Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Mar 1, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,757 of 4,363
Aren’t the 990’s more V shaped? Or is that only the newer variants?

Both the newer 990's and 880's are nothing like the 1980's versions - I wouldn't touch the newer ones! :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #1,758 of 4,363
Just one more question. Are the ear pads attached directly to the ear cups like present day Beyers, or is there a separate ring assembly like the Senn's?

They go round a lip - I had a similar sized new velour pads to the pleather ones that they came with (which you can still buy!)
The velours suit them really well
There is also another pad that I bought a while back that apparently works perfectly with the 990's - that is from another modern headphone...I'll look it up later

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,760 of 4,363
They go round a lip - I had a similar sized new velour pads to the pleather ones that they came with (which you can still buy!)
The velours suit them really well
There is also another pad that I bought a while back that apparently works perfectly with the 990's - that is from another modern headphone...I'll look it up later

So just like the present day models, I believe these are the replacement pads...........CLICK.

About a fiver cheaper than the present day 880 pads! :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,761 of 4,363
So just like the present day models, I believe these are the replacement pads...........CLICK.

About a fiver cheaper than the present day 880 pads! :)

Yes, those are the pads that came on the 880's - I liked them a lot But they were slightly metalic sounding..slightly - (although that may have been an un-burned in...sort of thing!) I keep the original foam on them
With the velour pads AND a hybrid tube amp with 6HA5 Yugoslav tubes they are [for me] essentially perfect
I should add though those particular tubes are far and above the best tubes..by a long way..I have heard. they are really special

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,762 of 4,363
Yes, those are the pads that came on the 880's - I liked them a lot But they were slightly metalic sounding..slightly - (although that may have been an un-burned in...sort of thing!) I keep the original foam on them
With the velour pads AND a hybrid tube amp with 6HA5 Yugoslav tubes they are [for me] essentially perfect
I should add though those particular tubes are far and above the best tubes..by a long way..I have heard. they are really special

Well you know what i'm going to say now............Time for a comparison between the 540 Gold's and the 880's!
Off you go, that's your task for this evening! :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,763 of 4,363
Of course ! :D
I'll try and have a good session over the weekend with the 540 gold / 880 / 990 and make some notes

From memory though - The 540's are more real to life...if you are playing in a perfectly constructed acoustic room
The 990 - more like being reference to a 1970's studio and the 880's, a combination of the 2 but after a spliff and a pint or two :)

All 3 I would say are essential to the Gentleman Audiophile and more importantly have their own unique qualities!

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,764 of 4,363
Nice, they look rather good, don't they. They might be a nice sonic match for the Magni 3 too. Still, I don't currently have the funds available right now - since I'm unable to work at this time, some old light plane crash injuries have now been highlighted by years of lugging weight ... yada yada - so I get to spend more time on Head-Fi than I might have otherwise :) I'd really like to explore some of these other headphones though, I have the time! You could say I have the DT990 pads without the hardware :) Mind you, I do prefer headphones that fit wide around the ears ... like the Ref1s! ... it's partly why I did not like the DT990 pads I bought for the Refs, too closed in, let alone the lack of openness in the SQ. Are the original DT880s and DT990s so closed in around the ears? I enjoy the pleather pads so much because I have space as well as the far superior SQ. And yet, I am fascinated, the DT series certainly have an aura surrounding them, especially the regarded earlier series.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,765 of 4,363
Of course ! :D
I'll try and have a good session over the weekend with the 540 gold / 880 / 990 and make some notes

From memory though - The 540's are more real to life...if you are playing in a perfectly constructed acoustic room
The 990 - more like being reference to a 1970's studio and the 880's, a combination of the 2 but after a spliff and a pint or two :)

All 3 I would say are essential to the Gentleman Audiophile and more importantly have their own unique qualities!
Haha, beautifully descriptive! Agreed from the perspective that the HD540s are so real to life, never heard anything like them and now I'm even more curious ... nervous, maybe? ... for when the new HD6XX arrive next month. I know they are an absolute bargain in the headphone world, yet my Ref1s are so addictively alive without being in your face that I have a feeling that the HD6XX will not match them .... again! Despite the stock upper-mid exposed, lighter bass impactfulness, less detailed (at the time) nature of the HD540s 10-12 years ago, compared to my HD650s, it was the Ref1s I kept and sold off the HD650s on leaving NZ. Now, with the current mods, I reckon the Ref1s would clean up the HD650s all round. And, the HD650s took a long time to break in from new, so I imagine the HD6XX will do so as well, since they are apparently identical sonically. Hmm, if I end up not using them much, maybe I will just sell them on and buy a set of Ref Golds :) I too will look forward to your comparisons!

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,766 of 4,363
The Mogami cable I purchased does not snap into the headphones because the plug is not the same width the whole way like the 540 cable is. I recall seeing a post in this forum about someone that had to 'shave' down the plug, will look for it when i get a chance. Since it does not snap in, it can easily be yanked out

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,767 of 4,363
The Mogami cable I purchased does not snap into the headphones because the plug is not the same width the whole way like the 540 cable is. I recall seeing a post in this forum about someone that had to 'shave' down the plug, will look for it when i get a chance. Since it does not snap in, it can easily be yanked out
Yes, a shave is required and I think it was Mr Git who posted a few pages back where to shave off the excess from the plugs. I did just that and the plugs went in properly from then on. Just a sharp craft knife is all that is needed.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #1,768 of 4,363
Mar 2, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,769 of 4,363
Mar 2, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #1,770 of 4,363
Something a little different today, since I'm house-sitting for friends. Still had to bring all my gear with me though, even though they live less than 2 km from our home :) Rummaging through some CDs and discovered a live EP with the great Larry Carlton and special guest, Robben Ford, pop/jazz fusionped it into the NAD CD player and pumped up the Yamaha A-S201 amp running into some classic B&W 580 floor standers. Owwwwwwww damn this is fine music! Very funky blues ... so I thought, here's a go, mate, pop your Ref1s into the headphone jack of the amp and see how they sound with 50+W available. Grooving, dancing, popping and swinging .. and that was just me! Maaan, don't ever let anyone tell you these HD540 Ref1s can't do bass! Oh yes they can! Taut, deep and punchy and they still sounded like that when I plugged them into the Schiit stack via USB from the MacBook Pro, bass notes start and stop on a dime. A little brighter, more etched top end - tinsel really, applause lacked body and more 2D via the Yam amp, yet ohhh did it rock! I haven't heard such taut and slammin' deep bass for a long time, not a trace of bloat either. Wicked dynamic swings. There's a smoother top end via the Schiit stack and more 3D too. Great fun and I can highly recommend the album if you can find it. Bass guitar is phenomenal on this disc, I've never heard anything like it before with the Ref1s, so alive and 'live', as if I was sitting next to the bass amp on stage. Amazon have the disc, entitled, "Larry Carlton - with Special Guest Robben Ford; Live in Tokyo". Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back