would RS-1/RA-1 be a good upgrade from MS-1?
Aug 7, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Lastly, if you want mellower highs, think about a tube amp. RS-1's work very very very well with tubes. Perhaps a Mapletree Audio Ear+ or an EMP Pro? I think either of these would do you very well. The Mapletree will give you better bass, and some tube rolling will get those highs as mellow as possible, save for the EMP. That amp is pure richness and I can't wait to hear one, but I do not know how well it does with bass, if it loosens it up or not. GoRedWings19 has the anniversary edition, Hirsch has owned all of them I think...either of them could answer those questions.

i'm afraid the budget simply ins't there for the tubes you mentioned.

but..
i think i might have to go to HK next month. i can very easily cross the border to shenzhen to meet pick up the 'little dot 2' tubes from yang directly. that would cost about $60. well worth the effort and the risk of not liking the sound.

what do you think?

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 22
I went from MS-1 to DT-880 myself (albeit a vintage 600 Ohm version). This may be just the ticket for you.

First, bass is much less in-your-face, but tighter and better controlled.

Second, soundstage is leaps and bounds more expansive than the MS-1 (or RS-1).

Third, even if you find Grados comfortable, you'll almost certainly appreciate the wonderful feel of the Beyerdynamics.

Lastly, the DT-880 shares much of the same 'fun, up-front' presentation of the Grados, though I would say it's a different flavor than MS-1 or RS-1.

Let me recommend, though, no matter what cans you go with - the right amp can make all the difference. Search around for recommendations on something that synergizes well with your choice. Also, don't pass over DIY varieties - there is great value for money to be had.

Personally, I'm in love with the gutsy bass and general way rock/live recordings sound on higher-end Grados with flat pads.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by shochu
sionghchan,

please let me know how it goes when you get them.
i'd be interested to find out your opinion, coming from an MS-1.

thanks

Yeah..would love to...however, warpdriver actually gave us a really pretty good review on the DT880 just last night. I believe he is coming from the Grado SR225 cans...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131182

Actually, what you described, e.g. not necessarily very strong bass but quality bass, excellent mids and good treble, you seem to be describing the DT880. You should definitely audition them for yourself before deciding. Personally, for myself, the price/performance ratio was the deciding factor. It is rated as one of the top dynamic headphones out there (provided driven well), costs much less than a RS1 and HD650. Another deciding factor, I listen to a lot of Jazz Vocals and large orchestral music...so, soundstaging was important...and DT880 has lots.

However, I shouldn't say much more as I have to listen to them in detail first..and I'm still waiting for them to arrive via Canadapost...

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Soundstage is definately better. Not ALOT better like a sennheiser, but considerably better considering its a Grado can.

Sennheisers tend to have an exaggerated soundstage IMO. Not all recordings have the amount of space that the Senns portray.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
definitely could be a contender, but um...what shrill highs? Only the old 325's had those to my ears.

Sorry...I suppose I should have qualify my statement. I can only claim the "shrill highs" with SR60 and slightly on the MS1 as I have only had experience with these cans. SR60 with Bowl Pads has quite a lot of sibilence... MS1s are much better, but definitely still more bright as compared to HD600/HD280 (the only other two cans I have experience with).

However, personally, I don't mind the sibilence...I prefer a clearer sharper treble..
smily_headphones1.gif
Hence, my love for Grado/Alessandro and not the Senheisers (e.g. HD600 sounded a little too laid back, too veiled for my liking).

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by l_simon_l
I've upgraded from ms-1 to RS-1. For me it was certainly worth it. The biggest benefit for me is that the RS-1 is much, much better when listening at low volumes. But at any volumes, MS-1 sounds a little plastic in comparison.

Maybe I should have added that I for now use bowl pads. At high volumes the RS-1 with bowls can be a bit harsh, but on low volume it's amazing. IMHO that is of course
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
I went from MS-1 to DT-880 myself (albeit a vintage 600 Ohm version). This may be just the ticket for you.

First, bass is much less in-your-face, but tighter and better controlled.

Second, soundstage is leaps and bounds more expansive than the MS-1 (or RS-1).

Third, even if you find Grados comfortable, you'll almost certainly appreciate the wonderful feel of the Beyerdynamics.

Lastly, the DT-880 shares much of the same 'fun, up-front' presentation of the Grados, though I would say it's a different flavor than MS-1 or RS-1.

Let me recommend, though, no matter what cans you go with - the right amp can make all the difference. Search around for recommendations on something that synergizes well with your choice. Also, don't pass over DIY varieties - there is great value for money to be had.

Personally, I'm in love with the gutsy bass and general way rock/live recordings sound on higher-end Grados with flat pads.

hmmm...

there's a good deal on a headphile woody/recable darth beyer on the trading forum. should i give these a try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back