Would someone be interested in making me a very special custom iPod cable (not LOD). I'll pay.
Aug 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mistertomlinson

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the scenario. I just bought an '06 Scion tC. It has a factory iPod port in the armrest/console... but the previous owner replaced the original CD player with an aftermarket CD player, so the iPod port is useless. Now, I UNDERSTAND I can easily run an iPod cable to the glovebox, but I am very compulsive and this wont do! I want to use the factory iPod port.

I will be purchasing the JVC iPod adapter which allows me to control the iPod using my head unit and it also charges it. I believe I have tracked down the appropriate pinouts and placed them below. I imagine it would be as simple as clipping the dock connector off the end of the iPod adapter and soldering the wires directly into the harness that plugs into the factory iPod port.

Would anyone be willing to do this for me (or know someone here I might PM?). On a side note: the iPod adapter I will be using doesn't charge newer model iPhones, which indicates it uses an older revision iPod dock. I believe it's the one I have posted a link to below.

I will ship the iPod adapter and harness for the factory iPod port... and anything else you require. Just tell me what you'd charge. Thanks for any help.

Pinout for iPod cable: http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Pinout for factory iPod port:

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm moving this over to the DIY Forum. Someone should be able to help you.

Not to threadjack, but congrats on the tC! My daily driver is an '07 I bought new. Great car! I've got 83k and have never had a problem. I added the TRD shock tower brace in the engine compartment and the TRD rear sway bar, on the "track" setting. It doesn't roll in turns any more, yet still rides nicely. Highly recommended. :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 5
I was wondering where my thread went this morning. Ha.

And thanks. I wish I was fortunate enough to have owned my tC for the first 83K miles. Mine has 98K on it, but I love the little person... However, the ricer in me is still bitter it isn't a 5 speed.

... I'm still interested in the custom cable for those who are willing to consider it.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 5
Bump for help...

It seems I'm not gonna be able to find anyone to make this cable for me, so after finding the iPod interface on clearance at Best Buy for $20, it's time for me to try it myself... though I have no business doing so :/

So... could someone at least look over my pinouts and tell me what I'm doing wrong before I give it a go? There are a few wires I'm not sure I have matched correctly. I'm hoping someone knowledgeable of this kinda thing can look at the attached image and tell me how it looks. Thanks to anyone who's willing to help me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back