Wow, didn't know Bose was that bad!
May 29, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #46 of 65
My friend recently got himself a BMW with a Bose system in it. He knew from conversation with me and probably his own general knowledge that Bose wasn't actually the best at all, and he wouldn't ever have chosen to install a Bose system.

He asked me to listen to it and tell him what I thought. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. My previous experience with Bose was with the Triport and older Wave Radio, neither of which are very impressive. So I listened, and it was pretty bad. A huge portion of the midrange was absolutely missing. I asked him to check his EQ. He had various ranges boosted but some of them were mid. I asked him to set all to zero. He did. Midrange still just not there. The bottom ends of voices and guitar and everything else was cut out, leaving a very tinny, echoey treble. He upped the EQ in the midrange; still nothing.

Despite sounding so bad the bass had a lot of weight--not great bass but not completely awful--and with all those speakers it somehow conveyed a very convincing image, even if the particular pieces of the image didn't sound great and it wasn't able to actually reproduce voices.

I saw an ad for a Cadillac that touted a Bose system. One more thing to consider when purchasing a new vehicle.

May 29, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #47 of 65
Surprisingly, my dad's old Jimmy's Bose system was pretty good, at least compared to the 4 speaker trash we currently have in the Canyon -_-. I still have yet to hear a good car stereo system though. I never felt like spending 2 grand on a car system that I will ditch in a few years.

May 29, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surprisingly, my dad's old Jimmy's Bose system was pretty good, at least compared to the 4 speaker trash we currently have in the Canyon -_-. I still have yet to hear a good car stereo system though. I never felt like spending 2 grand on a car system that I will ditch in a few years.

The stock system in my Sonata has a surprisingly liquid, warm, pleasant midrange. Highs are rolled off, it's a little slow and the bass is generally all wrong, but other than that it's got something going for it. My car might be my favorite place to listen to Camera Obscura. Other than that I don't find car systems very appealing, especially not the ones other people are usually so proud of.

May 29, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #50 of 65
Is it really THAT awful?? I havent tried one before.

It makes me wonder that what exactly is the engineer at BOSE doing?? Who did they hire to test their product?? A deaf guy maybe??

May 29, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock system in my Sonata has a surprisingly liquid, warm, pleasant midrange. Highs are rolled off, it's a little slow and the bass is generally all wrong, but other than that it's got something going for it. My car might be my favorite place to listen to Camera Obscura. Other than that I don't find car systems very appealing, especially not the ones other people are usually so proud of.

At my place, guess what most people think about car systems:
rolleyes.gif
Stronger Bass=Good System
rolleyes.gif
(especially bass that rock your car
rolleyes.gif
)

May 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #52 of 65
Totally agree on the the Bose car system, my "premium" factory system on the Corolla sounds WAY better than the Bose on the Matrix. The Matrix has really boomy bass that takes away most of the low ends and the nice high-end sparkle to most songs is missing. The Corolla on the other hand sounds great, and although I can't say it's totally "accurate", it is very enjoyable.

Oh and I had a chance to try out the QuietComfort II and the TriPods... DAMN! My $20 KSC75's with a silver recabled killed them hands-down in every department, and with the $4 HD414 pads on a PortaPro headband, it was much more comfortable too. I think they're even more comfortable than the DT770 and HD650
smily_headphones1.gif
, could hardly tell they're there at all.

May 29, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #53 of 65
The Triports don't sound terrible, but they are extremely overpriced and colored. They are really, really comfortable though.

The Acoustimass system though is just bad bad bad. Get some $100 el-cheapo Harmon Kardon and you can beat it. Not to mention there is some incredible value to be had at around $800 for a 2.1 system.

edit: So OK FallenAngel has proven me wrong. Well at least the BOSE system soudned a lot better than our current stock 4 speaker system :S. Should check out that Corolla one though. I really should replace the current system, as it's driving me nuts how bad it is. It's sad that I want the bose back

May 29, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #54 of 65
My dad was recently asking me about headphones and said he was considering buying Bose. Naturally I tried to dissuade him. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what guys like my dad are really looking for is circumaural, noise isolating headphones that are lightweight and comfortable. They'd also like them to sound good, but they don't know what "good" is, so ignorance is bliss.

I tried to think of an alternative to Bose that was circumaural, noise isolating, lightweight, and comfortable, and nothing really came to mind. There's a few noise isolating, lightweight, and comfortable headphones, but they aren't circumaural. And there's plenty of circumaural, comfortable headphones, but they are either bulky or open backed. And there's tons of supraural, light weight, comfortable headphones, but they aren't noise isolating. I can't think of anything else that hits all four of those characteristics the way that Bose does. Unfortunately, the light weight comes with the disadvantage of extreme fragility. And then there's the mediocre sound and high price.

But honestly, I think the reason Bose is popular is because people want to sit on an airplane and block out the noise without having to stick anything in their ears or carry anything too bulky. And I don't think anybody else is providing that for guys like my dad, who wouldn't know muddy bass if it were smeared all over his face.

May 30, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes me wonder that what exactly is the engineer at BOSE doing??

They spent all their money on marketing, they probably have failed biologists designing their sound systems.

Don't ask...
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At my place, guess what most people think about car systems:
rolleyes.gif
Stronger Bass=Good System
rolleyes.gif
(especially bass that rock your car
rolleyes.gif
)

Well, the first step beyond absolute crap is bassy absolute crap. This is true in everything hi-fi, whether it's car stereo, home stereo or headphones.
basshead.gif

May 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to think of an alternative to Bose that was circumaural, noise isolating, lightweight, and comfortable, and nothing really came to mind. There's a few noise isolating, lightweight, and comfortable headphones, but they aren't circumaural. And there's plenty of circumaural, comfortable headphones, but they are either bulky or open backed. And there's tons of supraural, light weight, comfortable headphones, but they aren't noise isolating. I can't think of anything else that hits all four of those characteristics the way that Bose does. Unfortunately, the light weight comes with the disadvantage of extreme fragility. And then there's the mediocre sound and high price.

But honestly, I think the reason Bose is popular is because people want to sit on an airplane and block out the noise without having to stick anything in their ears or carry anything too bulky. And I don't think anybody else is providing that for guys like my dad, who wouldn't know muddy bass if it were smeared all over his face.

*drum roll*

The new Sennheiser PXC450 to the rescue.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #59 of 65
Why have you bumped 3 old threads with the same post? Immature. Dont bump this thread guys, let it die out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back