Would you replace SCL4 with SE425, IE8, TF10, or some other good deal...?
Mar 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

et10yl

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

My SCL4s have finally given in to cable breakage right at the earbud. They were purchased in Feb '09 and so are out of warranty. I had considered sending them back to Shure last year when there was a tiny tiny tear in the little trumpet casing area, but I didn't and that tear became bigger only to finally tear off completely and expose the cable which then broke. This is the 2nd set of SCL-4s (I bought 2) that I've had cable problems with. Now I need to replace them and have been reading around the forums for good deals on quality IEMs that will last me awhile. I've been kicking around either sending my SCL4 in to Shure for out of warranty replacement with SE425 (this was quoted over the phone at $144+tax) or buying a set of lightly used IE8 or TF10. I'd like to stick to the < $150 range. Is there some other phone I should be considering?

I listen to classical piano/orchestra, broadway musicals, acapella, alternative/rock/pop (Coldplay, Linkin Park, Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Evanescence, ). I tend not to listen to country or much hip hop/rap, so I probably don't need thumping bass but would like the phones to be able to handle some decent amount of bass (acapella and some orchestral music). I like being able to distinguish the different instruments in an orchestral piece and have a sense of which direction they might be playing from, but not to the point of being cold/clinical about it.

Edited to add: I like fairly good isolation and was able to achieve that with my SCL4+small olive tips.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Eh I feel the 425 are really overrated they are better then the 315 but not quite the 535 sound quality.

Imo the tf10 are really hard to beat for performance/ price imo the tf10 are able to handle a lot of genres no problem. Their bottom end is tight full of presence but not overemphasized. High are very clear and imo sparkle and also full of presence. Mids are slightly recessed but still clear these have a v shaped signature.

The tf10 are a very fun iem where as the shire line when you start to fet to the top teir they start to get more analytical and sterile sound dont get me wrong the 425-535 sound great but thats just my take.

Ive owned the 535 reds and the 425 and when I first got the tf10 I was blown away by the performance to how much they cost. Definitly worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back