Wow - April 01 is a real big day for you guys...
Apr 3, 2007 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
Not sure whether celebrate is the correct word, but I have no idea what the big deal about april fool's is.

Can someone please explain to an Aussie?

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 17
There isn't really. It's just a day for people to get away with doing weird stuff to each other.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 17
Yep, April Fools stuff happens in Melbourne. Been happening all my life and I am pushing 50.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 17
It's a strange day where you try to fool someone into thinking that something happens (whatever), and getting them all excited/upset and you let it build to a peak, then you yell "APRIL FOOLS!".

For example, my 11 yr. son told my 9 yr daughter that she had a bee in her hair yesterday afternoon. She's deathly afraid of bees. After she's nearly crying, in Mom's arms, he yells "April Fools!". Not too smart, really.

You can imagine all the possibilities. Some funny, some not. Really it's just a form of practial joking, with a pre-determined punchline.

I don't have the slightest clue how it all started. A Google search is in order.

Edit:
http://www.cycnet.com/englishcorner/...aprilfools.htm

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure whether celebrate is the correct word, but I have no idea what the big deal about april fool's is.

Can someone please explain to an Aussie?

It's the day of the year where those who don't take the world too seriously get to have fun at the expense of those who do.

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

After she's nearly crying, in Mom's arms, he yells "April Fools!". Not too smart, really.

That's the fun of April Fools.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 17
Incredibly, this year, in THIS Melbourne, it hasn't been too bad. Usually the kids get together and find some way to give me and G'ma a rough time and get somthing to laugh at. But not this year!

...maybe they want something.
plainface.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 17
200 of us highschoolers spread across four buses were halfway through a 15-hour busride from Atlanta back to Cleveland and had just stopped for lunch. A bunch of us were able to pull off a quick meal at a nearby Chinese Super Buffet thing and were sort of bragging about to the rest of the kids who ended up with McDonalds when we got back on the bus. About half an hour into the ride, all of us started feeling it and stampeded to the lavratories in the back of the bus. Now keep in mind, we still had a good seven hours left and the restroom in the back isn't very well-contained. After we each stepped out of the bathrooms grumbling and waving our hands in front of our faces in an attempt to get the smell out of our noses, several of the kids in the back of the bus started complaining about the smell. The complaints travelled up to the midsection of the bus and before long the entire bus started whining about the reek.

Ha, April Fools! We all felt fine and not a single one of us actually used the restroom. In the end the rest of the kids on the bus stumbled through well-I-thought-I-smelled-something-bad's and other assorted excuses. Made for some fun and awkward laughs.

Good times. Yeah, good times.

And yes, despite any amount of eloquence and maturity we display on Head-Fi, we're all still kids
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 17
You can learn about the origin here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day

As far as I know, it's celebrated widely outside of the United States. Unfortunately, it fell on a Sunday this year, so no real fun at the office.

One of the best I pulled off a few years back was circulating a fake memo describing how the law firm I worked at was changing over to a 24 hour operation then listing who was to be on day, swing and graveyard shifts. I especially enjoyed putting those with small children on graveyard.

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't really. It's just a day for people to get away with doing weird stuff to each other.

x2

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I couldnt say it any better way.

I think its less valued now, with the internet etc.
Back about 5-10 years ago, it was more enjoyable, with doing pranks or comments, for the first few hours in the day. Now, your either online or at Starbucks for the first 6 hours of the day (since its suppose to happen only till 12:00

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 17
well, this april fools was relatively uneventful. there was the person that now hates me because i said i hated her when she asked me out as a joke. the only thing i actually pulled on anyone was when i ran into a girl i know from school at the convenience store. i hadn't been at school for the past two days before the weekend, and told her that i wasn't going to come back ever, then i said that i really liked her and was sorry i had to leave. we shared a hug and i whispered "april fools" into her ear.
icon10.gif
i'm downright dastardly. just glad i didn't get smacked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
200 of us highschoolers spread across four buses were halfway through a 15-hour busride from Atlanta back to Cleveland and had just stopped for lunch. A bunch of us were able to pull off a quick meal at a nearby Chinese Super Buffet thing and were sort of bragging about to the rest of the kids who ended up with McDonalds when we got back on the bus. About half an hour into the ride, all of us started feeling it and stampeded to the lavratories in the back of the bus. Now keep in mind, we still had a good seven hours left and the restroom in the back isn't very well-contained. After we each stepped out of the bathrooms grumbling and waving our hands in front of our faces in an attempt to get the smell out of our noses, several of the kids in the back of the bus started complaining about the smell. The complaints travelled up to the midsection of the bus and before long the entire bus started whining about the reek.

Ha, April Fools! We all felt fine and not a single one of us actually used the restroom. In the end the rest of the kids on the bus stumbled through well-I-thought-I-smelled-something-bad's and other assorted excuses. Made for some fun and awkward laughs.

Good times. Yeah, good times.

And yes, despite any amount of eloquence and maturity we display on Head-Fi, we're all still kids
biggrin.gif

oh wow, i do that all of the time. i just say "oh jeez i farted" and someone says "I SMELL IT" and everyone covers their nose and says it smells horrible. so much fun.

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh wow, i do that all of the time. i just say "oh jeez i farted" and someone says "I SMELL IT" and everyone covers their nose and says it smells horrible. so much fun.

Haha, I'm guilty too
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back