away!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5WVPR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought another pair and have them on my (early 'bass heavy' HD 540's) and again . . . they sound exceptional. They will be remaining on the headphones. I am replete! A rare thing indeed for my ears :)

Open, spacious, amazing separation, perhaps a tiny bit too much energy in the high's but not a problem - but what is extra special, and I also found this aspect on my HD 250's as well - is how deliciously warm and organic low mids such as bass guitar sound.
Hard to explain but they sound SO good...good to where you start to thinking about buying and learning to play a bass guitar :D
They come with thick foams which I replaced thinner foams. I think though for perfection I need to mind a middle ground of not too thick and not too thin foams but by gum we are close!
(just for reference - The above is in relation to being used with low gain - iBasso DX80)

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,539 of 4,355
You guys probably already know this, but it seems the foam inside the pads needs to be angled at the front inner side and outer side (forming a rounded 'dome shape' for the headphone to keep any level of open-separated sound regardless of pad matieral.

It seems any flat square edged pads significantly reduce the space allowed for the midrange to breathe.

Opening up the original velours I just copied the shape of the foam inside and voila the new pads took on a similar sound presentation with a slightly better seal for bass.

Feb 3, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,540 of 4,355
To continue with the discussion with the new Sheepskin/memory foam pads I found initially with my HD 250 - (that blew me away!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5WVPR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought another pair and have them on my (early 'bass heavy' HD 540's) and again . . . they sound exceptional. They will be remaining on the headphones. I am replete! A rare thing indeed for my ears :)

Open, spacious, amazing separation, perhaps a tiny bit too much energy in the high's but not a problem - but what is extra special, and I also found this aspect on my HD 250's as well - is how deliciously warm and organic low mids such as bass guitar sound.
Hard to explain but they sound SO good...good to where you start to thinking about buying and learning to play a bass guitar :D
They come with thick foams which I replaced thinner foams. I think though for perfection I need to mind a middle ground of not too thick and not too thin foams but by gum we are close!
(just for reference - The above is in relation to being used with low gain - iBasso DX80)
Good job! And precisely why I chose the thinner foams that came with the DT880 velour pads rather than the original much thicker foams that came with the pleathers. Balance. So, it's the DT880 foams combined with eBay 'wang's' pleather pads for me. I too am so happy with this system that I'm not really looking for anything else.The foams that came with the HD430's are thinner again, but I'm not really tempted, I have absolutely no issues with any form of peaky brightness or edge whatsoever, as even when a recording may be a bit 'hot', it's so easy to tell that that is what has occurred and that it's definitely not a peak in the headphone's response.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2,541 of 4,355
BTW - I have a set of 3 pads for the Senns for sale
1x Grey HD 560 Ovation Pads
1x High quality pleather memory foam pads (same company as made the above)
1x HD 440 pads
On UK eBay > Sennheiser HD 540 Pads <

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #2,543 of 4,355
Are those leather pads the ones from Amazon as listed for the AKG?
No, but they are similar in every way except they re slightly thinner
Im as sure as I can be that they are they are the same company. They look & feel identical. I used them on the HD 540 with a similar sound - great low mids & a superb 3D enhancement in the 3G imaging

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #2,544 of 4,355
No, but they are similar in every way except they re slightly thinner
Im as sure as I can be that they are they are the same company. They look & feel identical. I used them on the HD 540 with a similar sound - great low mids & a superb 3D enhancement in the 3G imaging
And how do they differ soundwise from those amazon AKG pads.

Also, how do they compare to the grey 560 pads?

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #2,546 of 4,355
And how do they differ soundwise from those amazon AKG pads.

Also, how do they compare to the grey 560 pads?

They [were] similar in most ways but I think the sheepskin beat them in the low mid richness and addictive bass, especially with bass guitar, cello etc etc
The grey pads are more soft sweet and perhaps more true to the feel and original intent of the HD 540 sound - more reference maybe?
I have 2 540's - 1 with the sheepskin and one with the grey pads. They both excell and push forward the different qualities that this headphone can offer
The velour gives more sweet, soft and the sheepskin gives more 3d Holographic and rich low end :)

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #2,547 of 4,355
Eeeek i thought the AKG ones were the magic solution :p so i can end this pad swap madness.

They still are! - I have 2 pairs of the AKG SHEEPSKIN pads - One on the 250 and one on the 540
I sold the same make but with a different skin. Similar to the sheepskin!

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,548 of 4,355
Hey Guys - as this multiyear / 170 Page Thread made me really curious about these vintage headphones I bought a 540 Reference II from a classified ad. Wow. Thanks everyone who contributed to this awesome thread. I enjoy my 540's very much. Classical Music, Jazz, Bluesrock - all sounds fantastic and involving. I am by no means a headfi pro, as I rarely listened to music with headphones before the kids came. So I'll spare you descriptions. Idk I always look for a natural sound with lots of space and seperation for all instruments / singers involved in the music. Perfect match this HD540 for me.

Running them in a Musical Fidelity MX-Dac, Aries Mini, Schiit Vali 2 chain. Perfect fit for me.

Well - the first step down the rabbit hole has been taken. First thing I'll definitely have to experiment with is pads. While they look fantastic on the outside the foam inside is pretty much thinned out. No idea of course how dense / thick these are originally?

I condensed a short list from the several pages / posts concerning replacements. I didn't note the 430 as the overall opinion seems to be they change the sound to the worse. Here is what I gathered:

Brainwavz

1Wwnurc.png

FeyJen AKG 240 Pads

S0blrRV.png

560 Replacements

P8OxK06.png

wang_yifei pads (pleather or velours)

WSR3Tx0.png

From the different descriptions I guess I'll give the wang_yifei and the Feyien Pads a shot. Those linked in the images are the ones referenced right? Thanks! :)

Did I miss an important option (outside of DIY)?

Also my listening place is unfortunately a bit far away from the amp, so a longer cable is needed. Any suggestions? 3M will do just fine.

Again: thanks for all the posts, trials and findings etc.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #2,550 of 4,355
Actually, the wang_yifei pads are probably these ones here...

OhwNWP7.png
People here don't generally recommend the Brainwavz Hybrid pads, but the Sheepskin ones.

Yes, those are them. I also like those pads the most with a thin foam disk placed between them, gives them a bit more liquidity and natural tonality to the sound, while the tonal balance stays the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back