Would you like a tube-powered iPod table radio for $100.00?
Dec 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Again, it's available at this price as of this post....

601586.jpg

Acoustic Research (AR) AV100B tube-powered iPod table radio @ Amazon.com

I checked the owner's manual and it's powered by vacuum tubes. Which kind? The manual doesn't specify.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it have a headphone jack. This may be a score as I see you can also use a source.

Yes, it does. It is visible on the front panel....the 1/8" jack on the right is the headphone jack. Right next to it is the remote senor window as this unit also comes with a remote control.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank I /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have it yet. Wondering how it sounds. Looks very sexy.

I'm tempted to get it but I need to apply my limited financial resources to a new monitor for my new computer.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Usually I get some cash gifts for XMAS. If I do I will take a shot with it. Wish I seen this month ago would had my wife get it. I am curious to what tubes are in there and am not fond of the sellers return policy.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 10
It looks like a hybrid (tube front end with SS back end). Tough to sell an all tube radio for only 100 bucks and make a dime off of it. The output transformers alone for a tubed amp section would be more than 3 X what the radio costs all by themselves.

Peete.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Looks really nice! Unfortuntaly, I have no use for a tabletop mini sound system. I would buy it though if I had a very small office with little space. That being said, it would be cooler and better to get an authentic vintage tube amp like an old Fisher or Dynaco unit and some small speakers. But for $100, it looks amazing.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 10
I'd pass. For $100, the amp and speakers would probably be compromised to save money.

It looks cool, but I don't know if it would sound especially good.

Dec 25, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 10
in a somewhat related note, the Boston Acoustics Horizen Duo-i is a pretty sweet Ipod doc, and right now alot of places are bundling the older Horizen Duo (not -i) and the Ipod Dock acessory together for about 100$ (originally retailed for 250$). Pretty amazing sound quality for the price and size, it's signifigantly better then any ihome and comparable to the Bose Soundock (not a bose fan, but the ipod soundock does sound good, but it's in an ocean of mediocrity)

The older horizen duo with the ipod dock seems to actually be superior to the Duo-I, as the separate dock appears to have more compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back