Would I see any benefits with a DAC in my situation?
Jan 17, 2007 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GregBe

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Denon 2200 DVD/CD player feeding a PPAv2 amp. I currently own a pair of Beyer DT-880 (newest version), and I just ordered a pair of Senn 650. My goal is to do an extensive comparison and keep the one I like the best. I also may keep both if I find enough use for two headphones.

If I opt to sell one of them, I should have about $250-$300 to spend on something else. I have no problem buying used. Can a DAC in this price range improve on the DACs that are in the Denon?

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 8
Only from what I've read, but Denon is supposed to have excellent DACs in that series.

Improvement in a $200 DAC, I'm not so sure it would be a significant change, particularly if you are just going from the Denon directly into your headamp now and have decent interconnects.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 8
according to the specs sheet I found for the Denon, it contains a DAC (didn't name it) that supports 24bit, 192kHz. This is the highest sampling rates that DAC's support, and almost no audio you can find will ever be higher than 24 bit. Idk, what DAC chip it is using but it has to be pretty decent. So I would save your money and put it towards a new tube amp or 701's or something you want.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 8
i agree with the above folks. probably the amp is the weak link in the chain at this point, although if you are enjoying it don't worry about it!

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree with the above folks. probably the amp is the weak link in the chain at this point, although if you are enjoying it don't worry about it!

Jahn, I could probably sell whichever headphone I don't like for between $250-$300 and could probably get the same for the amp. What amp would you recommend that would improve on the PPA for $500-600 (used would be ok). This may be a tough question to answer depending on which headphone I decide to keep, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
according to the specs sheet I found for the Denon, it contains a DAC (didn't name it) that supports 24bit, 192kHz. This is the highest sampling rates that DAC's support, and almost no audio you can find will ever be higher than 24 bit. Idk, what DAC chip it is using but it has to be pretty decent. So I would save your money and put it towards a new tube amp or 701's or something you want.

I think a $200 DAC will not be hard to surpass what the Denon can do to begin with. However not having heard the Denon, nor able to discern which DAC chip(s) it is using, I can only read a spec of 24bit/192KHz as being a decent, and capable convertor. There are DAC/CD players which have dual DACs and can oversample to 384KHz, like the ones in the Azur 840C, but one will be hard pressed finding those equipments at $200.

For what you have already, the $200 may be better spent gathering some more music!

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 8
I agree with those recommending an amp for you. Which one to buy would depend on which pair of headphones you choose to keep.

If you keep the HD-650s, I find the Gilmore Lite/Dynalo to have excellent synergy with those headphones. Others report great results from the Heed Can Amp.

For the DT880, I'm crazy about them with tubes. For your price range, you'd be able to pick up something like the Mapletree Ear Purist, a used Singlepower, or maybe the Lunchbox or EC01 from Eddie Current.

One problem you'll run into is that you won't be able to judge both pairs with desktop amps. They sound different than portables, and you might like one or the other better with a full-sized setup.

That being said, both the HD-650 and DT880 are excellent headphones. You can't really go wrong with either, but you might prefer one to the other.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One problem you'll run into is that you won't be able to judge both pairs with desktop amps. They sound different than portables, and you might like one or the other better with a full-sized setup.

Actually my current amp is a desktop amp. It is not the PA2v2 which is an inexpensive portable; it is the PPAv2 which is a DIY desktop amp that MisterX built that I bought used for $300. I am not sure what it went for when it was new. Are some of the amps you recommend better than the PPA?

Thanks
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back