Would it be possible to create an imod with optical out to enable use of external DAC amps?
Jan 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kremer930

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi.  Just wondering if anyone has ever thought of modifying an ipod to not only take a signal feed from straight after the DAC chip as in the imod but to take a signal feed before the dac to an optical output jack?  If the headphone jack on a Macbook pro etc has dual electrical and optical, could the same be done on an ipod?This would be great as it would enable the use of external da converter headphone amps.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 13

I was more thinking along the lines of an old iPod classic version 5 etc where there is plenty of room to wire off the board but it is certainly interesting to see what is inside a new nano.

I need to look at a dual electric/ optical output jack and see what they require as far as a signal goes.

I really am hoping that there is someone far more experienced in this area to comment.

Cheers 

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 13

I really want it to be a fully portable option. Otherwise I could just use my laptop or Mac mini etc. A portable version of the wadia or onkyo would work. It would be more portable if a hack on an iPod could be done instead.  

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 13
I believe that in order to get a digital out it requires an additional IC. Making this an extremely difficult task if not impossible.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 13
Looks like I will have to start saving for the Algo Rhythym then.  That is certainly a great solution but getting expensive.  There was a time way back when I used to think that iPods were expensive.  Now they are just a small entry fee into the music carnival where the rides are way more expensive.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Looks like I will have to start saving for the Algo Rhythym then.  That is certainly a great solution but getting expensive.  There was a time way back when I used to think that iPods were expensive.  Now they are just a small entry fee into the music carnival where the rides are way more expensive.

Agreed, but how many Head-Fiers get to audition new headphones / amps with a source this good ? The potential is enormous.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 13
If Apple didnt encrypt the USB output then it would be no issue.  I wonder how much companies that make docks that manage a pure digital output from an ipod have to pay?

The Alogrhythm does look like it should offer a significant step up in sound quality from anything that is starting from a LOD output only.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 13
I think the price they charge must be going down. With the PURE iPod dock going for $99 it is nice to see they are becoming reasonable.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 13

Yes. Agree. Not sure why you would really need an iPod dock when you can stream your entire collection at up to 24/96 quality or hardwire to your computer for anything beyond 192 quality. From my understanding I think even with a digital dock that you are limited to 16/48.

16/48 is at least a significant step up when mobile compared to line out or worse the headphone out.

Wonder if Apple has plans to enable the iPod to deal with 24 bit any time soon? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back