Wow Factor, never again?
Oct 27, 2006 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bpower

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

When I got my first decent cans (grado rs60s obv. ) I was blown away, I couldn't believe how good they sounded. Before that I had only had crappy buds.
Im upgrading to 325is, should arrive soon. Will I ever get that wow factor again, or is it just small increments in quality from here on?

Thanks for reading
Brian

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 27
Everytime i have upgraded thus far i got a wow factor. Each set of phones I have had had something new that I did not hear in the previous set.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 27
Once you find 'the one' headphone that suits you best, and it synergizes well with your gear, the Wow factor never ends. At least for me. I get the Wow factor each and every time I have a listening session with my AKG K1000s. The novelty never wears off.

k1000smile.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Once you find 'the one' headphone that suits you best, and it synergizes well with your gear, the Wow factor never ends. At least for me. I get the Wow factor each and every time I have a listening session with my AKG K1000s. The novelty never wears off.

k1000smile.gif

Dont get me wrong, i still love my 60s, some times i feel like busting out laughing when im wearing them cos they're that good. Im listening to the libertines right now and i cant stop smiling and tapping my foot
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 27
No, the wow factor will continue. I found that I can get a wow factor from new gear but I can also get it by revisiting some gear that I hadn't used in a while.

It's weird but I find that I can really like a headphone/amp and then I tire of the sound or feel that it sounds crappy.
confused.gif
And I move onto a different headphone/amp, and when I tire of this combo, the previously used gear can sound real good again.

This is one of the reasons why I hate to sell my stuff. I know some people can stick with one set and be happy. But I seem to need the variety to keep me going.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 27
^ Me too - the K-1000 gives me that every time. Up to this point there were several "wow factors" but until the K-1000s they haven't lasted.

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 27
I had every Grado and Alessandro cans. In my opinion you will get an incremental improvement with 325i. My next big "wow" factor was with MS-Pro.

My biggest "wow" factor wasn't until I decided to try some AT cans that really changed my whole outlook on what cans I really want to settle down with.

Good luck and have fun on your head-fi journey
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpower
Hi,

When I got my first decent cans (grado rs60s obv. ) I was blown away, I couldn't believe how good they sounded. Before that I had only had crappy buds.
Im upgrading to 325is, should arrive soon. Will I ever get that wow factor again, or is it just small increments in quality from here on?

Thanks for reading
Brian

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
I had every Grado and Alessandro cans. In my opinion you will get an incremental improvement with 325i. My next big "wow" factor was with MS-Pro.

My biggest "wow" factor wasn't until I decided to try some AT cans that really changed my whole outlook on what cans I really want to settle down with.

Good luck and have fun on your head-fi journey
rs1smile.gif

Whats the MSPro, same as the rs1?

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 27
MS-Pro is top of the line Alessandro series..."cousin" to RS1. I prefer the sound of MS-Pro over RS1. It's more "mature" sounding than RS1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpower
Whats the MSPro, same as the rs1?

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 27
My first headphone "wow"(since I was a little kid anyway) was when I first heard the dt770/80. I was totally floored. A few minutes after I walked away from the store, my mind started doing something bad. At first, I was in awe of the engineering Beyerdynamic had achieved, but then, I started asking myself, "Can a headphone REALLY sound that good?...Should I believe what I heard?" After that, I felt my doubt snowballing into what eventually became a mental block on any hi-fi sound. I now have to meditate hard to "clear" my mind of this block, and receive the sound unfiltered. Only then, am I able to approach the "wow" factor I once experienced on the first day I heard the dt770/80
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 27
Two things to say here:

1) Remember that most of us are here to be sure that each purchase we make - whether considered an "upgrade" or not - is a good choice. There are so many options you can literally spend MORE money for a perceived LESSER audio experience. In that way, the quick answer is there are no guarantees.

2) If you're sticking with one company's sound, then Grado is the one to pick, at least so far as to say that they have the most linear upgrade path. In my humble opinion, Grado is the one company that you can hear an immediate and discernable difference at every stage of the ladder. That's not to say you can expect to love every Grado, but you should be able to pick out each cans strengths and weaknesses fairly quickly. I can tell you that the SR325i is so significant an upgrade from the SR60 (and even the "one step down" SR225) that it's mind boggling.

To make a point, however, I chose the SR225 over the 325i citing the warmth and lightness of the 225 to be more appealing for me personally.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 27
I had heard a few BIG jumps. The biggest being from SR60 to RS1 in a single bound. I had then heard HD650's from various exotic amps and been impressed but no wow. I thought wow was in my past. Then I heard the k1000's at a meet. The wow factor came back.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 27
I don't think the "wow" factor comes from just upgrading. Even sidestepping to a different kind of phone can make for an extremely enjoyable experiences. You could be on the best Senn system out there, then switch to a cheaper Grado system just to get some of that Grado sound and you could easily be floored.

Oct 27, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 27
Some very interesting points. Thanks guys. Cant wait for the 325is to arrive.

A lot of people seem to like the K1000. How much do they cost and will I need an amp?Joking! Don't answer that
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 27
I got my first real "Wow" with MS-1 and another more refined one with MS2i. The "Wow!" really hit with MS2i when I added an amp. I suspect that an aditional "Wow" would come about with an MS-Pro, but a major "wow" only if I were to add an even better amp and source. Seems that cans and amps have to be bought as a "package"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back