would RS-1/RA-1 be a good upgrade from MS-1?
Aug 6, 2005 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

shochu

Head-Fier
newbie seeking help..

i'm liking the 2 weeks old MS-1 more and more everyday now for home/office use. the super.fi pro gets use for my daily commute.

what can i expect to get from the MS-1 to RS-1 upgrade?

i find that the bass is a tad too much for me. how does MS-1 compare to RS-1 or MS-pro in this matter? bass could be a lot tighter, for sure.
would the RS-1 be more forward sounding than the MS-1?
what about the high, would the RS-1 be more refined and mellow (without sounding weak)? crispy clean and mellow at the same time, is it possible?
how about the soundstage?

also, would MS-pro be better for me since i already know i like the sound of the alessandro line?

last question, what would be the good price for the RS-1 and RA-1 pair? and where?

thanks, this site is really helping me a lot.

Aug 6, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 22
Bass with the RS-1 is alot bloomier and fuller. If you want a tighter more controlled bass, RS-1 is not the way to go.

Highs are more full and melodic, probably more harsh than the MS-1 though, depending on your use of pads. Cripsy clean and mellow is a good way to describe them imho.

Soundstage is definately better. Not ALOT better like a sennheiser, but considerably better considering its a Grado can.

Dont know about the MS-Pro, but people seem to generally like RS-1s better.

As far as price is concerned, 695USD for RS-1s, 350USD for battery version RA-1, 450 for AC powered version. Those are retail prices. You can find the RS-1 used for as low as 450USD here, and the RA-1 for around 200.

Aug 6, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 22
Bass-

**RS-1 and MS-Pro have more and deeper bass than the MS-1.

would the RS-1 be more forward sounding than the MS-1?

**Nope, the MS-1 is more forward sounding, its seems to be more in your face due to the shallow housing.

what about the high, would the RS-1 be more refined and mellow (without sounding weak)?

**highs are more high and refined on the RS-1, but they won't sound as mellow as the MS-1 because the MS-1 is a bit rolled off on the highs comparitively.

how about the soundstage?

**The RS-1 has much better soundstage than the MS-1, but as a Grado it still won't have Sony/Beyer/Senn level soundstage.

also, would MS-pro be better for me since i already know i like the sound of the alessandro line?

**only your ears can tell. i love Alessandros, but I actually preferred the RS-1 over the MS-Pro due to its fun nature. up the chain i'd go MS-1, SR225, MS-2, RS-1.

last question, what would be the good price for the RS-1 and RA-1 pair? and where?

**$600 for the whole package if you are REALLY lucky and patient. I grabbed a pristine pair like that for 1911 by look for each part separately. But you may pay tween $450-475 for a RS-1, and $150-200 for a RA-1.

Aug 6, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 22
fogia & jahn: thank you very much for your quick answers.
i think i'm almost convinced RS-1 is the way to go.

regarding pricing of new pieces:
$695 for RS-1 + $350 for RA-1, is it pretty much the same everywhere you look? or can they be had for lower prices?

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 22
I've upgraded from ms-1 to RS-1. For me it was certainly worth it. The biggest benefit for me is that the RS-1 is much, much better when listening at low volumes. But at any volumes, MS-1 sounds a little plastic in comparison.

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 22
a ha...

this is exactly what i'm after..
with most phones, you really lose a lot with low volume, which incidentally i enjoy very much.

i guess it's like a vocalist with big powerful voice vs one who has to scream to get to a certain volume.

another reason to buy.. thx dude..

anyone else?

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 22
Yes, me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I suggest you read Jahn's answers again! To most of your questions the answer is NO. As a RS-1 owner myself I can say that the bass is BIG on the RS-1. Much more than the lower end Grado models. To me it's too much to listen to with flat or senn pads. And I like bass.
For your taste I would look somewhere else. I've never listened to any of the AKG headphones but from all I've read it seems to me that you should be asking questions about the K501. But ask others, I've only read about the K501s so I can't recommend them.

