Wow!!! My First Portable Amp!!!
Mar 27, 2009 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

kurtd

New Head-Fier
I really need to get out of the dark ages as I'm looking for a portable amp with USB DAC to pair for primary use with my Shures and maybe to use with the Grado's (if necessary). My primary source is an iPod 5G 30GB.

My budget is to pair the necessary portable amp with the Shures.

Any advice, comments, and interest in assisting my quest is greatly appreciated!!!
o2smile.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 32
if i were you ill save the money and get a desktop amp/dac for your grados. i think ipods are powerful enough to power any iem. from reseraching ill give you a couple of names.
check out rsa for their amp i believe ray has an amp especially made for iem(hornet.....correct me is am wrong),i think they go for 300 usd pico is also nice from what iam reading they are at around 350(the ones w/o the dac option).

hope this helps

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 32
How about my D2 boa?
tongue.gif

But I think Headsix is a damn good start if you'd consider dropping the DAC. I love my Corda XXS (essentially same thing), and its a great intro to portable amps.

If DAC is 100% necessary, then yes, any of the iBassos would be fine.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 32
All,

It really sounds like the Predator is my cup of tea!!!!

What kind of feedback could you give about the Predator?

Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks for the help.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All,

It really sounds like the Predator is my cup of tea!!!!

What kind of feedback could you give about the Predator?

Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks for the help.

Now, I'm a little confused between the Pico and Predator? Help me out here as once again my first priority is to use it with a portable rig with the Shures that I have and then the Grado's at home.

Should I just make this simple and wait to get Justin's new offering on the Pico upsampling one?

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 32
If your source is an iPod you don't need an amp with dac as there is no portable way to get a digital signal out of the iPod.

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 32
He might want one if he plans on using it for his desktop setup that may have digital, or he plans on getting digital source in the future...

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your source is an iPod you don't need an amp with dac as there is no portable way to get a digital signal out of the iPod.

About the iPod i'm planning on using a Line-out dock, so if I understand this correctly that this plugs into the input of the amp.

Also my other use is on the computer with the USB portion of the input.

The Predator has input of both the USB and a 1/8", please confirm?

Thanks.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He might want one if he plans on using it for his desktop setup that may have digital, or he plans on getting digital source in the future...

Please see my reply to nc8000 above and help me out if I'm making the correct interpretation on how to use a Predator.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 32
You might also look at the Meier Audio 3Move...it has all the features you're looking for...portability plus DAC...and it gets great reviews.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by berthoud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the Ibasso D10, its got all you want at $300

Hi, I know what you are saying; however, I'm not sure where the Ibasso is made? I like to support USA made products as it's a shame that almost everything is made in China or the Far East. Plus, Ray Samuels is just a stone throws away from me.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also look at the Meier Audio 3Move...it has all the features you're looking for...portability plus DAC...and it gets great reviews.

Thank you. I'm considering this one as well with TTVJ. I see that you have one and could you tell me more about it and what you've used it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back