Would speakers made in 2000 be a safe buy in 2022?
Aug 27, 2022 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

slowpickr

Headphoneus Supremus
Have an opportunity to get a set of Cambridge Soundworks T300 (manufactured in 2000) tower speakers for $350. They look like they have been taken care of and sound great. I'm a little concerned about age. Read online where internal foam around the cones can deteriorate significantly in 20 years. Not sure if that would apply to these or not. Think I saw where Bose is susceptible to this. These speakers are beasts with onboard powered subs. Also quite heavy at 75 lbs each and I estimate are 4 to 5 feet tall.

So, should I have anything to worry about? For the same price I could get 2022 Sony SS-CS3s which get rave reviews for a budget set. I suspect though that the T300s are much more sound for the money.

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Saying nothing

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 6
With something that old, it's a gamble. Not just for the surround material but for the built in amp.

If they sound great, I'd probably take them at $350.

Aug 27, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 6
With something that old, it's a gamble. Not just for the surround material but for the built in amp.

If they sound great, I'd probably take them at $350.
Thanks (and @PurpleAngel). Ended up backing out due to the built in amp (read some comments about it being prone to going out). The things are also quite heavy and I don't have a good back LOL. And the age is always a concern. Think I'm going to stick with the Sony's. Plan to add a sub and some Kef Q300 bookshelf speakers as surrounds which I already have. Should make for a decent home theater setup.

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a pair of Nautulis 804s by B&W that I bought in 1999. They sound even better than when I purchased them over 20 years ago. and they look great! It all depends on how the products were made and how the owner has taken care of them over the years.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 6
I have a pair of Pro Ac Tablettes from 1984 that have no issues - although I re- capped them ( for Sonics ) about 20 yrs ago. Surrounds and all else mint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back