WOW: Burst-"Lazarus Bird" (Prog-Metal-Core?)
Feb 17, 2010 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Bought this about 6 months back, gave it a couple of listens, liked it, but for some odd reason, I dropped it. Picked it back up a couple of weeks ago; has done nothing but keep my attention ever since.

So hard to label these guys as they carry/utilize various characteristics of so many metal sub-genres. What's most interesting to me is that I find they draw as much from Pink Floyd and King Crimson, as they do from Neurosis and ISIS (and theres some Mastodon and Opeth in their as well).

The end-product is however, ALL their own. And that is makes them so darn intriguing.

Theres is something here for everyone; TERRIFIC album.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Yeah, I picked this up on recommendation from the post-metal thread a while back. I really like it. Recommendations for anything similar (if it exists) are welcome.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 7
ordered thanks

BTW, Regarding Opeth, do they growl in their music? Like the cookie monster if that helps. I have been hearing great thing about this band but they seem to be compared to high on fire which has growling.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ordered thanks

BTW, Regarding Opeth, do they growl in their music? Like the cookie monster if that helps. I have been hearing great thing about this band but they seem to be compared to high on fire which has growling.

A lot of their music incorporates growling; for those that have decided outright that they don't like the growling, you might not be able to get into some of their heavier stuff. The minute I decided I didn't care about it anymore, the music became accessible to me. Take that for what it's worth.

If you are interested in starting with some of their lighter stuff with less growling, check out Damnation.

But I would urge you to try to give all of it a chance with an open mind.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Opeth is the first band I listened to with growling vocals, if that helps. (Blackwater Park, I believe.) I also like High on Fire, but I don't think their styles are all that similar.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iniamyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The minute I decided I didn't care about it anymore, the music became accessible to me. Take that for what it's worth.

But I would urge you to try to give all of it a chance with an open mind.

Its not me. My kids are seaseme street fans. Last time they wanted to know "why is Cookie soo angry" . The money I save not taking them to Seaseme place will soon be used for therapy if I keep listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back