Would the Sugden Headmaster or Emmeline HR-2 be a step up from...
Aug 12, 2003 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xeno7651

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have a MELOS SHA-1, and after reading some reviews on the Headmaster and Emmeline HR-2, the upgrade virus kicks in again
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I was wondering if either the Headmaster or the Emmeline be a step up from the SHA-1. I listen to all types of music and prefer amps with a slightly darker sound. If you have heard the amps above, please give me your opinion on them and whether I should keep the SHA-1 or get one of the other 2.

Cheers
600smile.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Keep the SHA-1 and find some good tubes for it. If you really want to milk the SHA-1 for all it can do, Head-Fi member carlo can modify it for you. The Headmaster would likely be a downgrade if you prefer a darker sound. The Emmeline would be right up your alley, but you've already got a Melos. IMO that's a good amp to stick with.

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Hirsch, thanks for the reply. I think I will stick with the SHA-1 since the other 2 might not offer the step up I was looking for. However, they do look very attractive
600smile.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 8
What cans are you using? What source?

Depends on what you want from the sound. I used to own a Melos Maestro (totally maxed out Melos) and I own the HR-2. For me, with the R10s, I would say I prefer the HR-2. The Melos has a yummy buttery sound especially in the middle. HR-2 is more "neutral" or "accurate", if you like, but it has endless supply of power, very dynamic and fast, just great with rhythmic music. Melos is warmer, more easy-going and slower by comparison, not as "clear" and crisp as the HR-2. Some people say HR-2 is "dark", but I feel it can actually verge on brightness in the wrong system at least with stock AD797 op-amps.

Getting your Melos modified is another excellent suggestion. This way, you are virtually assured the amp you get back will be better than the one you sent in. I've heard one of carlo's mod-ed Melos SHA-1s, and sound was on par with my Maestro.

Mark

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 8
I used to own the Headmaster. I now have the HR-2. If you replace the SHA-1, I would reccomend the HR-2 over the Headmaster. Some guys with the Headmaster have had mods done and with great results. What phones are you using?

Aug 13, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 8
markl and Kieran Comito, thank you for your input. I'm currently using the Philips 963SA as my source. As for phones, I switch between the HD600 and DT770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back