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 22
actually,
the fuller bass is the only 'con' for me at the moment.
all the others were actually 'pros' for me.

i used to think the UE superfi pro has a lot of bass, until i try the MS-1.
if this is the only thing, i think i may be willing to give it a try.

i never thought much about the AKGs for a couple of main reasons.
like you, bass is very important to me. from what i've been reading, i am afraid that i might find them to be to thin sounding for my taste.
second reason is that from time to time, i like to go unamped. the grados will probably sound better than the AKGs.

i also thought that since i enjoyed MS-1 so much, a grado or alessandro might be a more logical choice for me as an upgrade.

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 22
The full bass of the RS=1's is a product of source, amp and pads.

Change up any of those and the quantity and quality of the bass changes. First try the pads. Flats help the bass out a lot of you like it tighter and less "boomy." This is one of the main reasons John went with the bowls. With my vinyl rig, the bass is ridiculoulsy textured, detailed and very tight and snappy. It exhibits the quality of bass that the HP-1's often do. My vinyl rig though is a little expensive and the SME V arm is renowned for excellent bass reproduction. I get better bass with the RA-1 than I do with the Ear HP4 when using the vinyl rig, thougn everything else suffers compared to when using the Ear.

As far as the other sounds:

RS-1 is far more refined, the highs are articulate, not in your face like the lower models, extended but smooth. Mellow as you put it I consider to be natural, not emphasized. THis is how the RS-1's are for sure.

The mids are the best in the line, even compared with HP-1000's and PS-1's.

Soundstage is much improved, as is the headstage. I would even go so far as to say it is a night and day difference with regards to soundstage, it is just so huge with the RS-1's vs. the MS-1. Headstage is still compressed, venue is onstage, but in a good way. Instrument separation and imaging is excellent and easily bests the MS-1's but one would have to be listening for this in my opinion, it wouldn't jump right out at you (at least not to me). Just think of the MS-1 sound and think better in every single way. If that interests you, then yeah, for sure, go for it!

Lastly, if you want mellower highs, think about a tube amp. RS-1's work very very very well with tubes. Perhaps a Mapletree Audio Ear+ or an EMP Pro? I think either of these would do you very well. The Mapletree will give you better bass, and some tube rolling will get those highs as mellow as possible, save for the EMP. That amp is pure richness and I can't wait to hear one, but I do not know how well it does with bass, if it loosens it up or not. GoRedWings19 has the anniversary edition, Hirsch has owned all of them I think...either of them could answer those questions.

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 22
I might get flamed for this *putting on my abestos suit*, but have you ever considered the Beyerdynamic DT880? According to quite a number of people out there that the sound signature is along the lines of the Grado/Alessandro cans, very detailed treble and slightly shrill (but not as shrill as the Grado line), excellent mids, a killer for vocals... In other words, very detailed and if driven properly, you are looking at one of the best pairs of dynamic headphones out there (along with HD650 and RS1)

However, price wise, you are MUCH better off than the RS1. You can get a brand new DT880 for USD$225.95 shipped from Headroom. They will price match B&H Photo.

I personally have a MS1 as well and have just ordered a pair of DT880..

SH

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
I might get flamed for this *putting on my abestos suit*, but have you ever considered the Beyerdynamic DT880? According to quite a number of people out there that the sound signature is along the lines of the Grado/Alessandro cans, very detailed treble and slightly shrill (but not as shrill as the Grado line), excellent mids, a killer for vocals... In other words, very detailed and if driven properly, you are looking at one of the best pairs of dynamic headphones out there (along with HD650 and RS1)

However, price wise, you are MUCH better off than the RS1. You can get a brand new DT880 for USD$225.95 shipped from Headroom. They will price match B&H Photo.

SH

definitely could be a contender, but um...what shrill highs? Only the old 325's had those to my ears.

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by shochu
actually,
the fuller bass is the only 'con' for me at the moment.
all the others were actually 'pros' for me.

OK. Then I misunderstood you and I thought you would have possilby made a big mistake.

I'd try to audition the RS-1s first if I were you (or buy used). And I either misunderstand Zanth too or I disagree with him. If you don't want overwhelming bass from the RS-1s you'd be better of using bowl pads. If they are too uncomfortable you can get the senn pads and reverse them. That reduces the bass too and they are much more comfortable.

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan

SH

sionghchan,

please let me know how it goes when you get them.
i'd be interested to find out your opinion, coming from an MS-1.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back