Would you rather own the ideal speaker setup, or ideal headphone setup?
Apr 12, 2007 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
If you could have anything, choose anything - which route would you go? If money were no object, if you had a room that was a sonically perfect shrine to music, but you could only go either speakers or headphone -- which? Any system, any equipment.

Just curious, of course. Not intending to pick anyone out of the crowd to grant the wishes of.

EDIT: Nobody seems to have read my reply, so here's a point I wanted to make:

Don't post a response on the basis of $'s for $'s. ("Oh, speaker systems cost more, I'd get more value if I had one of those!") I'm just curious what kind of sound people would prefer - which would you enjoy listening to more, if you had it?

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 111
I guess if price isn't any object then speakers. The sound would fill the room and you wouldn't be restricted by cords. Good for listening to music as you rest in bed.
However, if money is any object, I prefer headphones to speakers. I like having the source of sound close to my ears while still having good soundstage... dunno kinda hard to explain

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 111
001.png

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 111
Living in suburbia I couldn't drive speakers to adequate levels without getting complaints from family or the neighbors. Due to that I'd have to go with headphones (and actually this is why I started looking at top tier headphones in the first place). This is of course unless getting the ultimate speaker system includes buying a lovely spacious place out in the countryside or some great sound proofing so that I can enjoy them properly.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Living in suburbia I couldn't drive speakers to adequate levels without getting complaints from family or the neighbors. Due to that I'd have to go with headphones (and actually this is why I started looking at top tier headphones in the first place). This is of course unless getting the ultimate speaker system includes buying a lovely spacious place out in the countryside or some great sound proofing so that I can enjoy them properly.

+1

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 111
Lol speakers no doubt. You could probably max out a headphone set up with 100k-120k if you got everything including dumb cables (More or less given the # of headphones you decide you need)... while a perfect speaker set up could be a million or more.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 111
Headphones...definitely...because ultimately the wife and kids would invade that sonically perfect shrine and **** it up. With headphones, the shrine is portable and mine alone because the shrine is my cranium!
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol speakers no doubt. You could probably max out a headphone set up with 100k-120k if you got everything including dumb cables (More or less given the # of headphones you decide you need)... while a perfect speaker set up could be a million or more.

the anechoic chamber for the speaker setup will cost $10 million to build by itself. of course, for nearfield listening at medium volumes, the room isn't a big issue.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 111
The perfect speakers in the perfect room with no restrictions on when or how I could listen to them, because they place the performers where they should be in front and around me rather than behind and around me.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 111
4 days ago I had the opportunity to listen to a $50,000+ system when we went to go pick up our new TV.

I'd go for that over headphones.

but in reality I need headphones as to not disturb the people around me

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 111
I heard anechoic rooms are completely bad for speaker listening, gives NO reverberation. In real live, you don't have a 15-20 feet room, but you have a room (you're not in a complete desert without any echo or reverberation).

However, I'd like to have a VERY VERY VERY big room filled with LOTS of speakers....

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 111
Headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back