Would you buy sealed but 6 year old Sennheiser PX-100?
Apr 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MickHF

New Head-Fier
Hi!

First of all, thanks for this awesome thread! Great job!
On eBay I have found old but sealed "Nokia For Music" packages (Nokia put it on the Italian market in 2006) that include Sennheiser PX-100 (it is not clear if model is PX100-II).
Price is 18 € (shipment included) that is 23.77$ more or less. New PX100-II are around 41$.

Would you buy them or would you prefer newer hardware?

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 6
Unless there's any chance of material degradation, there's no problem.
Mine lasted 7 years of everyday use.

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 6
If anything is degraded, it is the earpads, however it is unlikely they are. Even so, replacement earpads for the PX100 aren't so expensive. i say go for it, as long as you are reasonably sure it is real and the seller is legitimate. A number of years ago I bought some old model Sennheiser compact headphones, and the earpads were crumbling.

Some people greatly prefer the single side cord on the PX100II to the dual entry PX100.  $41 is a good price for the PX100II. It seems like US dealers are asking around $70 for it now. My PX100 is a few years old. I paid $40 for it. I would not pay $70 for the PX100II. For around that price, one could get a Sony MDR-V6 or a Koss Tony Bennett headphone. Those are much more substantial. Imo the PX100 is only slightly better than the $15 JVC HA-S160 "Flats". While the Flats is closed and the PX100 is open, since the Flats is so small, it doesn't isolate well. I prefer the sound of the $40 JVC HA-S650 to the PX100. Both are warm sounding and have plenty of bass, but the HA-S650 is closed and has more bass punch.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
If anything is degraded, it is the earpads, however it is unlikely they are. Even so, replacement earpads for the PX100 aren't so expensive. i say go for it, as long as you are reasonably sure it is real and the seller is legitimate. A number of years ago I bought some old model Sennheiser compact headphones, and the earpads were crumbling.

Some people greatly prefer the single side cord on the PX100II to the dual entry PX100.  $41 is a good price for the PX100II. It seems like US dealers are asking around $70 for it now. My PX100 is a few years old. I paid $40 for it. I would not pay $70 for the PX100II. For around that price, one could get a Sony MDR-V6 or a Koss Tony Bennett headphone. Those are much more substantial. Imo the PX100 is only slightly better than the $15 JVC HA-S160 "Flats". While the Flats is closed and the PX100 is open, since the Flats is so small, it doesn't isolate well. I prefer the sound of the $40 JVC HA-S650 to the PX100. Both are warm sounding and have plenty of bass, but the HA-S650 is closed and has more bass punch.

Thank you very much for telling me about the cord! I didn't care about it, it's important instead.

Well, I don't like bass heavy headphone: I tried AKG 404 and sent it back! I prefer warm and quite balanced sounding, mids and trebles are important.
My typical use will be mp3 listening (mainly pop and hard rock) in the train or in the bus, but also in my room in the evening.
Yes, close headphone is better for bus and train. Anyway here JVC HA-S650 is 60$ whereas PX200-II is 65$...

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 6
"Anyway here JVC HA-S650 is 60$ whereas PX200-II is 65$..."

Wow. In the US, on Amazon the PX200II is $90, and the JVC HA-S650 is $42. Sennheiser products have suddenly become so expensive in the US. I guess they are no longer being discounted as they used to be. I think this is a big mistake for Sennheiser, and they will suffer great market share losses in the US. There are other choices besides Sennheiser. At least those in Europe can still buy Sennheiser products at more reasonable prices.

When I bought the HA-S650 for $40 the PX200II was selling for $70 here, and I decided that the HA-S650 was a better value. Now  the PX200II is more than double the cost of the HA-S650 here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back