Wow, I switched tips on my e500s
Jan 31, 2007 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mastercheif

100+ Head-Fier
All I have to say is wow
etysmile.gif
! I switched from the Shure yellow fomies to the Tri-flange modded to a bi-flange with a cut stem, and these phones sound totaly different. The bass has more impact, and sounds less muddy. The mids have just come to life! When I got these phones, I was expecting the great mids that everyone was talking about. I now know what they were talking about. Bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Radiohead spring to life like I have never heard before. Also, the drums don't seem like they are playing in a totaly different room than the band. The Soundstage is much more up-front, it's like moving from the ~20th row to 5th row. Has anybody else had this experiance when changing tips on the e500?

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 10
I have yet to try the E500, but I definitely had a similar experience with my E5c's, only mine came to life WITH the yellow foamies. Before when using the soft flex or triple flange tips, I could not get enough isolation to get the really lush, smooth bass and nice clear mids and crisp highs that I had anticipated. The foamies did the trick and then some for me.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 10
I prefer the buds that come installed on the e500s. But after trying all the others, one thing is for sure: the different tips change the sound a lot. All owners should cycle through all of them, if only for a minute, to see which they prefer.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 10
i've had a similar experience with my e500's, i'm not sure if it's the same thing you've done, but i cut off the smallest flange of the triflange, as well as shortening the stalk at the wide end. just a mm or two, but yeah, for me it was more of a fit issue, the ones that came on them were ok, but would fall out and was fussy. this works almost perfectly, although i will still get a pair of the fabled black tips coming in feb to try.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 10
agree with Ed...those new black foam tips are the best of them all.
got a sample pair and they're much better than any of the other tips i've tried...best seal and comfort!

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 10
Out of all the tips, the one I enjoy at the complys (i cut off the tips, probably 1-2 cm worth so they don't sound muffled), they are very comfortable, and I feel that they isolate better than the yellow foamies.

I really love how easy to insert the yellow foamies are though, I can do it on the go with no problems (complys need more time to break in before i can put them in w/o rolling them up)

basically the e500's rock
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 10
I bought my E500s last Sept - didnt get on with the foamies at all and the Shure tri flanges where a bit long - you cant insert them as the tip isnt stiff enough - rather than cut them back - which I could have done I used a spare pair off my Er-4Ps. Not changed them since, apart from a little clean. Marvellous. I use mine every day in the office/train- never used the PTH though - it just doesnt work for me.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait til you try the new Black Olive Foamies.
wink.gif

-Ed

I bought Comply's (long and short) and can't get the seal to stay, especially in the right. I'm now using the triple flange and while they are somewhat uncomfortable they do seal well. I will try the "new" foamies when available but if they don't work better than the Comply's then it's a no go.

Strange that I could get a good seal with the yellow foamies on my E4c but can't with the E500's.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 10
I modded my triple flanges to bi flanges by paring off the largest flange and shortening the wider tipped end. My ear canals are a bit small. Perfect isolation. The foamies work fine too but I wear my phones all day at work, and occaisionally when I take them out, it gets on my nerves having to insert the foamies back in. So, I run with the flanges for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back