Wow,I finally bought some Grados
May 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #31 of 44
Thanks to everyone for the advice,I have found some 325is in UK for £245,so i will go for them,they should keep me happy until my premium bonds come up with a big win.I dont think my little dot 1+ would do justice to rs1s anyway.
Cheers.
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear you've discovered a new sound that you like, Wallace
smily_headphones1.gif

I've always been tossing up whether to venture into the grado/alessandro world, but the reported comfort issues have always deterred me.
But my main reason for not trying them out is that I always hear that they are best suited for rock, whereas my main genre is jazz, classical and some indie rock.

Do you guys think it will be worth getting into grados even though I don't listen to much rock? What other reason are there to get grados/alessandros? What other areas do grados excel in? I've read that they are up-front and in your face with little soundstage. But I absolutely love soundstage..

I mainly listen to contemporary jazz and jazz fusion groups through my SR125s, which I know don't get a lot of love here at Head-Fi. Although I didn't know of the existence of this site when I bought them. I just listened to them and thought they sounded great. I think acoustic and electric jazz has great synergy with these phones, so don't let the "Grado's are best for rock" tag dissuade you from trying them (can't comment on how well Grado's render classical music though).

PS Don't know if this counts for anything but I'm a jazz drummer.
smile.gif

May 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone for the advice,I have found some 325is in UK for £245,so i will go for them,they should keep me happy until my premium bonds come up with a big win.I dont think my little dot 1+ would do justice to rs1s anyway.
Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Why not wait for the HF2?
Even if you get taxed by customs, the price wouldn't be that different, and these might be more interesting.

May 27, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #35 of 44
Kind of agree, cos if you going to pay Customs, it wouldnt be more than 19% above the GBP price+customs costs+shipping from US, hmmm...lets see

USD430=GBP275+ (275*19%)=327,25+GBP20(shipping)+gbp15 (customs costs, just guessing up here )=GBP362,50 Its almost 50% more than he is going to spend on SR325i, am I correct
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not wait for the HF2?
Even if you get taxed by customs, the price wouldn't be that different, and these might be more interesting.

May 27, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kind of agree, cos if you going to pay Customs, it wouldnt be more than 19% above the GBP price+customs costs+shipping from US, hmmm...lets see

USD430=GBP275+ (275*19%)=327,25+GBP20(shipping)+gbp15 (customs costs, just guessing up here )=GBP362,50 Its almost 50% more than he is going to spend on SR325i, am I correct
confused.gif

Calculate the future value of both SR325is and HF-2 in 1 year, 5 years and 10 years
wink.gif

May 27, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #37 of 44
Well, I dont say you arent correct, but not me, I dont see headphones as investment, cos having tried lot of them my feeling become only stronger that you can still be happy for less...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calculate the future value of both SR325is and HF-2 in 1 year, 5 years and 10 years
wink.gif

May 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I dont say you arent correct, but not me, I dont see headphones as investment, cos having tried lot of them my feeling become only stronger that you can still be happy for less...

I don't see headphones as investment as well, but I'd be more happy if my headphone doesn't depreciate as much as others.

May 28, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #40 of 44
I for one have never understood the logic that Grado's upfront sound signature makes them "rock headphones." I'm a classical musician and absolutely love what the Grados do for my music. Liking classical doesn't mean preferring a laid back sound! I think the openness and directness that you find across the Grado line is great for all music. When it comes down to it, your headphone preference is really about your taste in sound, not your taste in musical genre. My two cents...

May 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #42 of 44
I wouldn't buy the GS1000 without hearing it. It's a very different style of sound compared to the SR80. The pinnacles of sound within that line (SR60 onward) are the PS1, RS1, and to a different degree the HP1000.

Also, if you do decide to hunt an RS1, I strongly recommend buying used and hunting for an older pair. My Vintage B cost $800 US with an RA1 amp included, and knowing now what we know about the sound differences between older and newer Grados, it's well worth the effort and patience. There's a link in my signature if you want to learn more about the various varieties of RS1.

May 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #43 of 44
HF-2 all the way even know no one but Grado, Jude, and Todd know what they look like let alone sound like. I know I love my HF-1 and the 2nd version with no plastic is definately gonna be nasty and I am so excited!

May 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers.
beerchug.gif

I think you will be very happy with your choice. I stepped up from the sr60s (similar to 80s) to the 325is a few weeks back and can't be happier. I wholeheartedly agree that although people label them as "Rock Phones" my jazz, acoustic, indie etc. benefit greatly from them - crystal clear is how I would characterize these.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back